Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've sent the 2016 Utah Big Game Application Guidebook to the printer, and we should receive the proof in the next day or two. So, for now, we've posted the near-final draft on our website. If any of you are interested, feel free to take a look. If you happen to see anything that looks incorrect or amiss, please let me know. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Thanks Amy.

Love this years front cover photo!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Amy,
Why didn't the DWR allow any public input through the RAC's or Wildlife Board Meetings on whom to award the expo contract?
Thanks for the question, Igottabigone. The DWR is following the state's procurement laws, which do not allow for public comment on contract proposals. The proposals are reviewed by a diverse, unbiased committee, and those are the individuals who will make the final recommendation to the Wildlife Board. The public isn't privy to all of the details in the proposals, and therefore aren't permitted to comment. Per state law, the proposals may not be released until after a contract is signed.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Amy.

Love this years front cover photo!
Thanks, goofy - it's one of our favorite cover photos, too. We had a lot of great photo options submitted by DWR Facebook followers!

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
How was RMEF's made public then?
I don't know how it originally got out, but RMEF did release a news release giving the basic guidelines of their proposal.

The bottom line is, Friday we'll see how unbiased this process was and there are more than Utahns waiting to see if the fix is in and how deep private interests(cough SFW) run into our public wildlife.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Thanks for the question, Igottabigone. The DWR is following the state's procurement laws, which do not allow for public comment on contract proposals. The proposals are reviewed by a diverse, unbiased committee, and those are the individuals who will make the final recommendation to the Wildlife Board. The public isn't privy to all of the details in the proposals, and therefore aren't permitted to comment. Per state law, the proposals may not be released until after a contract is signed.
I may be wrong, so anyone can correct me here.

BUT RMEF submitted the plan that they had to the DWR and followed every rule that was written at the time. So they also let out publicly what they had submitted, knowing that there was NO RFP and the deadline had passed to submit new proposals. So RMEF was being transparent and letting everyone see what they had done. They made it public.

WELLLLL, to our surprise, the DWR had a few "oh crap" moments and SFW/MDF had a few "OH SHIZ" moments. The DWR con****ed a plan under the radar and by not following ANY RULES that had been mentioned before hand and came out with the RFP. Therefore, the DWR lawyer had to come out and explain what had to be done to cover their butts at the last WB meeting.

Kind of sad that not even all the WB members knew the "NEW RULES" of what was going on.

·
Registered
307 Posts
^^^^That is why there is no public input on this, its because the DWR cant handle any more under the table deals and get everyone of the WB on board and caught up on new changes with in the last 24 hours. It would be to hard!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Amy,
Thanks for the copy and paste from Marty. Did the original SFW/MDF proposal that started the expos and expo tags follow state procurement laws?

·
Registered
187 Posts
The proposals are reviewed by a diverse, unbiased committee, and those are the individuals who will make the final recommendation to the Wildlife Board.
Do you know who is not diverse and unbiased? The people who wrote the criteria the committee is required to score off of. They get to review the RMEF plan, have a full working knowledge of the SFW plan, and then write the rules after-the-fact.

I can guarantee the winner of any contest if I get to write the rules after the game has been played. To pretend there is no room for questionable conduct here is just not true. This has the potential to get really ugly, which DNR is well are of... hence their constant posturing since the initial proposal deadline and subsequent rule change.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Amy,
Thanks for the opportunity for a draft peek. I too love the cover! I have read through much of it and I don't see anything that wasn't clear to me.

It amazes me how a request to review a draft turns into DWR/SFW/MDF bashing. There are plenty of us that appreciate your hard work. You have a thankless job, but I for one appreciate all you do.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas:smile:

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Amy,
Thanks for the opportunity for a draft peek. I too love the cover! I have read through much of it and I don't see anything that wasn't clear to me.

It amazes me how a request to review a draft turns into DWR/SFW/MDF bashing. There are plenty of us that appreciate your hard work. You have a thankless job, but I for one appreciate all you do.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas:smile:
I agree with the sentiment here, and don't think it's Amy's responsibility to bear the brunt of our questioning regarding this issue.

However, the questioning is absolutely warranted given how things have unfolded since RMEF announced their bid submission and some of the details therein. Many of us appreciate the service that Amy and others provide as part of the DWR.

That should in no way dissuade us from questioning procedures and actions that are directly correlated to public wildlife.

So yes, thank you Amy for all you do. Thanks to all the many DWR employees who have nothing to do with the procedure for selecting the conservation org for the expo. As for "the rest".......I hope that this isn't another decision that upholds the status quo.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Amy, The cover photo is wonderful! Some questions about hunting dates:
The muzz season is Sept. 28 - Oct 6.
I see a LE Elk tag for EB3031 has a season of Sept 17 - Oct 7...I know it's an any weapon hunt, but that might be an error...perhaps it should end on Oct 6????
Also, Muzz LE Elk all start dates are Sept. 26 and end Oct. 7...perhaps those are errors as well.
Thanks for opportunity to play with this draft!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Amy, The cover photo is wonderful! Some questions about hunting dates:
The muzz season is Sept. 28 - Oct 6.
I see a LE Elk tag for EB3031 has a season of Sept 17 - Oct 7...I know it's an any weapon hunt, but that might be an error...perhaps it should end on Oct 6????
Also, Muzz LE Elk all start dates are Sept. 26 and end Oct. 7...perhaps those are errors as well.
Thanks for opportunity to play with this draft!
Thanks for taking a close look at the draft and checking on this, Wynn. I followed up with Justin Shannon, our big game coordinator, and he confirmed that the dates you asked about are correct.

Last year, we extended the muzzleloader season dates for LE elk to give those hunters a bit more time in the field.

On EB-3031, he noted that, "This hunt has unique season dates because there is not a spike hunt on that unit (per an agreement with Nevada), and we wanted to give LE hunters more time in the field."

I hope this has resolved your concerns. Thanks again to you and everyone else who took a look at the draft. The final draft should be online early next week, and the hard copies should be available in early to mid January.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Amy,

Under the General Reference map for the Deer (page 32). Unit 4/5/6 is listed (shown) as a Limited entry. Is this correct? Or is it just shown that way due to the LE muzzy hunt that now exists on that unit? Will that cause some confusion?

Thanks

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Under the General Reference map for the Deer (page 32). Unit 4/5/6 is listed (shown) as a Limited entry. Is this correct? Or is it just shown that way due to the LE muzzy hunt that now exists on that unit?
Your conclusion is correct, tallbuck. Any units that have the late-season LE muzzleloader hunts are highlighted on the limited-entry deer map on 32-33. Those 12 hunts are listed in the hunt tables on pages 44-45, with season dates of Nov. 2-Nov. 10. Hope this helps!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts