Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi If anyone would give me some info on where to go archery Elk hunting in Utah. It would appreciated. I am from Louisiana and have never been to Utah. I will be bring horses. so I can get off the beaten path. I have hunted in Colo. for several years. But this year I want to try somewhere different. Thank You for any help!!!!

·
Registered
538 Posts
In the woods
Nothing like helping a fellow hunter out.

Agreed southslope of Uintas best OTC unit and horses are awesome. Personally I would suggest you consider one of the spike units and Manti would be at top of that list.

Thanks for planning Utah this year and PM if you need anything else.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Honestly you would probably have a better general hunt going back to CO, many more elk. If your dead set on hunting in UT, like everyone else said, the south slope of the Uintas is as good a place to start as any. Tough hunt and plenty of competition.

Where were you hunting in CO?

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Honestly you would probably have a better general hunt going back to CO, many more elk. If your dead set on hunting in UT, like everyone else said, the south slope of the Uintas is as good a place to start as any. Tough hunt and plenty of competition.

Where were you hunting in CO?
Ditto, if I were paying for an out of state tag it would definitely be Colorado, bigger bulls and more of them.

·
Super Moderator
9,421 Posts
Ditto, if I were paying for an out of state tag it would definitely be Colorado, bigger bulls and more of them.
The units in Colorado that you get the bigger bulls are the units that it takes 15-20 years to draw, you can't even hunt spikes in them.
The majority of Colorado with a OTC tag you are going to be finding the 300pt bulls just like Utah, but perhaps more of them. Or you are going to be dealing with a lot of private property and access problems.

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
Personally, I like seeing lots of elk and even big bulls despite not being able to shoot one. That would be why I would recommend a spike tag and then either target the Manti, La Sals, or dare I say, Monroe:shock:

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Since it is an archery tag you can hunt spike or anybull units. Go hunt a spike only unit if you are happy to shoot a cow. If you are set on shooting a bull then the Uintas is the place to go. With horses, the North Slope is a good choice. South Slope is good too. Get a good map and look for places you can ride an hour from roads and you will have a chance. Be aware that many of the spike only units have more deer hunter pressure. If you get back in far enough on the anybull units I feel you can have a good hunt.

I have had some great hunts on Anybull units. Come on out, bring a fishing pole and enjoy the vacation. You'll see new country and have the chance to kill an elk. What more can a guy ask for? Good luck.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
What more can a guy ask for?
Better season dates would be one

There are better states for an OTC elk hunt as a non resident. Limited Entry hunts in Utah are amazing but I would not travel here for OTC elk. The only reason to hunt Utah OTC as a non resident would be:

You are going to draw an LE tag in the near future and want to learn a unit, hunt spike and cows in that unit while learning it

You really want to hunt spikes and cows while seeing big bulls that you cannot hunt--maybe you like to take pics?

You have access to good private property on an OTC big bull unit

You have some secret knowledge or honey hole on an OTC big bull unit--no one in their right mind will give you this online or in person.

These are the only logical reasons I can think of to come OTC to Utah unless it's more of a camping/family trip while carrying a weapon. I say this and I hunt the Uintas every year and have had success. It took years to learn it, lots of miles and I won't tell anyone where I go.

Keep in mind the Uintas are rocky rocky rocky and a flat land horse may have trouble navigating steep trails or rocky areas--I speak from experience, had a horse get stone bruised on me last year and it cost me two days of hunting.

I have hunted Colorado OTC and it's better, I have hunted Wyoming general tag (1 pt to draw) and it's MUCH better. I hunt here because I live here, its cheaper and I know the area. Sorry to be a downer==I would appreciate some honesty if I were planning a hunt and I am giving you some honesty. But who knows--maybe you will kill a 350" bull off a main road on the north slope--crazy stuff happens.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I/we have hunted Colorado for the past 20 years. We hunted from the top to the bottom. killed lots of elk some nice and have had to take a few cows along the way. Yes it is good hunting there for OVC and a few draw units through the year. We almost tag out every year there. Just wanted to try some place new. Just a starting point helps lots when you have never been in the state before. Maybe get lucky and see one of those 350 bulls. So Thank You All For Any and All The Help!!!!!!!!

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
I/we have hunted Colorado for the past 20 years. We hunted from the top to the bottom. killed lots of elk some nice and have had to take a few cows along the way. Yes it is good hunting there for OVC and a few draw units through the year. We almost tag out every year there. Just wanted to try some place new. Just a starting point helps lots when you have never been in the state before. Maybe get lucky and see one of those 350 bulls. So Thank You All For Any and All The Help!!!!!!!!
Something smells funny here...ok bubba what part of Looziana is you from?

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
Why does it sound fishy? Because he can spell or seems educated? Or maybe you can tell by his responses if he's married to his sister?
I'm thunkin it's the last comment of yours that's most likely correct. :grin:

Reactions: martymcfly73

·
Registered
275 Posts
There are plenty of big bulls in utah on OTC units the problem is there are very few people willing to work for it. I have spent the last 6 weekends looking for elk and have located 7 bulls that I would consider shootable and a few spike here and there. The biggest being in the 330-340 range you can kill a decent elk every year pon OTC tags if your willing to go out and look.

·
Premium Member
2,741 Posts
I have hunted Utah, Idaho, Wyoming and Colorado. Have hunted all but Idaho as a resident and non-resident. The size of bulls IMO for OTC units are best in Wyoming, then Utah, then Idaho, then Colorado. Pretty much a generalization but I think it is pretty close.

I agree with Packout on the Uintas depending which drainage you are hitting. The Uintas are a special place. Critter is spot with OTC elk hunts in Colorado.

There ARE big elk on OTC units in Utah and they are up in the Uintas. Tough hunt? Yep. Have to go deep? Yep, but they are there and like Packout said there is some great fishing up there.

In any state OTC tags are what they are. Tough hunts for big elk. My first choice would be Wyoming strictly due to the amount of time a person can hunt but most people can't take off and hunt every season either.

If you have not hunted the Uintas, you need to once in your life. With the weather the Uintas has had there will be some gooduns up there this year. More so than most years.

Reactions: blackdeath
1 - 20 of 54 Posts