Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have grown up hunting this area when my family had hunting rights above Causey Res, but since my family sold that cabin I no longer have that access. I have been wanting to put in for that area for moose and have 5 points so far, but I am having a difficult time putting the CWMU maps together to give me an idea of huntable land. Has anyone hunted this area for Moose? I have seen some very nice bulls up there in past years, but I dont think they were on public land. All I can find is slivers here and there but that is it.

I know I have a long time till I draw but wanted to know if I was wasting my time putting in for this hunt. I also have no idea how CWMU works and if you can contact the land owner to see if the tag could be used on their land. I need to do more research about that, but thought I would ask.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks gents.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I have no info on your hunt unit, but yes, if you want to try the CWMU route, you should contact the operator before applying. The link to all the available CWMUS is on the DWR website.-

http://wildlife.utah.gov/maps/public/list_cwmus.php

You should definitely contact the operator for specifics on the tag. While I have never hunted a CWMU myself, I did call a few for questions on a hunt i'm looking at doing this fall. All those that I spoke to were very nice to converse with and were happy to share ino on their unit. I know this is not the case across the board, but generally speaking, it's probably true.

If you do get a CWMU tag, it's only good on the CWMU (ranch) you're hunting. You cannot legally go outside those boundaries.

You do likely do have quite a while before drawing....Good luck!!

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Also, if you do not have a CWMU tag, you cannot hunt the CWMU regardless of landowner permission (unless the species you are hunting isn't one of the ones regulated for that CWMU).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. Been out scouting a few times this past weekend up in that unit and haven't seen anything yet. Normally I would have spotted at least a cow or cow & calf by now, but nothing. I was just wondering because due to the small spots that are huntable that are not CWMU I was concerned about downing an animal and for some reason it tracks onto the CWMU property. The 375 Ruger I am going to be using means I doubt this will happen, but its always a fear hunting close to property that is off limits. I think ill throw my points towards a different unit though. Thanks again gents!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts