Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyone on this forum that really knows the Dutton unit? I'm starting to prepare for a 2016 elk hunt and have some questions about trailhead access, horse country (feed & water) and trail systems. I'd like to talk with someone (PM) who has experience on this unit.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Get in shape is the best advice. After that, spend your time wisely finding good scouting spots and find a bull you want before you hike in, out, up, and down in that rugged country. I did just that and it wears a guy out QUICK!! Spend lots of time looking at maps and finding springs and ridge lines you can follow out to spot off of from the few roads on that rock pile. You find water, elk will be there. Here is what you have to look forward to. Good luck!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Too bad Prooutdoors doesn't still post on this site, he would be the man to talk to about Dutton.

I haven't been there since the big fire so things may have changed but I found good elk in the Forest Creek and Pine Creek areas.

But agree with what has been said, it is a rugged hunt.

Put "Dutton" in the search on this site and you will find a lot said about that unit.

·
Registered
168 Posts
The Dutton is very rugged where the bigger bulls live. The south half of the Unit holds the biggest bulls. The trophy quality has diminished greatly over the last few years. 320 to 340 is the average mature bull, obviously larger bulls do exist on this Unit but not in the numbers as they did 8 or 10 years ago.
Pine and Forest Creeks were mentioned, there are elk in both but both get pounded very hard. Check out from Deep Creek south.
Most drainages have a trickle of water in the bottom but not all are horse friendly.
There are usually horse camps at Deer Creek and Cottonwood accessing from Johns Valley.
Scout to learn the country but keep in mind where the bulls are in July and early August is generally not where they will be in Sept. and Oct.
Best piece of advise has already been given, get in shape! This place is affectionately named "the rock pile" for a reason.
I believe the Boulder has bigger bulls and more accessible country to hunt.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts