Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after 20+ years of hunting the Current Creek area. It's time myself and brother move to the othrr side of hwy 35. We have taken many spikes and cows from the CC area. But we have never hunted a bull. I know the CC area like the back of my hand, But never hunted the other side for a big bull. What am I getting myself into? Bulls are much different then cows and a spike. What's the Terrain like, what's the accessibility (atv, horse, walk-in)? Is the weather different does anyone how much higher it's than CC area. Man thelist goes on any help would be great.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
I've spent quite a bit of time North
Of Hwy 35 moose hunting and youth
Elk hunts the last few years.
I'm amazed at how FEW elk we've seen!

What you can expect is this,
The most hunters you've ever encounterd,
And the lowest density of elk.

Reactions: goonsquad

·
Registered
573 Posts
In 10+ years of bow hunting North of I-35, I've seen quit a few elk scouting June/July but thinking back to elk actually seen while hunting and it's literally 8...... 8!!!!!

·
Registered
316 Posts
In 10+ years of bow hunting North of I-35, I've seen quit a few elk scouting June/July but thinking back to elk actually seen while hunting and it's literally 8...... 8!!!!!
Does that mean that you are continuing to hunt it for 10 years for deer and incidentally see elk, or that yout are a masochistic elk hunter?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Lots of hunters and especially road hunters. Get off the road and there are a few elk around. Most everything is walk in/horse hunt areas except for SS Yellowstone area. You can use ATVs there, but with that option is lots of hunters. But, you can still be successful.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I made the same move after hunting current creek area for 10 years. Lots of elk in there 5 years ago and it has been going down hill quickly. Elk are not there, or what few elk are around get pushed to private cwmu's, (yes i have video of this, and turned them in). I tried the area north of 35 and didn't have the luck or elk i wanted even off the road and trails. So after 3 years i am in a new area. Best of luck! It is tough hunting but can be done!

·
758 Posts
I made the same move after hunting current creek area for 10 years. Lots of elk in there 5 years ago and it has been going down hill quickly. Elk are not there, or what few elk are around get pushed to private cwmu's, (yes i have video of this, and turned them in). I tried the area north of 35 and didn't have the luck or elk i wanted even off the road and trails. So after 3 years i am in a new area. Best of luck! It is tough hunting but can be done!
Paragliders

·
Registered
280 Posts
I've seen a lot of elk hunting up there, but they are willy and live in the deep dark pines. Had a few shots over the last few years but I suck sending pointy sticks down range...:cry:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have been hunting Soapstone for like 6 years. It took some time and lots of hiking to find areas where they are. This last year I shot a spike opening morning. Then 2 days later I got a calf and my Dad got a cow. There are plenty of elk if you like to hike. The Elk are normally in the really thick trees. I got lucky with the spike. Shot it just off the dirt road. Some one chased it off the top of a hill right to me. But other than that I have never seen elk in the open.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts