Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I saw the DWR is transplanting mountain goats from the Ogden unit. Does anyone know how many and where they are going?

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
What a joke. Take every animal from the ogden unit and move them. Idiots...

·
Registered
658 Posts
There's an over abundance of goats up there on the Ogden unit. They thrive up there. The hunt on that unit isn't all that hard especially since there are goats around every corner. I support them moving the goats to help other herds or start new ones. I think 2 years ago the sent some down to the la sals east of Moab AND CREATED A NEW HERD!!!!!! Good move dwr!!!!!

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
What is your "good" move thoughts on all the moose they took from the ogden several years ago and transplanted elsewhere in another state? We spent several days watching as helicopters flew dozens of them out of the unit in big nets.
Im nit saying it cannot use to loose some goats, because there are a lot, but the moose thing was a joke.

·
Senior Goof
3,605 Posts
What is cool is that every year they transplant goats of the Ogden unit, during people's ONCE IN A LIFETIME hunt.

They moved moose from Cache and Ogden units, FAIL. They traded Elk for Turkeys, FAIL.

However, the goat transplants have been successful. They will only fail when Ogden has a period of decline, right after they transplant a bunch. Then they will be bringing goats back.

I worry about all the species doing well because the DWR is starting to do their "guess-management" and "wonder if this will work" initiatives that you see in the RAC recommends.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
We did my dad's OIAL goat hunt on the beaver unit smack dab in the middle of them air lifting tons of goats for the la Sal transfer. At first we were miffed thinking it would be an interference, but we quickly realized it was no big deal. I fully support transplanting goats from healthy populations to create new ones. They seem to handle the strain really well.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I don't think the moose transplants really have any bearing on the thread topic. But, if we are going rhere, it's not the moose transplants that are dropping the moose numbers in this state. It's the **** parasites and liver flukes. The transplanting had nothing to do with that.

Reactions: WEK

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
They took 39 moose from the ogden unit. Dont tell me it has/had nothing to do with it.

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't understand the moose transplant. Our moose aren't doing good so why you would ship them off to another state is beyond me.

So are these goats going to the Nebo unit then?

·
Registered
580 Posts
The goats from willard were moved to the dutton according to a DWR biologist. Don't know how many were moved.... got 12 the first day and they were hoping to get 20 more.

·
Registered
565 Posts
There's an obvious supply and demand issue with mountain goats. Establishing new herds and augmenting existing herds to bring them to huntable levels is awesome. Big picture: mountain goat numbers in Utah have more than tripled in the last 20 years and more than doubled in the last 15. Yeah it temporarily sucks for the guys putting in for the high density units the goats are taken from, but in the long run, these goats are still huntable, just in different places where they can supplement low density units. Did I mention it gets people though the OIL applicant pool faster?
More goats... win
More huntable units... win.
More tags in the pot... win.
Applicants get through OIL pool faster... win

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As long as they aren't leaving the state it's a good thing.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts