Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I am considering replacing the factory choke tube in my duck gun.
I have for a few years taken my Beretta A303 into the blind but the wood and condition of the gun made me cringe every time a drop of water even came close. I wised up this past spring and bought myself a CHEAP Beretta 3901. **** I love the gun.

I know that opinions are like you know what, Everybody has one but I'd like to here a few.
I don't know alot about the patternmaster chokes other than they may be a little tight for ducks over deke's. I'm considering the Briley in an improved modified or a Kicks.
Both of these chokes are ported and extended.

Let me know

Thanks
Gordy

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I own both the briley duck and the goose chokes, they work well for me, but seem better suited for pass shooting than shooting over dekes. I use an IC tube 98% of the time, and I don't fell handicapped with it. Aftermarket tubes have their time and place but most times the factory tubes will serve you well. I too considered trying out the improved modified, or possibly the light modified tubes for my SBE, but put the money towards ammo. :eek: :wink:

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
GSL, what gun are you shooting with the WW tube? I've looked at them on the Fuge and kinda liked what I saw and the things I read.... but I shoot an 870, have heard of a Pro I respect that shoots the same loads, same shotgun that I shoot and has PM's in all of his shotguns.... I've also seen them in action (only in a BPS) so, if I get one, it'll probably be a Patternmaster but I'm always open to other options. 8)

·
Registered
115 Posts
I am shooting them through a SBEII. I was shooting a terror .675 choke, a constriction choke made by the same company. I liked it but I like the wad stripping chokes better. Give the wad wizard a try, I think they have a 30 day no questions asked garauntee so you cant go wrong. The PM is a good choke as well I like the swat it is not as tight as the PM, as I understand it. Plus I am not a fan of the ported tubes.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I would highly recommend looking into a Kick's High Flyer. I have one and like it a lot. It throws a more even pattern than my Briley Extended Light Mod. (duck) and greatly out performs my factory chokes. Just remember that the chokes constrictions are for steel shot. So a Full Kicks is a Mod with lead. I shoot the full and love it but am tempted to pick up a Mod as well.

Give Chuck a call @ 1-800-587-2779 he is great to work with. He is sure to help you decide which choke will work best for where and how you hunt.

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
I got the pattenmaster choke in my remington.it the short range. What I ahve shot it at and killed with it I realy like it. We bought my father in law the briley duck. we have not shot it yet. so i cant realy say on that one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just bought a "titan" by Tru glow. All titanium adjustable choke tube. I like it patterns good and you can adjust it for your shooting. Plus you can shoot any thing through it from lead to steel. The reviews for things are also really good

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
get away from your factory chokes. even if you go with an ic choke get an after market.

·
Registered
152 Posts
huntingbuddy said:
get away from your factory chokes. even if you go with an ic choke get an after market.

Under most conditions (not skybusting) a factory IC choke would be the best option and a plus it comes free with your gun. This is what I use and I kill plenty of ducks and geese and swans. Well one swan a year.

I will probably never buy a aftermarket tube unless I go on a snow goose hunt where the shots will be longer. Even then I would just use my modified factory choke.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Mallardpin said:
huntingbuddy said:

Under most conditions (not skybusting) a factory IC choke would be the best option and a plus it comes free with your gun. This is what I use and I kill plenty of ducks and geese and swans. Well one swan a year.

I will probably never buy a aftermarket tube unless I go on a snow goose hunt where the shots will be longer. Even then I would just use my modified factory choke.
I got a buddy that bought two of the same shotguns at the same time, went out and patterned them used both factory ic in both guns with the same ammo. Two totally different patterns. You would think they would have the same pattern. An aftermarket tube is going to give you better consistancy.

·
Registered
152 Posts
An aftermarket tube is going to give you better consistancy

Says who *-HELP!-*

The people that make the aftermarket tubes.

Your friend should have just shoot the ammo with the best pattern.

What happened when he bought a aftermarket tube and shot the two different ammo's?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Mallardpin said:
An aftermarket tube is going to give you better consistancy

Says who *-HELP!-*

The people that make the aftermarket tubes.

Your friend should have just shoot the ammo with the best pattern.

What happened when he bought a aftermarket tube and shot the two different ammo's?
He got a better more consistent pattern when he shot the two guns using the same brand ammo. Buy an after market tube and you wont be disappointed.

·
Registered
152 Posts
He got a better more consistent pattern when he shot the two guns using the same brand ammo.

So it sounds like it was the AMMO not the CHOKE. :?

If you are new to the game shoot your factory tubes. If they pattern fine with the ammo your shooting why would you need a aftermarket tube. *-HELP!-* A lot of people blame to many thinks for their poor shooting. Like the ammo or the tube, these people need to PRACTICE more.

Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
219 Posts
My 2 cents for whats its worth...
Most factory tubes work fine better than most can shoot but you never know unless patterned. Once you pattern a tube, gun, shell combo that works excellent you have it ..But..
Sometimes it takes alot of time testing to find it. For most shooting economical shells you should try your factory tubes before buying a aftermarket you might have a winner right there.
My 2 main fowling guns shoot factory tubes in smaller shot size great with a mod and IC. But one likes Rem highspeed and the other likes Winchester. The O/U hates the IC tube but loves the mod tube :? I have a PM for the auto it does good on bigger shot but I have trouble hitting with it. Another thing to remember is a extended ported choke is louder so if in a tight blind with others they could feel your thunder. There is no easy way around it but most the time a choke will not make you a better shooter only practice will and a proper fitting gun with a good gun mount....

Spry

1 - 20 of 31 Posts