Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
The road from Antimony is the only road that gets ya to the very top. Some lower elevation trails along the south and west faces.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I'd spend a lot of time satellite scouting, which will also reveal the primary roads. You'll see obvious places hunters will congregate but there are access roads into other areas that also hold elk.

Beware that some of the trails marked even on quality maps either don't exist anymore or have been swallowed up by aspen regeneration. More than once while scouting I could hear elk bugling nearby but couldn't find a route through the aspen that didn't include nightmares of getting lost in the endless thicket.

Enjoy exploring a new area.

·
Registered
179 Posts
There is only 1 road that connects the valley to the top. This road makes a long loop starting at one end in Antimony and the other end is Cottonwood Springs in John’s Valley. Any other road from the valley only goes to the USFS line and is closed. There are a few roads on the top that goes a short distance. Most of them are old logging roads.
Will you be hunting deer, spike elk or big bulls on the LE tag? Archery or rifle?
I would say 90% of the hunters hunt north of Forest creek because the terrain is more mild and more accessible. South of Forest becomes considerably more steep with a lot less access.
North and South hunt creeks off of Tom Best Springs road gives good access that usually holds deer and plenty of elk and is lower in elevation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts