Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I don't know why people have to chase large, aggressive animals on snowmobiles instead of giving them space and giving them a chance to get off a trail. At least these yahoos had the decency not to shoot the poor bugger in "self defense."

·
Super Moderator
9,999 Posts
From what I have seen with moose is that you actually need to push them to get them to leave a trail. The first rider was doing that and the moose just didn't want to get off of the trail. The first rider stopped well short of the moose when the moose stopped and before the moose started to come back to him. Then you can see the second rider shooting into the air and the moose still didn't want to retreat.

I wonder if this moose knew how close he was to becoming burger? I know that after I fired the first couple of shots into the air if he would of come closer I would of emptied the pistol into him.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what I have seen with moose is that you actually need to push them to get them to leave a trail. The first rider was doing that and the moose just didn't want to get off of the trail. The first rider stopped well short of the moose when the moose stopped and before the moose started to come back to him. Then you can see the second rider shooting into the air and the moose still didn't want to retreat.

I wonder if this moose knew how close he was to becoming burger? I know that after I fired the first couple of shots into the air if he would of come closer I would of emptied the pistol into him.
I don't really have any experience with moose, and what you said might be very true. They do seem to be much less submissive than the other members of the deer family. In another video where the couple is being interviewed by the local news people the lady said that her pistol was a modest .380 auto and that played into her decision to not shoot the moose. She was scared of merely pissing it off with her little pea shooter.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
What were these kunckle heads thinking. U chase a Moose for God only knows how far.. And the Moose turns the tables on your dumb Arse. A+A+A+ for the Moose. More people killed an injured by Moose than Bears...These folks were just DUMB.

·
Super Moderator
9,999 Posts
Moose are like some old men and women. The are a animal that is set in their ways and they are not scared of anything.

From what I saw the snowmobilers did nothing wrong. The moose was moving along ahead of them but he just decided that he wasn't going to get off of the packed trail. When the moose stopped the rider stopped, then like a moose will do it became the aggressor and headed back to the machine and rider. Until you come upon a moose like this one you have no idea of what they are going to do.

Years ago I was hunting deer up Tie Fork in Spanish Fork Canyon and came upon a cow moose and her calf. I saw them more than 50 yards away coming down the trail that I was going up. I headed up the hill just to get away from them. I was over 50 yards up that hill and the cow came after me and even after her calf had passed where I had been and was well out of sight the cow kept on coming up the hill. She got within 10 yards and I was about to turn her into burger and steaks when she decided to head back down the trail to her calf. You just never know what they are going to do or what is on their minds.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Moose are like some old men and women. The are a animal that is set in their ways and they are not scared of anything.

From what I saw the snowmobilers did nothing wrong. The moose was moving along ahead of them but he just decided that he wasn't going to get off of the packed trail. When the moose stopped the rider stopped, then like a moose will do it became the aggressor and headed back to the machine and rider. Until you come upon a moose like this one you have no idea of what they are going to do.

Years ago I was hunting deer up Tie Fork in Spanish Fork Canyon and came upon a cow moose and her calf. I saw them more than 50 yards away coming down the trail that I was going up. I headed up the hill just to get away from them. I was over 50 yards up that hill and the cow came after me and even after her calf had passed where I had been and was well out of sight the cow kept on coming up the hill. She got within 10 yards and I was about to turn her into burger and steaks when she decided to head back down the trail to her calf. You just never know what they are going to do or what is on their minds.
My grandfather-in-law told me a story of an elk hunt he had in the Uintas a long, long time ago. He was walking down a game trail and came up upon a young bull. The bull started acting very aggressively and began circling him and making little bluff charges. He kept his .30-06 trained on him and yelled and screamed at the bull for awhile until it finally gave up and ran away. I've done all my big game hunting south of the Payson/Dixon line, so I don't ever run into these brutes. When I do I will definitely be on high alert. If I ever draw my OIAL (probably a big if) it will be fun to have a go at old Bullwinkle.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Watched this last year! Yes you do have to push them...I've waited for almost an hour before one finally decides to move, then I've made a bunch of racket and had them run off in a hurry. they are very unpredictable.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I have close encounters with moose on an annual basis. For the most part I've found that they mind their own business, but I have found ornery and cantankerous individuals that just don't want anything to do with pale, hairless, bipedal intruders.
I've had several encounters specifically during the rut in the fall that have ended with me taking a quick personal inventory and heading back to the cabin for a change of shorts. Moose are the reason I ended up getting my concealed carry so that I could carry a pistol on the muzzleloader deer hunt.
They look big and dumb and clunky... but when they want to those long gangly legs sure cover a lot of ground very quickly.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Harassing Wildlife!

This looks like harassing wildlife - plain and simple. Bull moose that has shed antlers mean its late winter/early spring. Animals are at their most vulnerable and this group runs the thing down the trail. If they had backed off I'd bet the moose would have moved off the trail.

In many states this would be illegal and should be. If you ask me another example of why stupid people and internal combustion don't mix.

If it was someone's dog chasing that moose we'd be discussing if it was legal to shoot it!! (See attached thumbnail)

Sorry, this stuff makes me kind of mad (and causes me to post).

Attachments

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I have a hard time seeing these guys did anything wrong...that bull just didn't want to get off the trail those riders were on. Glad the bull didn't get shot, but I would have a hard time blaming these folks if I had been the officer investigating it. They showed ALOT of restraint.

Moose are very unpredictable. I've had my share of encounters with them and try to make sure and give them a wide berth. You just never know. They are the biggest animal in the woods, and they know it!

·
Registered
1,441 Posts

There are alot of other things you do before you just start pushing / harassing moose or any animal for that matter

Revving your motor yelling pull the other sled up next to yours to look bigger have all effectively worked for me. Most of the time the moose move within a matter of 5 minutes even if it's only 5 yards off the road. Your first instinct should never be to push them

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Watcher . With you on this one. You can hear as well as see this nut case punch the gas.
This Moose was P--ed. Play with fire ya get burnt or stomped.

·
Registered
188 Posts
If you really want to pee your pants watch this one

:shock: These poor folks didn't have snow machines or guns and they survived. Wouldn't want to be in their shoes though!

Moving slower means a bit more flight and a bit less fight on the part of the moose.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
I have a hard time seeing these guys did anything wrong...that bull just didn't want to get off the trail those riders were on. Glad the bull didn't get shot, but I would have a hard time blaming these folks if I had been the officer investigating it. They showed ALOT of restraint....
Wow, really?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Both videos are completely different in moose behavior!

The snowmobilers could've avoided that confrontation. They put the moose in a situation that he felt he had to protect himself. If I was a C.O. That is 100% harassing wildlife. I would write a citation. You wouldn't start a fight with mike Tyson would you? I have a lot of moose in counters. And have been charged and false charged a few times. Each time I had a confrontation was because I got to close! Period! I never felt that I had to discharge my firearm.

The second video. The moose is already on the move. The people just happen to be in the only place that moose wanted to travel. They gave way and didn't threaten the moose. They did the right thing. The snowmobilers should have gave the moose more room and they would have had a different story to tell.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Bet that guy doesn't push anymore moose around with his sled....:grin:....

Reactions: Vanilla

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I'm with MW. Anyone who knows snow machines can hear that he is lagging trying to let the moose get ahead. While there were actions that he could have taken that would have been wiser in retrospect, I see nothing malicious in this video.

If it were me, the moose would have been shot after the initial charge that resulted in a near miss. One slip or trip and this situation could have been a quick fatality. At the onset of the final charge the moose would have gotten a clip full in his eye socket.

Write me a ticket, call me a jerk, whatever........I'd rather live and learn than die saving a moose.

Hopefully some good will come of these videos in that people will be more mindful and careful to avoid contact thus saving the lives of the poor irate meeses.-----SS

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Watching the first video I'm feeling like giving them the benefit of the doubt. Probably not much experience there with dealing with moose. I dont think they were purposely chasing the moose (although it did look that way) as much as hoping it would cut off out of the way eventually. It was pretty clear once that moose just held its ground they had a come to Jesus moment and thought "uh oh". That and they were clearly surprised and scared to death when it charged. Next time they come across a moose I bet they act a bit differently. Rookie mistake I'm thinking. Not that that would get them out of a ticket if a CO witnessed it. Moose are IN CHARGE whenever I come across one. Until I've got that moose tag in my pocket in 50 years then I'm the boss.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hopefully some good will come of these videos in that people will be more mindful and careful to avoid contact thus saving the lives of the poor irate meeses.-----SS[/QUOTE]

S.S. Is right about the education. If you are going out into an environment that you are unfamiliar with. You need to prepare for that environment. I.e. If you may encounter moose. Wouldn't you learn about their behavior?

I agree that when it comes right down to the moment. The moose would find it's fate before I would.

With that said. If you don't educate yourself for what environment you are entering. You kind of sealed your fate in a way.

" I didn't know that I was trespassing" =ignorant.

"I'm going to try to get this moose off the trail so I can keep riding. I didn't realize that he out weighs me by 1000 pounds and could possibly trample me if I get to close or corner him". =Ignorant

Would you put your child on a buffalo in Yellowstone to get a pic?
Would you sleep with candy in your tent in bear country?
Does a cat have an Arse?

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
Bet that guy doesn't push anymore moose around with his sled....:grin:....
Exactly my thoughts. Regardless of proper sled vs moose protocol, to push or not to push, I can guarantee you that after that initial charge, when it was only his sled between him and the beast, and he looks behind him to see what over is there...he was absolutely regretting pushing that moose!

I don't think their acts were malicious either. But you don't have to be malicious to be stupid.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts