Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning several mountain bike excursions to fishing destinations this summer. I have wondered, however, about certain trail designations. Some have posted no motorized vehicles and others have no vehicles. Are any of you familiar if this is the same designation or two seperate designations. A mountain bike is considerd a vehicle so I'm stumped. Anyone have info about this or am I better off calling the Forest Service?

·
Registered
17 Posts
HighNDry,
I asked that question last year to a forest service employee. I do a bit of biking and fishing myself and was wondering the same thing. His reply was that unless the trail is specifically closed to mountain bikes, which would mean the sign would say basically "no mountain bikes", in addition to other vehicle restrictions (motorized or not) , then it was fine to ride on the trails with a mountain bike.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank You. I think that opens up a few options.

I like to use my bike as a fishing tool. Sometimes, I'll drive up to my take out point lock the bike to a tree (as out of view as possible) drive downstream and park, then I fish up to the bike and then ride down to the vehicle. Or do it in reverse too. Fun times.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
HighNDry said:
Thank You. I think that opens up a few options.

I like to use my bike as a fishing tool. Sometimes, I'll drive up to my take out point lock the bike to a tree (as out of view as possible) drive downstream and park, then I fish up to the bike and then ride down to the vehicle. Or do it in reverse too. Fun times.
That is a really good idea you can cover a lot more water that way, thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anytime!

Only drawback I have encountered is a few guys have jumped into the area I'm fishing and said they didn't see a car anywhere so didn't realize I was in there. Some leave others jump in and kind of put a damper on my solitary adventure.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Used to do the same thing on float trips when I was alone. Put the bike in the raft or canoe, float down about twenty miles, bike up and get the car and then pick up the raft or canoe. I don't trust people enough anymore to leave equipment unattended, so I haven't done that for years. :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts