Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at getting a new pair of bino's. What recommendations do ya'll have. Is there anything that is close to the swarovski that might be priced better ? looking to spend 500.00 any advice is appreciated.
thanks
GSLHonker

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Look at doctor optics. made by ziess and they are very comparable to the high end stuff. you should be able to find a pair for just under $500 and you will think you spent $2000

You can also look at the nikon monarch's they are great for around $300 bucks.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I have the Alaskan guide 10x42’s and love them but if I upgrade them I will go with Euros’, they are really nice and the price is right. And Cabelas’ warranty is top notch, I traded my pine ridges back for the AG after they fogged inside, no questions asked after 3 ½ years.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
alpinebowman said:
Look at doctor optics. made by ziess and they are very comparable to the high end stuff. you should be able to find a pair for just under $500 and you will think you spent $2000
+1

I have a pair of these and they are every bit as nice and clear as the Swarovskis for 1/4 the price. In fact, I compared them side by side and could not tell the difference. I love em!

Here's the link. http://www.cdnninvestments.com/dobi.html

·
Registered
23 Posts
Go down to Cabelas and check out the new "Outfitter Series" binos in 10x42. They are basically Steiner optics with Cabelas name on them. They are German engineered, backed by Cabelas warranty, and lightweight for such good optics. They will run you $600 but I think you'd be happy still after spending an extra $100. Pentax and Vortex also make very good optics in the $500 price range.

·
Registered
184 Posts
You have a few more months before you need them, work hard and save a few more $$$$ and go with the Cabelas Euro's you will not be disappointed! In fact you will probably send me a PM and say thanks!

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
GSPS ROCK said:
You have a few more months before you need them, work hard and save a few more $$$$ and go with the Cabelas Euro's you will not be disappointed! In fact you will probably send me a PM and say thanks!
:lol: .... I'm in this situation too, except I've decided to get glass with my refund (a new gun isn't as high on the totem pole, I guess) and save up for a few months for the new pistol and then hit some of the outdoor store sales later in the spring for a tent and sleeping bag. I've been looking at Alpen, Nikon and some of the Leupold glass to get me started.... Its amazing the discounts you can find if you look hard enough on the internet. 8) I've heard you can't beat good high dollar glass but I've found you can certainly find places with a couple hundred, if not more, dollars knocked off the MSRP. Could be that they're last years models... but do we really care?? :D

·
Registered
250 Posts
GSL Honker.

For $500 you can get in some really decent binoculars. Namely, Vortex Vipers (Awesome glass for the money), Minox BD BR series, Pentax WP series or the Cabelas which I haven't personally used, but seem like a nice option.

Honestly, the Vortex Vipers are really nice and many say they compare favorably to the Swarovski SLC series in performance and design. I own the Vortex Razors which are a little more than the price you mentioned, but they compare design wise to the Swarovski EL series. I am not saying you have the Swarovskis, but you get 97% of the Swarovski for 35-45% of the price. You decide whether the other 3% is worth $1000.

I owned the Minox BD10x42BRs before they has the Aspherical lens design and they are really nice. My buddy now uses them. The newer versions have the Ashp lenses are supposed to be a little sharper for the same money.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Demo binos..... are they worth looking into? I can get a "new" pair of Monarchs for $299 with full warranty in the Camo 10X42 (forgot to mention... free shipping). Trouble is... they are a demo pair. What does that mean?? Hard trial use by somebody? Returned or rebuilt pair? Just put out on display at shows or at the counter somewhere? If I buy them new out of the box, I can get them for $319. Had a friend that used 10X42 Monarchs before he saved up for some ELs. I used them in a couple areas while glassing for him and was able to see very clearly and find lots of deer early mornings and evenings... so low light clarity and eye strain were never an issue... Opinions on the "demo" label?

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
I just purchased the Euro's from Cabela's also. I love them. The coolest part about it is if for any reason I choose to upgrade to a Higher end bino, they will credit my purchase amount towards the new ones at any time. How can you beat that?

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
elk22hunter said:
I just purchased the Euro's from Cabela's also. I love them. The coolest part about it is if for any reason I choose to upgrade to a Higher end bino, they will credit my purchase amount towards the new ones at any time. How can you beat that?
You can't beat that deal. I'm contemplating the same type trade up to the euros from my AG's myself.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
idiot with a bow said:
Get the kind that make things look closer..........I'm on a roll tonight
:lol: Wow... thats a great bit of insight... I'll keep that in mind when I make my decision. That was deep. :shock:

·
Premium Member
8,234 Posts
I think I would take the new pair, over the 'demo's....even with a warranty and such you may be out a few weeks by sending the item back for repairs...
If the price were 100 less, I could see buying the demo's. But for 20 bucks and shipping, I'd rather break 'em in myself.... :)

·
Premium Member
3,784 Posts
idiot with a bow wrote:
Get the kind that make things look closer..........I'm on a roll tonight
Just FYI, they all make things look closer, the ones that don't for you, just turn them around and look through the other side :p :wink: :lol:

·
Premium Member
11,689 Posts
The euros are very nice, but very heavy! If you ever pay full price at Cabelas; you are doing it wrong! Join the Cabelas club and get the $15 off of your first purchase and you will then be sent a coupon nearly every month for $30 off $100 purchase or $100 off of a $500 purchase, etc. I have the Monarchs and they are fine, but certainly a very different price range than the euros, if you can wait until at leat May you will have your tax rebate of at least $600...and can get the euros. Like many people have mentioned on this forum, it is such a long-term purchase item that it is worth the wait in getting the best that you can afford.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
I really like Zeiss Diafuns. Light and easy to use, clear and crisp. Great Warranty. All under $350. We have put them up against Swaros, Leicas, and other Zeiss and all seem to be comperable. I couldn't find a better Bino for the $$.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts