Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I wanted to ask you guys about using your mud motors in the off season for fishing the lakes how that works out for you if you use them? Been thinking about taking mine out this weekend so just wanted some thoughts if it's better to just buy a cheap outboard.

·
Registered
6,329 Posts
I have a Honda 10 hp outboard that I use on my Jon boat, but this year I didn't want to pull the 27 longtail off and headed to Fish Lake with it. I got some strange looks, but it's faster than the Honda and we caught a bunch of fish. I say use what you got.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a Honda 10 hp outboard that I use on my Jon boat, but this year I didn't want to pull the 27 longtail off and headed to Fish Lake with it. I got some strange looks, but it's faster than the Honda and we caught a bunch of fish. I say use what you got.
Hey fowl are you trolling with it or just throwing anchor and staying put?

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
10 horse outboard...geeze what are you using a pirogue? ;-) I loved dad's boat he had a 40 horse evinrude on a 14 foot dura craft...I only had a 25 horse evinrude on my 14 foot dura craft...in LA we tend to overpower them just a tad. :shock:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just got back from Fish Lake on Saturday and did real well. We trolled and caught a 3 man limit in an hour. I think it would be more burdensome to use a mud motor but maybe it's worth trying your mud motor. If all else fails you might be able to talk one of the marinas into renting just a trolling motor.
On a side note we were fishing the east side of the lake using an assassin and worm or pop gear and worm. Just make sure you have enough worms.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I use my mud motor all year round. I have fished east canyon, pineview, Willard bay, mantua etc etc with my mud boat. it works great.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
i used to troll for wipers in mine quite a bit. (i drag a five gal bucket to get the speeds down to about 3mph) This is on a 17' xpress boat, and a modded 35 hyperdrive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts