Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to admit sadly that I didn't get anytime to go out and get an elk for the archery. I know there is the extended and I will continue to try and get one. I am new to this forum and hate that my first post is asking for help. But I am wondering if anybody has any elk or deer that they would be willing to spare it would be greatly appreciated. I am not even looking for it to be cut and wrapped. If you have a quarter that you would be willing to spare it would be happy to take care if everything from there. Thanks again and if this is inappropriate somebody just say and I'll drop it. Thanks

·
Registered
110 Posts
If the stars align I'll help you out. Last year Alpinebowman sent meat my way and it's the least I could do for someone in need. Thanks again Alpinebowmans buddy! She was delicious!

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
Check back with me in mid October. I just got a cow elk and 2 doe antelope last week, and I still have another elk tag and 2 deer tags. I also have a Deseret doe antelope tag but it isn't looking like I'll get a chance this weekend to go fill it. If my season keeps going well I should have lots of meat to help people with

·
Registered
282 Posts
Where are you located? Come the end of November I may have some meat if your willing to help carry one out. We still have four elk tags to fill this year and some deer. Check with me around thanksgiving.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You guys are so awesome! I am in American fork. I am very willing to come and help pack out. I will take anything that anybody is willing to donate. Anybody can send me a pm with information on when and where and I'll help as much as possible. Again thanks so much!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have 2 elk tags and a deer. If I fill one of my elk you can have my whole deer. I'm hunting Wasatch west at the end of October and can drop it at your door on the way home.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Wow, meateater looks to be getting some great deals on meat this year!

My son and I are also hunting the Wasatch West, we have two deer tags and are thinking on the additional four antlerless tags we can still get. Trouble is I don't want to haul six animals out on foot myself. I've got a couple guys and my brother and brother-in-law who may assist with our hunt so we look to be getting at least one or two of the four elk tags, the more help I can muster with a phone call from camp, the more tags I may pickup. PM me if interested can can help pack out.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm in a similar situation as meateater1 but I wasn't able to get out this year because I had a 3rd shoulder surgery. So if anyone has the desire and has too much meat I would gladly take some for my family.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
This is an interesting posting. I wonder, in fact I am pretty sure that every year lots of meat is thrown out due to way over harvesting by some hunters.
I'd first suggest that any responsible hunter would never apply for licenses that if successful would leave a hunter with way more meat than his family can/will eat. Of course I'm dreaming if I think over harvesting by some hunters will stop...so, perhaps a section could be added to this and other forums where people could hook up and disperse/receive the excess meat. Maybe we could call it " have meat/want meat" of something like that. Kind of like the job listings in the trading post forum.

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
This is an interesting posting. I wonder, in fact I am pretty sure that every year lots of meat is thrown out due to way over harvesting by some hunters.
I'd first suggest that any responsible hunter would never apply for licenses that if successful would leave a hunter with way more meat than his family can/will eat. Of course I'm dreaming if I think over harvesting by some hunters will stop...so, perhaps a section could be added to this and other forums where people could hook up and disperse/receive the excess meat. Maybe we could call it " have meat/want meat" of something like that. Kind of like the job listings in the trading post forum.
There are legal issues on giving/receiving wild game that I think would prohibit us from doing that.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think this is a great way to help a brother out and avoid wasting an animal, I raised my family on wild game I was able to harvest,(even thought I am from S. CA!!) I prefer never to buy meat, but twice in the past 27 years my garage freezer went out, and it made me sick to find that I had a freezer full of spoiled meat. Some years I have had too much when one year ends and another hunt season is about to start, I have a few friends with large families that like wild game and the free meat, so I always try and share as much as I can. good job to those who can share and are willing to.

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
I use to not try to get more tags than I needed meat, but have in the past few years realized i can always find people in need of meat. So it's a win win in my book, I get to hunt more and eat all the meat I need, plus I'm able to help several people in need each year. Anybody in need should check back in with me in a month, and I'm sure to have plenty. I just gave 1/4 of an elk and a whole antelope to my sisters, so from here on out I can help non family

1 - 20 of 23 Posts