Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my father was fortunate this year and drew a non-resident Nebo archery elk permit! We're incredibly excited about this opportunity and hoping to finally get him an archery elk! Not looking for the biggest elk in the unit, just a nice mature bull. We would very much appreciate any information or input that anyone has to offer. Mostly looking to narrow down some areas to focus on, but all information is valuable! Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
195 Posts
If you have horses bring them. If not plan on hiking in some of the roughest country around. There are some great bulls on the unit but you will have to soft for it. Not a lot of wheeler trails so leave those at home.

·
Banned
55 Posts
Dirt bikes are another great option of you don't have horses. Like said before, leave the wheelers at home, you can take a truck anywhere you can take a wheeler.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
From about 1999 thru 2008 the Nebo was AWESOME elk hunting,
The archery hunt was much better then too....

Really fell off from 08 to 2012, Just too many permits...
After a 50% reduction in LE permits and the total removal of cow tags for a
few years, it is improving once again, BUT still tough, especialy archery!

A large majority of the elk population resides on private land ...

The elk herd on the north half around the Nebo loop road is nothing like it used to be.

Most of the forest service land is off limits to ATV's, BUT, there are places wheeler's
can be used that have good elk access.....;-)......

There's is no doubt , the best elk hunting on the Nebo unit right now is on private
land.......

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Nebo is actually (should be) 2 units, divided by highway 132 through Nephi canyon. North of Nephi canyon is horse country...no ATVs allowed for the most part, steep and deep and includes the Mt. Nebo wilderness. The northern end of the unit is always ridiculously crowded and it can be real hard to find a campsite.

If you don't have horses and want to hunt Mt. Nebo, look for access points from the valley and hunt up. You don't want to hunt from the Nebo Loop highway down because it'll take a dozen good men and a fat kid to pack an elk back up to the road.

South of Nephi canyon (Sanpitch mtns) is ATV friendly with lots more camping opportunities and fewer people, but the number of elk diminishes quickly as you head south. I wouldn't even bother hunting south of Chicken Creek.

Whatever you do, this unit isn't friendly to strangers. The more time you can spend with boots on the ground before the hunt, the better your hunt will be.

Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies so far! We do not own any ATV's or horses, so we will be going in on foot, though we're not afraid to get up early and get in away from the crowds. How does the terrain in the northern portion of the unit compare to the Uinta Canyon area of the South Slope unit?

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Both Mt Nebo and Loafer are on the Extreamly difficult foot access level....

I would agree with hunter chick on dirt bikes for the trails in the middle part.

Steep learning curve on this particular unit......
With this years archery dates, It will be one of the tuffest hunts in the state....
I've lived on the unit for over 35 year, killed my first archery elk on Loafer 30 years ago.
If I had that tag, I wouldnt waist one miniute on public ground.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Goofy, are there many opportunities for a person to be able to get permission to hunt on private land within the unit? We are definitely not opposed to asking or calling around to try and get permission to hunt private land, I'm just not sure what the best resource for getting landowner information in the area would be.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
NOT easy getting onto private ....

There are places on public you might do ok ...

Just a tough unit guys dont like to give spots out on.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I agree with Finnegan, I have never even seen an elk in the Chicken Creek area. I'm not sure why the DWR even includes the San Pitch Mountains in this unit. Probably should be divided at Nephi Canyon and made a separate unit south with fewer permits.

·
Super Moderator
9,463 Posts
Chicken Creek used to have a lot of elk in the top of it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I certainly don't frequent Chicken Creek as much as I do other areas but I have never seen elk there. I'm not saying they are not there. It's unfortunate that the elk herd there was once very healthy and now it's sparse. This is a great tag to draw but I would certainly concentrate my efforts north of the highway rather than south. Steep rugged terrain and less roads often equates to huge success.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone for the great information so far, it has given me a lot to digest! I do have a couple more questions that I'm hoping someone can answer for me:

1: What is the weather typically like during the latter half of the archery season? We hunted the south slope of the Uinta's a couple of years ago, and were really surprised by how rainy it was.

2: Are there any people in the area that offer pack out services? Depending on where we hunt, or end up taking an elk (if we're lucky enough) it seems like it might be a good idea to know of someone who could assist in packing an elk out with horses.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I too am an out of stater, I drew a rifle tag. I booked with a guide but I have never elk hunted in Utah or during the rut for that matter.
Considering I'm going guided, what can I hope for experience wise? Sightings, numbers of animals and will I really see screaming elk that we call in?
I will be really excited if that actually happens, it sounds too good to be true!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I spent the last 6 years on Nebo with consecutive DH tags for deer. I'll echo whats been said by others, it's not an easy unit to hunt, but you can still find a few nice bulls if your willing to work for them. I hunt with horses so that made it easier for me to cover ground and get to places where a lot of people don't venture. There are only a few area's that I have consistently found elk each year, i'll send you a pm on those spots. I can't speak of what the herd was like before I started hunting Nebo but the last few years I've been scouting and hunting deer, elk have been sparse on the public land compared to other units I have hunted. Definitely got your work cut out for you but you can do it. Glad to help out with any info that I can offer. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts