Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
That sucks. At least you know all the dead birds aren't from slob hunters. I guess that is a posative?

Glad to see Tom knows his stuff:

How avian cholera came to Utah remains a mystery. "For a long time people thought it was snow geese that carried this around, sort of like Typhoid Mary," Aldrich said. "But we don't get snow geese here."
:lol:

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
donttreadonme said:
That sucks. At least you know all the dead birds aren't from slob hunters. I guess that is a posative?

Glad to see Tom knows his stuff:

How avian cholera came to Utah remains a mystery. "For a long time people thought it was snow geese that carried this around, sort of like Typhoid Mary," Aldrich said. "But we don't get snow geese here."
:lol:
If that was true about snow geese, Arkansas would be covered 2 foot deep in dead waterfowl. :wink:

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Read that link that I posted in the other thread on avian cholera... it is true about snow geese. They are verified carriers of the disease and usually account for large dieoffs in the Texas area. It may seem like Tom has no clue but I give the man credit. He wouldn't be the head waterfowl biologist for the state if he had no clue what he was talking about. In this case, I'd guess he's stating a generalization to be taken as snow geese are rare here and we don't get the typical flocks of thousands that the folks in the central or Mississippi flyways are used to seeing.... at least not during our hunting season. I guess the snow goose festival in the spring would be the exception to that. 8)

·
Registered
449 Posts
Tom knows his stuff.

We do get a sizeable snow goose migration in Utah; in the spring!
With all of the flyways crisscrossing and the long distances that waterfowl migrate, it's no wonder that a disease such as avian cholera shows up like it does. Where bird concentrations are very high, and the resources are in high demand, the birds get stressed and weaker;this leaves them susceptible to cholera. Those rafts of 10-30K spooners and teal on the GSL are just such a scenario for avian cholera. Just my $0.02. :wink:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts