Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it was bound to happen. After all the time spent hunting, I had an up close and personal encounter. TWICE! Sitting in my ground blind last year while archery hunting, awaiting the elk, I spy with my little eye a sow and her cub. I KNOW. My heart sunk, I whispered oh God. Yes I have bear spray and yes, I froze. After a moment I gathered my wits and since she was about 70 yards away she hadn't discovered me yet but I didn't want her any closer. I grabbed a stick and started hitting the tree and saying go away bear. She stared me down for a while as I continued to make a ruckus. Her baby finally had had enough and turned and headed back into the treeline.

I wasn't sure whether to high tail it out of there. I was afraid she would see me leaving and come after me as I headed away. Couple moments later she appeared again headed my way. In the spot I hunt is a pond and there are usually a bunch of moo cows hanging around (which has been pretty annoying) and sure enough, they are there and notice the Bear. This cow and his brethren aren't afraid of the bear and cub, and they actually put themselves in between the bear and I, and right then and there I decide to evacuate, knowing if that bear sees me and is interested, she is going to have to go around this bunch of cows to get to me. Needless to say i did make it out of there and ran to my ATV. So this is all prior to 6pm and my night hunt is screwed up.

Got back to camp, told the hubs and FIL about my experience. I don't think they believed me. I made hubby hunt with me same spot the next night. Sure enough, she comes running in with her cub from behind us and within 30 FEET of us. The cub starts climbing the tree right near my ground blind. TERRIFYING! We both grab for a branch and start hitting the tree and i hand him the bear spray. I cannot believe she just sat there and watched us for a few moments. Again her baby decides she doesn't like the noise we are creating and starts to run off. Thank heavens mom reluctantly follows.

After she leaves, hubby finds not only is there a dead moo cow 30 yards behind my ground blind (no wonder we kept getting a whiff of something dead every once in a while). But also about 40 yards away there is a freaking bear trap! Are you kidding me? No wonder shes coming in! Cut to 2 days later and father in law decides to checkout the bear trap and lo and behold a HUGE boar is in the trap. He notifies us and we go take a look, from far away, and sure enough huge brown boar. Looked like he'd been there at least a day or so, the fight was gone out of him. I had no idea if this was poaching so called the hotline. Apparently a rancher had called and reported this nuisance bear for killing some of his cattle.

Things i got of this experience: 1) Always have bear spray. 2) I'm glad the mellow sow came in and not the boar. 3) The cows are my saviors (lol). I will never be mad at another cow while hunting. 4) Have go pro ready to go next time.

Wonder what this years hunt will bring?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Did the Division ever come get the trapped Bear? Last year my oldest sons trophy Book Cliff Elk hunt was Crazy with bears. 17 different Bears in 20 days. One little Blond phase that came into camp and attacked the 3 d target that was behind there trailer at 2 in the afternoon. my grand son has it on his phone racked of 15 shots in the air. the Bear coulda cared less there encounter with the 3d killer was only one of about 5 close calls>> Don't know where you were. but this old boy does not do the Books>>Manti>>Uintas >> Gorge or the Boulders with out the 41Mag and Bear Spray.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Don't worry about those bears. They're more scared of you than you are of them. ;-)

It was after several experiences like this that I decided to go bear hunting.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes they came and got the bear within a few hours of us calling.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts