Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,056 Posts
Now if they'd just pass a bill allowing you to keep the animal instead of letting it rot on the side of the road...
The problem is the people that would abuse it. I lived back east for a few years... in an area where whitetails were like rabbits. Knew a family there where the wife drove the schoolbus in rural areas... she would hit every dang deer she could and radio her husband to come get'em. It was legal to keep roadkill there, and it pretty much supported their family the entire year. No-one really cared as the state had too many deer anyway.

We dont allow people to keep "dead heads" they find without signoff from a DWR officer. This is because there were people who would shoot a buck, leave it, come back in the spring and claim "oh look what I found".

Sadly if we have learned anything from our DWR, its how to find and exploit loopholes. I AM for this "put a animal out of its misery" bill, as I've been in that situation once. I do think however, you still need to get signoff from a LEO before you can take a dead animal home (maybe we expand this a little to let local LEO's sign off on roadkill vs getting a DWR officer involved).

-DallanC

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I kinda get the School bus driver not caring about damage to the vehicle, but I doubt there are a whole lot of people willing to do that to their own car/truck for a deer and especially something bigger, let alone multiple times. Here in Alabama you don't have to do anything but load it up and go, and I still don't know of too many people intentionally hitting deer. Though I do admit to not knowing a whole lot of ********. In Florida where I grew up I knew a few people who had pipe bumpers on their trucks that would have no qualms hitting a deer, but in all honesty there were not that many people doing that either.

I do agree that if they did allow you to take it, you should have to get sign off/report it to some authority. Seems like within 24 hours would be reasonable.

To the actual bill coming to the floor, just seems like a long overdue allowance. Why make an animal suffer.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I believe in Vermont and Montana and probably other states, you could sign up on a list to be notified if there was a roadkill in your area. Like a text notification process. I haven't understood why Utah doesn't have something similar. I'm fine if a LEO or DWR individual had to sign off on it, but to me it is better than having it rot and then having a DWR employee have to drive a truck and trailer to load them all up and haul them off.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I believe if you contact your sheriffs office and tell them you'd be interested in taking any road kill that wasn't badly beat up in the collision they would contact you when the opportunity arose. I did last year and was given the opportunity to take a young buck that had been hit in the front end breaking his neck. Very little damage was done to the meat and it was nice to have fresh venison in February. I did have to return what little antler he had (spike, about 3 inches long) to a dwr officer, and was only allowed to take one but it felt good to be using it rather that watching it rot on the side of the road!
Also, I agree with the bill to put an animal out of its misery. Two years ago as I was turning off a main highway onto a side road I spotted a fawn in the bushes going through a slow and painful death from a collision with a car. It was apparent he wasn't going to make it from the injuries. I'm fortunate to know a couple of the police officers in our area so I contacted one. He made the necessary call to the dwr and they allowed me to dispatch of the poor critter. I felt it ended what could possibly have been hours of suffering.

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
One time many many years ago, I was behind a lady that hit 3 deer with her jeep. All 3 took the bumper square, so no damage to even her grill. Anyway, I stopped and she was just in tears. 1 was killed on impact so I dragged it off the road. Two others were still alive, but in a GREAT deal of suffering. I can just say that a tire wrench isn't a bad tool for dispatching a wounded deer. Poor lady. I really felt for her. She was a total nature lover and chose where she lived because she LOVED the deer in her yard. The whole group just jumped out and there was nothing she could do.

When I lived in Nebraska, the rule there was you could keep any animal you hit, as long as you notified the game warden within 24 hours. If you hit it, you could clean it on the spot, take it home, and then call the game warden. Or even take it to where you could meet them and they'd issue the salvage permit. It didn't seem to be abused there as far as I could tell.

Poachers are poachers though. And Utahans seem to be well head of people in the other states I've lived, to work around whatever rule is in place to justify poor behavior. So it goes.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Many moons ago I dispatched a big whitetail doe with a four-way tire iron. That is an unwieldy weapon. Splattered blood all over my nylons. When I got to work my supervisor saw the blood and asked what happened. I nonchalantly said "I had to bludgeon a deer to death on the way here". She paled a bit, nodded and walked off a bit confused. She also never hassled me when I didn't want to come in on weekends after that. :D

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Now if they'd just pass a bill allowing you to keep the animal instead of letting it rot on the side of the road...
We already have this and I've taken advantage of it. A guy just in front of me hit a nice buck. It grew around a corn farm for years, so it was nice and fat. The DWR has someone on call 24/7. A DWR officer was traveling the freeway when I got a hold of her, told me to bring her the deer after the police helped me load it up, and she met me at a gas station. She cut off the antlers, gave me a tag to have it processed, and we were on our way. The police dispatch said they had never heard of it before. But the DWR lady was happy for me to call her up.

But I think it's mostly big game they do it with. My brother has a sandhill crane hit his car and it died. I called the DWR to see if I could get a tag for it, but they said they have to pick those up themselves. :sad:

·
Administrator
21,400 Posts
I think the idea is OK as long as they be required to call a DWR or an LEO.

Reactions: gdog

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
I think it depends on the CO you get a hold of. I know I've tried with a small buck that had its back broken in PG. I even offered to the CO to punch my archery tag on it, but they were very firm that it would just be disposed of. Needless to say i was pretty dismayed, but what can you do?

·
760 Posts
Heck no , people will try to hit them during hunting seasons esp. with deer killer bumpers. We have too many Road hunters already .:bump2:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts