Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody seen them? Know where one might try to take some pictures, I've done alot of glassing and spent a bunch of time on the face looking for them and can't seem to find them. Thanks..

·
Registered
348 Posts
Nope- but I assume you know where to find those by Rock Canyon in Provo. If not - just go look, plenty of photo opps. Like going to the zoo.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Not sure where they are at now, but during the summer my brother and I snapped some photos of this one out feeding...so they are up there somewhere. Honestly, a big horn sheep was the last thing we were expecting to see on our scouting trip in the Nebo area. They are pretty sweet animals to view, especially up close, I think just being able to view the big horn sheep is satisfying to me...not being able to hunt them is NOT going to turn me bitter towards those who are trying to expand their range.
[attachment=0:v79nqzk4]Big Horn Sheep nebo copy.JPG[/attachment:v79nqzk4][attachment=1:v79nqzk4]Big Horn sheep nebo 2 copy.JPG[/attachment:v79nqzk4][attachment=2:v79nqzk4]Big Horn sheep nebo 1 copy.JPG[/attachment:v79nqzk4]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Success! Sort of... While looking for deer in Provo Canyon I spotted some and put a stalk on them, got alot closer to the ram then I was expecting!

Notice the collar on the Ewe on the right...

23 Yards in a stare down!

Total of 5 ewes and the one ram, awesome to see!

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
That looks like a 6-7 year old ram, great pictures. Then bighorns are cool to watch in the wilds the dwell in.

·
Registered
25 Posts
You should be able to see some right now just north of the mouth of Rock Canyon in Provo by the park - they could be in city limits there. I was there a few weeks ago and watched them for a while. Also in the future if you want to see a lot of sheep go to Green River in late Oct & Nov. Drive up the river from town to Nefertetti and you can see alot of sheep. During the rut they are right on the river.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Rock Canyon is just behind the Provo temple; drive E on the road just north of the temple.

Are there sheep viewable from the Cedar Hills area? I see elk regularly between Cabela's and Micron.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Head up to the east mountains of alpine just north of the mouth of AF canyon they are always there and they are always low. You should be able to get some good photos of them. Also if you drive on the road from AF canyon heading south you may be able to catch the sheep feeding on the golf course at the base of the mountain... I have seen them there a few times already this winter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well this time I found them for real! Got lucky one night this evening I guess...

16 All together, 4 with collars, 4 without ear tags, 1 yearling, 2 "Mature" rams, still pretty young but still dang good to see they are doing well...

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
The sad part of that photo is the one thing lacking.... lambs. The reproduction on most of the Wasatch herds is dismal and worrying. Why no lambs surviving? Wish the biologists knew.

Were those Nebo sheep?

·
Registered
289 Posts
dibb03 is right. I live in Cedar Hills. I see the sheep daily above the golf course. I've seen about 15 one being a nice 3/4 curled ram! Great place to take pictures!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, that second group of pictures were taken on the south end of Nebo. I agree with the wonder why the the lack of lambs, with this group their was one lamb but that was it. Spotted some above Springville monday night and it was about the same deal, 4 rams and no ewes or lambs...

The far left sheep is a lamb...

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I believe the lamb problem is associated with predators, namely Eagles and coyotes. The cougars around Alpine-Provo Canyon have been pounded by the DWR since the first transplant.

Good you found the sheep on the Nebo, thanks for posting photos.

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
The sheep herd on the Stansbury range has been very successful with lamb recruitment. The biologists I talked with when doing the transplant a few backs said it is over 50%. The lamb recruitment on the island is well above that. They also said the coyotes, and there are a pile of them on the island, have little/no impact on the sheep numbers out there. Nebo yotes might have a different preference on diet. They have a couple of BYU grad students analyzing yote scat, talk about a crappy job. :shock:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts