Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know how to tie fly's. I was wondering if any good fly tiers out there could sell me some custom fly's that I want made (stores don't have what I want). Let me know if interested or if you have any good fly websites.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
What do you feel is a good price for custom tied flies?

Most people wont pay more than .89 cents for flies, but if you really are willing to pay for quality, custom flies, there are some good tyers out there.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know? I would say $1.50 would mean a really nice fly?? Maybe $2 if it was extraordinary. With Ice fishing season coming up I think I may wait a while on the flies but Im definitely interested and will post this same type of post right before ice off. Thanks

·
Registered
629 Posts
Jeremy, do you plan on learning to tie? If the shops don't satisfy you you should really consider it. You fish alot of stillwater and that is the easiest kind of tying to get into IMHO.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
some day ill learn but I have school right now and don't really have the time (or the $ to get started).

·
Registered
615 Posts
Another way is to check out sites for fly swaps. Even if you don't tie, go buy your share. They are great cause you get a real good selection and if one really works great, I bet the tier would be happy to tie you more.
These fly swaps usually have a theme like Nymphs, Dries, etc. I see swaps for stillwaters all the time.
I fish mostly stillwaters also, heck I would send you some that work great for me.
Like you said we got to get past this hard water stage, so most tiers are doing just that right now.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Jeremy28 said:
some day ill learn but I have school right now and don't really have the time (or the $ to get started).
I know how you feel there. I didn't start tying much until after I got out of school myself. I haven't looked back since though. It really isn't that hard, you just need the time to do it. Having a bit of patience helps too :wink: Good luck with your schooling.

·
Registered
629 Posts
madonafly said:
Another way is to check out sites for fly swaps. Even if you don't tie, go buy your share. They are great cause you get a real good selection and if one really works great, I bet the tier would be happy to tie you more.
These fly swaps usually have a theme like Nymphs, Dries, etc. I see swaps for stillwaters all the time.
I fish mostly stillwaters also, heck I would send you some that work great for me.
Like you said we got to get past this hard water stage, so most tiers are doing just that right now.
I wouldn't recommend entering a swap and sending out store flies. That is not really the point.

·
Registered
980 Posts
ScottyP said:
madonafly said:
I wouldn't recommend entering a swap and sending out store flies. That is not really the point.
Not to mention it isn't very fair to the other tiers who have to put the time in making the flies. Swaps are really for sharing patterns and techniques to learn more about fly tying, not to just get custom flies you can't buy in a store.

But if you are just learning to tie flies, then joining a swap can be very useful and informative. You certainly don't have to be an expert on tying flies to enter them.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Just a suggestion GUYS. I have entered my share of SWAPS and I agree it is about sharing flies that work for you in that theme. But how many streamer swaps have you been in that you get a RUN OF THE MILL Woolly bugger.
The swaps I have been in have been "WHAT FLY WORKS FOR YOU" in a particular species like Dry, Nymph, Terrestrial, ETC. So, if say an ANT works for me and it happens to be the same one SW sales, whats the big deal. It's what works!
I tie, as I know many of you do and you KNOW it is expensive to get started. Personally I bit the bullet several years ago and just keep adding new stuff, but I don't think it is to save money to tie my own... that just isn't true. I tie to relax, but it sounds like this gentleman doesn't have the time or the extra cash.
But I am also one that sticks with the basic patterns and they have never let me down like Prince Nymph, Haresears, PT, Copperjohns, softhackles, Adams, Mosquitos and don't forget ROYAL WULFFS.
There are the PUPAS also and scuds, but I have found it is the size that matters in most cases and those BASIC flies are fantastic. There are so many new improved flies out there it just gets to crazy.

One other thing, I was in a swap where one of the fies was a San Juan Worm...but, that is what worked for this particular tier. I didn't need any instructions on how that was made if you know what I mean :D :D :D
Like a said, just a suggestion.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I wasn't attacking you in any shape or form, I appologize if I came across that way, or if you felt that way. I was just stating that most fly swaps generally don't approve someone buying their flies to be part of it. I could careless if someone ties a san juan worm or what ever, as long as they are the ones who tied it. :p

·
Registered
615 Posts
RnF said:
I wasn't attacking you in any shape or form, I appologize if I came across that way, or if you felt that way. I was just stating that most fly swaps generally don't approve someone buying their flies to be part of it. I could careless if someone ties a san juan worm or what ever, as long as they are the ones who tied it. :p
Thanks, no problem. However, I personally do care who ties my SAN JUAN WORM. Mine must be LEAD FREE he, he, he, he. :lol:
Although new to this forum, I have done this before also and it was fun. Why doesn't Jeremy28 tell us what he is looking for and we try tying them for him. Think of it as furthering his education :wink:

As far as this CHEECH dude goes....well all I got to say about him is..."GET A HAIR CUT" :lol:

·
Registered
348 Posts
madonafly said:
RnF said:
Thanks, no problem. However, I personally do care who ties my SAN JUAN WORM. Mine must be LEAD FREE he, he, he, he. :lol:
Although new to this forum, I have done this before also and it was fun. Why doesn't Jeremy28 tell us what he is looking for and we try tying them for him. Think of it as furthering his education :wink:

As far as this CHEECH dude goes....well all I got to say about him is..."GET A HAIR CUT" :lol:
every 6 months....

·
Registered
980 Posts
madonafly said:
RnF said:

Not a bad idea. Jeremy28, what fly patterns are you looking for?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
still water patterns: perch/bluegill streamers , snazzy wooly/seal buggers, crawdads, and maybe some nymphs. Most of them weighted some lightly weighted and some not weighted. I was just looking for something a little different and better than the average patterns at fishing stores. I have an idea that will satisfy everyones curiosity....how about we have a contest in which I am the judge....everyone send me patterns and I will test them out (when ice melts) and then pick the best to worst patterns sent to me. I will take pics of every pattern and rank it according to most fish caught, biggest caught, and best detail. Of course Im joking but I would......

·
Registered
615 Posts
Jeremy28 said:
still water patterns: perch/bluegill streamers , snazzy wooly/seal buggers, crawdads, and maybe some nymphs. Most of them weighted some lightly weighted and some not weighted. I was just looking for something a little different and better than the average patterns at fishing stores. I have an idea that will satisfy everyones curiosity....how about we have a contest in which I am the judge....everyone send me patterns and I will test them out (when ice melts) and then pick the best to worst patterns sent to me. I will take pics of every pattern and rank it according to most fish caught, biggest caught, and best detail. Of course Im joking but I would......
Heck, I'm game. I don't fish much for those species, but I have had them hit my flies. I have a way cool pattern for nymphs (well, not mine, I got it from a magazine, but I tweeked it to suit my needs and it is a great idea that works). I would love some feed back.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I would be game on this as well. Not too hard to tie up a few flies. Only question I have is what would the reward be for winning?? :mrgreen: Make it worth while and I bet you could get a lot of participation.

Either way, I could tie you up a few patterns for you to try out. It would be a good opportunity for me to tie some bigger bugs.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Gosh I don't know what to say...I don't want to be a freeloader and I need to buy some anyways but if you really wanted to then everyone would have to say whos interested and then I could set up a detailed/organized contest (in this post after everyone interested says so. Then at ice off and after a couple months I would try all the flies and note the lake, depth, and time of day and results and maybe retreive style as well. I would take pics of the flies and list the maker, and results for each fly (take pics of note worthy fish and with what fly as well). Then I would rank them according to biggest fish, most fish etc. As far as the winners go......well, if I get a ton of flies then $100 or $50 if not so many flies (50 total flies minimum). I would use them on Kolob, Minersville, and Baker (maybe new castle and enterprise too). I would list the amount of time spent with each fly as well. I have no problem taking the time in doing all this because it would be somewhat fun and interesting so just let me know if you want to.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts