Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking about hunting turkeys with a muzzle loader. Anyone have any experience with that. Would be interested in type of gun, loads anything.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Now you're talking. I've layed low many a fine turkey with my old smoke pole. I would recommend a 10 ga double barrel for a start. Pick up one from Cabellas. I have used old guns a time or two but it is very hard to find a safe old gun and when you do they cost a lot. Don't buy one of those fancy single shot inline jobs...hell, might as well shot your Mossberg if you don't use a traditional style gun. It is easy to work up a load...most modern 10 ga's recommend a MAXIMUM charge of 110 grains of powder. After you measure the VOLUME of the 110 grain charge, use a equal VOLUME amount of shot. With your new gun, start with loads of around 90 grains and work up. Use 3-4 pre-lubed Wonder Wads over the powder and 1 of the same for your over-shot and you're ready to go. One tip I will pass on...using a little more shot than powder usually will give you a better pattern (never exceeding the 110 grains of powder). Good luck and feel free to PM me if you have any more questions.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks BPturkeys, I appreciate the advise. It is on my Christmas list. What make would you recommend. My wife will need specific instructions etc.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I haven't hunted turkey (still waiting to draw) but I have hunted dove, ducks, pheasant and grouse with the muzzle loader. I use a 12 gauge and the max load for mine is 90 grains of powder and equal volume of shot. One other ting you can do to help improve patterns is to use a shot cup, cut from a plastic wad, on top of your over powder wads.

Swing by Cabelas put one up to your shoulder and see how it fits you....The guns lock design is so simple that there is not a lot that can go wrong with them so I don't think the brand is as important as finding a gun that fits you.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
OK, tell her to go down to Cabellas and buy you the Cabellas bouble barrel 10 or 12 gauge blackpowder shotgun with choke tubes. The guns are made in Italy by I think Petersoli. In the mean time, read up on the things. After Christmas and you've had her out shooting a few times if you are having any troubles at all, just blog here and I bet we can get it shootin for you. You lucky dog, not many wives will buy you a new shotgun for christmas..you owe her!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Goshawk said:
. One other ting you can do to help improve patterns is to use a shot cup, cut from a plastic wad, on top of your over powder wads. .
My dad shot his first turkey a few years ago with a 12 gauge muzzleloader. I know he devised a paper shot cup by simply wrapping the shot in paper and twisting the load closed. I know he read somewhere that this was a method originally used to create tighter patterns. I'd have to call him to get all the specifics, but I know it was something along those lines. It was pretty awesome to see that thing belch smoke, and hear the turkey flapping around somewhere on the other side!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. I am getting excited. I appreciate the advice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts