Utah Wildlife Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,234 Posts
Jeez Al, that ain't pretty....

Really glad you walked away from that one, I'd bet money your shooting glasses were on. And I'd bet some of that shrapnel hit 'em. ?

I think you tightened the scope mounts to tight....;)

Squib.....

·
Registered
6,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Jeez Al, that ain't pretty....

Really glad you walked away from that one, I'd bet money your shooting glasses were on. And I'd bet some of that shrapnel hit 'em. ?

I think you tightened the scope mounts to tight....;)

Squib.....
Don't know for sure yet, but the best theory so far is that there are two opinions on shooting AR ammo. One is crimp and the other is no crimp. The manufacturer of the rifle is sending me a box to mail them the whole rifle. They want it and "may " work with me on the replacement. We'll see. Back to the theory....... if you don't crimp the bullet may slam backwards into the case when the bolt carrier slams into the brass to put the round into battery / chamber the round. If the bullet goes to deep it will do two things 1. compress the powder charge making way to much pressure and 2. the bullet may have difficulty getting into the throat of the barrel once the rifle is fired, causing to much pressure. Now this can also happen with factory ammo as well as reloads. If you go online and put in AR Kaboom or AR Failure you will see a lot of AR's that have done the same thing. Please never fire and AR without protection for your eyes. And never use the magwell to hold onto. I know there are companies that are shaving off ounces of aluminum on the lowers and uppers to make them lighter but after this experience I wouldn't do it. Be safe guys.

·
Registered
9,889 Posts
Back to the theory....... if you don't crimp the bullet may slam backwards into the case when the bolt carrier slams into the brass to put the round into battery / chamber the round. If the bullet goes to deep it will do two things
Sorry, I've been away from a keyboard too long and I hate typing long messages on tiny keyboards.

You are correct that the bolt coming forward and striking a stationary case, can cause the uncrimped bullet to setback deeper into the case. But I've always thought that the effect is much less than when the entire cartridge slams into the chamber at high speed, and the bullet slips forward towards the lands.

Stop and think about how far the bolt has traveled from its most rearward position to where it first impacts the case. What is the rate of speed of the bolt at this point? How hard of an impact is it? Now think about the remainder of the stroke of the bolt, and how much more speed it can build up pushing that case forward only to slam to a stop when it hits the chamber. That is where I always felt bullets would shift in cases, not from compressing into a case but from shifting out of the case into the rifling's.

I look forward to hearing what the MFG finds as they inspect it. I've fired an awful lot of ar15 rounds... I'd love to know if there is something more I can do to avoid any potential failure conditions.

-DallanC

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
You don't happen to have the brass case (or what's left of it) do you? I'd be interested to see how and where the case separated. By the looks of your rifle it probably exploded into pieces anyways, but it makes me wonder.

·
Registered
6,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
You don't happen to have the brass case (or what's left of it) do you? I'd be interested to see how and where the case separated. By the looks of your rifle it probably exploded into pieces anyways, but it makes me wonder.
They haven't shipped me the box yet. But the bolt is stuck in the closed position. I'm pretty sure the case or what's left of it is stuck in the chamber.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Glad you came out okay AL.
Very scary deal.

A young man here in town had a muzzle loader blow up on him last fall while sighting in.
He was not so lucky. Has had a couple of surgeries on his hand. Tore it up pretty bad.

·
Registered
6,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Glad you came out okay AL.
Very scary deal.

A young man here in town had a muzzle loader blow up on him last fall while sighting in.
He was not so lucky. Has had a couple of surgeries on his hand. Tore it up pretty bad.
Dang. Sorry to hear this. Prayers to him. Please everyone wear those shooting glasses. And be safe.

·
Registered
6,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Update. Well it has been a week. No shipping box has shown up. Called the manufacturer (again). New guy on the phone says we don't usually take a rifle back in and my response was "that's not what the guy said last Friday when it blew up". He got off the phone for 30 seconds and came back on with a shipping number and some more things then politely asked if there were any injuries. Uh no, but thanks for asking. If this goes sideways I'll post up lotsa pics (with Goobs help ) and who the company is. :mad:

·
Registered
6,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Update. The shipping box came in late Friday and it was shipped out yesterday morning. Should hear back from the manufacturer in about 1-2 weeks.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Bumping this old thread. Did you ever get a verdict back from the mfg Al?

·
Registered
6,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Not really. They rebuilt it and I still have it. I shoot it but not often. I think the opinion was that the bolt slammed the round it to battery and the projectile dislodged into the rifling. to much pressure when I touched it off, Who knows. It was bad. but thank you Lord. No injuries. I do know that when I shoot a AR I don't hold on to the magazine

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Not really. They rebuilt it and I still have it. I shoot it but not often. I think the opinion was that the bolt slammed the round it to battery and the projectile dislodged into the rifling. to much pressure when I touched it off, Who knows. It was bad. but thank you Lord. No injuries. I do know that when I shoot a AR I don't hold on to the magazine
Thanks for the reply Al. I'm glad you were not injured. Thanks to you and this post, I always grit my teeth just a bit more when I squeeze the trigger on an AR. I hope you are doing well old friend.

·
Registered
6,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Thanks for the reply Al. I'm glad you were not injured. Thanks to you and this post, I always grit my teeth just a bit more when I squeeze the trigger on an AR. I hope you are doing well old friend.
doing pretty darn good. Thanks . Yes me to. Took awhile to not flinch. I shoot only factory crimped ammo in the AR now.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts