Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My goal this year was to put my 13-year old son on a buck (Since I dropped the ball and didn't get the hunters Ed done last year). Opening morning was a little slow and we saw very few deer in an area we knew there were some good bucks. Ended up not even seeing a deer in the area that morning. Tons of track and other deer sign, but they just weren't there.

Saw quite a few deer in the evening, but all does and fawns. The following day, we get out in the morning and hike into an area we thought we'd see some deer. Ended up seeing only two does and decided we would get to another area while it was relatively early. While driving, we started to see some movement, found a small 3 point to put him on. We put a stalk on him, had the gun on the bi-pod but he couldn't stop shaking and the deer walked into the brush. I knew he hadn't gone anywhere, so I quietly walked around trying to push the deer back out. Ended up getting about 40 yards from him and broadside and he walked the opposite way! Should of had my son come with me in stead of sitting there waiting for the buck to come out.

Later that night, we were able to stalk in on this spike to about 50 yards. Got him on the bi-pod again. We had worked on his breathing earlier in the day following his previous experience. This paid off as he put this buck down in one devastating shot.

This was by far the funnest hunt I've done in a while. Not a trophy by inch standards, but it was the best buck I've experienced in harvesting! What a blast. Proud of my son for working to get to know how his muzzy shoots, and take the old mans coaching!

Fun hunt!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Nice job. Nothing beats the precious few years we get to hunt with our kids. Sharing experiences with them is the best. Thanks for sharing.-------SS

1 - 11 of 11 Posts