Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...now he has a tag and is buffalo hunting in the Henry's. He is with an avid hunter, but neither were able to scout before they left because my husband was given late notice. Anyone have any advice on where to go...the snow is really deep, so I hear. Anything I could do to help him, and me, since this hunt is costing a small fortune :) And yes, I'd like to score some wife points. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
I recognize your desperation if you are willing to be up at 3:00 am to post for some help.

I'm sure he is doing the right things but just not yet finding them. Pre scouting would not have helped a whole lot other than getting to know the area. The Buffalo have been hunted a bunch and this is the 4th hunt this year thus causing them to feel pressure and move. The best advice that I can give you right now would be to get on vantage points and glass, glass, glass. The other way to do it would be to use the snow in your favor by covering lots of miles on the roads. Keep on the look out for tracks in the snow crossing the road. If he finds tracks that he doesn't know to be fresh, then brush them out. Keep doing that until he finds new tracks and then follow them. That is a great way to do it and has worked well on some of my previous hunts down there. There is a big misconception that the Henry Mountain Buffalo hunt is easy. It is far from that. It is a huge mountain and they could be litteraly any where.

He will eventually find them and if you want wife points then the best thing that you can do is simply give encouragement and don't complain about the money spent nor the time that he is gone. This will be a trip of a lifetime for him and honestly the best thing that you can do is not add more stress from the things that he "should" be doing at home. Sounds like your trying your best to do that.

I could tell you where they hang out but that's with no pressure. There is about 50 near the horn. There are about 90 on the south side of Penell. There are always some on top of Ellen. McMullen springs and Airplain springs seem to always hold a few. Cave Flat is where I have always found them. But like said before, they are pressured and could be ANY where.

ps. He should have his skunk mounted as they have great fur this time of year. :)

·
Registered
610 Posts
elk22hunter said:
He will eventually find them and if you want wife points then the best thing that you can do is simply give encouragement and don't complain about the money spent nor the time that he is gone. This will be a trip of a lifetime for him and honestly the best thing that you can do is not add more stress from the things that he "should" be doing at home. Sounds like your trying your best to do that.
+ 1

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the support. I'm sure I sound naive bringing up cost on such a rare hunt. I really appreciate the advice.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
buffalowife said:
Thanks for the support. I'm sure I sound naive bringing up cost on such a rare hunt. I really appreciate the advice.
Good luck and make sure that he posts his photo's.

By the way, I love your user name.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
elk22hunter wrote:
By the way, I love your user name
Thanks, but I was just thinking today that TatonkaLady sounded a little more catchy. What do you think? Anyway, many of you have PM'd me and I am feeling the love and support from this forum. I have texted my husband with each piece of advice. I know he's having a great time, no matter the outcome. It's odd, I'm the furthest thing from an outdoorswo-man, but I'm kind of jealous, I want to be out there too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yesterday he tracked one for twelve miles. I don't know how close he was exactly, and don't know many details, but, he couldn't tell if it was male or female (he's on a cow hunt). I know he was disappointed in not being able to tell, so I didn't ask many questions. Today is his last day before he comes home. He ran into the head fish and game dude, and was told that there were several more tags issued this year than in years previous. So who knows? I'm definately glad he is getting the experience, and it's been great to learn how to be a supportive hunters wife.

I know he'll go out again before the month is over if he doesn't get one today. I think it would be so great to join him....

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Does he have a spotting scope? Optics would be key on this hunt. If there was only ONE animal that he was tracking, the chances are far greater that it was a bull. They get ornery and cantacerous (sp) and start hanging out on their own. They are much like humans when old men become grumpy. :) How many guys are helping him? That is pretty important also. The more the merrier. The key to this hunt at this stage especially with the pressure letting off and lots of guys going home, is to have lots of eyes going lots of different directions. Radios become handy and he'll be fine. It began on the 5th, right? How long does he have? After most of the pressure lets off, they will go back to their more "normal" patterns. They will become much more visable.

Thanx for the update and again, good luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts