Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So.... I have the early rifle tag this year.
Even after the big storm yesterday I thought I would head up and see how close to the cabin I could get.
There was 6 outfits going up the Green's Lake road before first light. I thought......Great going to be a Zoo. But I kept going.
When we got on top a couple of them headed towards Miner's Peak, and the other 3 headed towards Kannara mountain.
I decided that I didn't want to try to get to Miner's Peak after watching the jeep and SxS try to go that way. It always drifts there pretty bad. (Found out later I made a REALLY good choice, one guy had been stuck a little further on all night). I just went back to a couple of crossing points across the top we used to hunt back in the 80's before I had my place. The roads weren't bad there. Just started hanging out and wandering around.
The deer really started moving around when the sun came up. Nobody else was around at all. I was almost thinking I had the wrong day for the opener. I passed 3 smaller bucks up and then another came by. He was taller.....
But not real wide. Not really a shooter. Watched him for a bit, but he wasn't moving. Finally turned his head and I could see he had pretty forks......and right on the edge of his ears, and the wife told me she really wanted venison, so it doesn't have to be big.
I got thinking (that's dangerous for me). It's a good shot, pretty easy retrieval, and I'm by myself, and I'm old.......so I decided to take him.
It's amazing I actually ended up getting him.
I couldn't get out of my own way 馃ぃ
He dropped first shot. But that was the easy part. Not going to do the whole story, it was kind of a cluster.
Snow Hunting Deer hunting Sky Vertebrate

But I got him, cleaned him, and a couple of guys I know helped me load it when I got it back to the road. Got him back to town, hung up skinned, quartered, and In the cooler.
I'm not sure if I killed him or he killed me!!
It might be time for me to be done.

I am BEAT !!
But, got er done.

Administrator
Way2go!! That's a goodun!

Registered
Nice buck!
Don鈥檛 worry, in a couple days you will already be planning your next years draw strategy in your head.
I already have my UT and WY strategies typed out on an excel spreadsheet. I have draw odds, success rates, dates and some other important information listed

Registered
Congrats!! That鈥檚 awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Great buck and write up!!

I have been questioning my desire to keep hunting or give it up too. I'm not that old, but I aint a spring chicken anymore either. Just tired of low numbers of critters and more people afield now.

Registered
nice job.

thinking of heading to Kolob tomorrow to do some fishing. How's it going to be getting in and out of there? We'll probably come up from Virgin.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They actually had the grader up clearing the roads by mid morning. Went towards Kolob first, and Ben said they would do down to Miner's Peak in the afternoon. The roads will be cleared, but I'm sure it will be muddy. There is still quite a bit of livestock up there and several people stranded at their place, so they did the roads.

Premium Member
Nice buck, congratulations. It's great to see some snow up on that mountain.

Should have given me a call.

Registered
Nice looking buck 2 full! Congrats! All that hanging it up talk is just the tired, sore body talking. I look forward to hearing your hunting stories next year.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts