Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Thanks to someone I am comming to trust and respect I have decided to take the leap into archery hunting. <<--O/ I am quite excited for this new adventure *OOO* . Like many here I find myself to be quite finacially challenged. For this purpose I come seeking guidance. I plan to go after a Spike or a Cow Elk next season. I should be able to get enough practice in to make a decent shot in that time. I am simply looking for advice on anything and everything those with experience might be able to share with me about a decent starter bow, arrow selection, other equipment I will need, and places where these things may be found at a decent price. Any other information that people would be willing to share about starting this sport along with where some places in northern utah are where one could safely and legally practice would be helpful. Glad to be joining with a new elite group of hunters and look forward to the challenges ahead :D

--------4x4 Bronco

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
I highly recommend a trip to Utah Archery Center.

Good luck on your new adventure as an archer. Good luck and enjoy!

Whom ever has helped direct you to become an archer should be commended and rewarded.

PRO

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Well, if you want to enjoy shooting a bow go with a recure or longbow. :D

Simple, beautifull, light in the hand, easy to shoot, quiet, less expensive, deadly, and the hunting weapon.

If you want to rely on gadgetry and the never ending cesspool of technological garbage that is modern archery, go with a compound. :x

Cheers,

Tex

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
Now Tex, a little harsh I think. Good to see you made back to Utah okay.

Bronco, try several bows and see what 'feels' right in your hand. If you are up north, get a hold of Tex, even though he is a 'traditionlist', he will help get you going.

PRO

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TEX-O-BOB said:
Well, if you want to enjoy shooting a bow go with a recure or longbow. :D

Simple, beautifull, light in the hand, easy to shoot, quiet, less expensive, deadly, and the hunting weapon.

If you want to rely on gadgetry and the never ending cesspool of technological garbage that is modern archery, go with a compound. :x

Cheers,

Tex
:lol: I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I'm really starting to like Tex here -/O\-

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
Give it time Bronco, his 'cuteness' will wear off. :eek:

PRO

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
I'm warnin ya, don't get to close to me or I'll pollute your mind! 8) :twisted:

Ask bwhntr, Zim, Pro, northslope, I've infected them all. heheheheh!

Mmmwwwhhaahaahaa!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TEX-O-BOB said:
I'm warnin ya, don't get to close to me or I'll pollute your mind! 8) :twisted:

Ask bwhntr, Zim, Pro, northslope, I've infected them all. heheheheh!

Mmmwwwhhaahaahaa!
I guess it depends on what I'm being polluted with :wink: , but if it is the "wealth of knowledge" about archery that Fish referred to I don't mind taking my chances. :)

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Money is a concern here, yes? UAC is a great shop, but hardly the place to buy an inexpensive bow. They pride themselves on carrying only top of the line stuff.

First - study up. There's tons of info on the Internet and it's all easy to find.

Then go everywhere and shoot every bow you can get your hands on.

Once you've decided on the bow(s) that fit you, go check out the pawn shops. There's plenty of folks out there who drop a grand on a status bow only to later find out that it isn't a good fit for them or that bowhunting isn't their cup of tea. A lot of those barely used bows end up in the pawn shops. Even better if you can get somebody with experience to go with you, (which shouldn't be hard).

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When you guys talk about shooting as many bows as I can to get a feel for what I like are you talking about places where they let you test out bows before you buy them or using bows of hunters I know or both? If there are places to try out bows before purchasing that would be some very useful information. Again I appologize for my ignorance in this subject and appreciate all the help :) .

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
http://www.ksl.com is great for a used bow. If you want something new Go see Gerald a UAC 801-263-7880, he is one of the best bow techs around. Tex is whacked, he hit his head on a rock when he was young (which was a very long time ago) Zim is well.... Zim. Pro is like a wild bulldog and never misses a beat. Epek is the biggest deer slayer, warrior I know. And Fishglyph will talk your ear off if you go shooting with her. Welcome aboard, we are all a bunch of nut jobs, and you are going to fall into the biggest addictions of your life, a thing called bowhunting!

·
Premium Member
8,234 Posts
North Slope must be happy it's friday...I've never heard him talk so much !!!! :wink:

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
.45 said:
North Slope must be happy it's friday...I've never heard him talk so much !!!! :wink:
It is because I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. 10 days til I start launching arrows at a bull moose. :D :D :D :D :D *OOO* *OOO* *OOO* *OOO* *(())* *(())* *(())* :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: *()* *()* *()* *()* *()* <<--O/ <<--O/ <<--O/ <<--O/ <<--O/ :shock: *OOO* *OOO* *(())* *(())* *(())* :wink: :mrgreen: :| *-band-* --\O :rotfl: o-|| *\-\* :? :eek: :) :) <<--O/ <<--O/ <<--O/ <<--O/ <<--O/ <<--O/ <<--O/

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Tex is whacked, he hit his head on a rock when he was young (which was a very long time ago)
Whacked, whacker, whacky, whackmaster, whack-a-mole, tallywhacker, whack-happy, nic-nac-paddy-whack, whack-attack, out-of-whack, in-whack, whack-out, whack-up, whack-down, whack-yer-pee pee, yes, I'm all of these things. 8)

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
TEX-O-BOB said:
Tex is whacked, he hit his head on a rock when he was young (which was a very long time ago)
Whacked, whacker, whacky, whackmaster, whack-a-mole, whack-happy, nic-nac-paddy-whack, whack-attack, out-of-whack, in-whack, whack-out, whack-up, whack-down, whack-yer-pee pee, yes, I'm all of these things. 8)
Whack-yer-pee pee?? You really have lost it! :roll:

·
Premium Member
8,234 Posts
Maybe you ought to stay away from Archery... Bronco !!!!!

These people are SICK SICK SICK !!!!!!!!

All of them.!!!....Fish..you should be ashamed of yourself !!! :roll: _(O)_ -)O(- :evil: :evil:

·
Registered
623 Posts
It doesn't matter what you get, it will only be the first of many. If I were you I would get one with tons of stuff on it cause if you shoot a recurve as good as I do, you need a bit more of a challenge. And just for the record, notice I am not on Tex's list of people he has infected, and I believe I am the only one out of that group that has seen him necked.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
EPEK said:
It doesn't matter what you get, it will only be the first of many. If I were you I would get one with tons of stuff on it cause if you shoot a recurve as good as I do, you need a bit more of a challenge. And just for the record, notice I am not on Tex's list of people he has infected, and I believe I am the only one out of that group that has seen him necked.
Let hope you are the only one who has had the awful experience! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: -)O(- -)O(- -)O(- -)O(- -)O(- -)O(- -)O(- -)O(- -)O(- -)O(- -)O(- -)O(- -)O(- -)O(- -)O(- -)O(- -)O(- -)O(- -)O(- -)O(- -)O(- -)O(- -)O(- _/O _/O _/O _/O _/O _/O _/O _/O _/O _/O _/O _/O _/O _/O _/O _/O _/O _/O _/O _/O _/O _/O _/O _/O _/O _/O _/O _/O _/O _/O _/O _/O _/O _/O _/O _/O _/O _/O _/O _/O _/O

·
Premium Member
8,234 Posts
North slope don't got no avatar either....maybe one with Tex in the shower would be nice !!!!!.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts