Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yup . Total destruction. Blew the left and right side of the upper to pieces and the Picaninnany rail on the top buckled. Magazine blew out the bottom. Called the manufacturer and they want it back. I'm sure I'm not going to get anything out of it. Maybe it will give them info so someone else will benefit. No injuries but man oh man pieces went everywhere. On the phone they felt it was due to case failure . We'll see what the say after they tear it apart. They did want to know if I crimped or not. And the answer is no I don't. I think I'm done with the rattle guns. About $1300 to 1500 gone. -O,- Be careful guys.

·
Registered
9,889 Posts
Glad you are ok! Everything I've read is its usually due to barrel obstructions. I dont see how brass case failure would cause this... brass is to malleable. How was the previous round?

-DallanC

·
Premium Member
8,234 Posts
FWIW...my brother had a hot load in a Browning that blew it to pieces. Browning proved it was a reloading issue but replaced the firearm. Brother still has shrapnel embedded 40 years later.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Glad you are ok! Everything I've read is its usually due to barrel obstructions. I dont see how brass case failure would cause this... brass is to malleable. How was the previous round?

-DallanC
First off, very glad you're OK

I agree. Guns don't just blow up. Something was amiss for sure and the brass would be one of the last things I'd suspect, and I don't think you could crimp a bullet enough to make a gun "blow up". Double charge is the usual cause, barrel obstruction right in the chamber mouth??
Anyway, keep us posted.

·
Registered
6,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes . I got pics I may post at a later date. Pistols are easy to double charge. Rifles not so much. There would be powder everywhere. 25.5 to 26 grns of Winchester 748 is the load. 55 grn Dogtown HP is the projectile. Crimping (for clarification) stops the projectile from seating to deep and compressing the powder when the bolt carrier slams into the round when it is chambered. I was shooting paper and sighting in a scope , checking each shot to walk the scope in. It was doing really well with some great groups. I have owned this rifle for 8 + years and shot tons of reloads through it. The round did go into battery all the way. So far without literally tearing the rest of the receiver to pieces to get the bolt carrier out it looks like a brass failure. More will be known when the manufacturer tears it apart. The manufacturer said the gun broke apart as intended. Never hold onto the magwell when shooting an AR. The overload of pressure goes down , up and out the sides of the aluminum receiver. Be safe guys. My gunsmith says he's now seen 4 of these in his career.

·
Premium Member
4,049 Posts
There wasn't any 300 blackout in the neighborhood was there?

·
Premium Member
11,689 Posts
Good you are safe Al, but we really need pics!:mrgreen:

Reactions: Al Hansen

·
Registered
6,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Goob. I'm not so good at the computer shtuff. It was bad. But I still have all my fingers hands and eyes. I'm a blessed man.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I finally pick up an AR and this is the first post I come back to... I have to say it makes me hesitant to shoot it despite knowing that millions and millions of rounds go through millions of guns without a hiccup.

Glad to see that you're okay! Everyone be safe out there!

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
That's crazy! It even bent your scope mount. Looks like the scope is the only thing that survived unscathed.

Glad you kept all your digits!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts