Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't have high hopes for today but was hoping for a little luck as I set up for pinners this morning. After an hour and a half with no birds moving and only 2 pinners looking at me I picked up ran home and grabbed the wife, the little one and her gun and proceeded to a couple of ponds I had just acquired permission for. We recently had a big push of canvasbacks move in and I was hoping to catch one on one of these small ponds. Well as I walked up to my surprise guess what was sitting there asleep.......... I hollered at him and he jumped, one shot from the 28 and he was laying dead on the water. I walked back to the truck with a big smile on my face and grabbed my dog out to go and make the retrieve. As I walked down to line my dog out a drake woodie busted from under the brush and of course no gun in my hand he flew off. As luck would have it he circled right back over my head and went straight into the second pond and lit. I told the wife to grab here gun and we quickly snuck over for here to try and get him. Well we got to this tinny brushed in pond and couldn't see anything so I positioned her for the shot and move around to try and bump him when all of a sudden she says there's two mallards what do I do, I said shoot them right as they flushed. Well the birds came up and I dropped the mallards while she shot as the woodie missing him all three shots lol. After the shooting was done I asked her what happened and with almost a tear in her eyes she said, I don't think I every even got my head down on my gun.... I felt so bad for her. She had shot one hen woodie but never a drake and not was this a dandy. We proceeded to mess with some birds on a small reservoir with her getting shots at pinners, redheads, and teal but today was just not her day. We went back a little later in the day just to see if by chance that woodie had came back in but the only thing we found were three more mallards which she chose not to shoot at and I doubled on. With time running out she wanted to check one more pond so off we went. I snuck up with binoes and as luck would have it there was 1 big can and a bunch of mallards. She made the stock in and jumped the can and with one shot laid him out clean. Her first ever can. We have two more days too go down here but I'm finished on the ducks, her now......I promised to take here back both days to see if she can get one more crack at the woodie..... Fun day and Fun finish for me and for here we Will see......

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Nice! Those are some studly cans too, you have some good dinners in your future.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Some pretty birds there. Too bad about the woodie, I know how it feels to miss on a birds you see only every few years, still haunts my dreams.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts