Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i had misunderstood the post about the nevada fees. And it really hit me today trying to put in for my annual bonus point. The DWR is now telling me that the point will cost $70.00 instead of the $5 for the app fee it normally is. This is the $65.00 for a license i will not use and the $5.00 with no refund! One of the the problems that settlers migrated from the old world to the new was Kings deer. Only the rich and the close friends to the king hunted. Poaching held stiff handed penalties. When you raise the cost for an indivdual to buy a bonus point 1300% in one year Thats a shock. but when asking a DWR rep this morning about the fee the arrogance was almost more than i could handle," tough, deal with it" Im tired of the calls! and their is not a thing you can do about it! Hang up! Now i said some things to provoke the guy. But not to create that response,I have the individuals name but sending a letter to the DWR is pointless, The DWR is a juggernaut, How in the hell did the utah state legislature approve such an extreme change! Especiallly when the DWr is openly bragging about the 523 mil sportsmen brought in last year. But hey think of the plus side, the wealthy get to hunt where they like, and all the middle and lower class people. get to hunt the uintahs for any bull they like! you think their crowded now, just wait! PS their will also be some nice depredation hunts you may be able to get your hands on! :D

·
Registered
272 Posts
soules2007 said:
Well i had misunderstood the post about the nevada fees. And it really hit me today trying to put in for my annual bonus point. The DWR is now telling me that the point will cost $70.00 instead of the $5 for the app fee it normally is. This is the $65.00 for a license i will not use and the $5.00 with no refund! One of the the problems that settlers migrated from the old world to the new was Kings deer. Only the rich and the close friends to the king hunted. Poaching held stiff handed penalties. When you raise the cost for an indivdual to buy a bonus point 1300% in one year Thats a shock. but when asking a DWR rep this morning about the fee the arrogance was almost more than i could handle," tough, deal with it" Im tired of the calls! and their is not a thing you can do about it! Hang up! Now i said some things to provoke the guy. But not to create that response,I have the individuals name but sending a letter to the DWR is pointless, The DWR is a juggernaut, How in the hell did the utah state legislature approve such an extreme change! Especiallly when the DWr is openly bragging about the 523 mil sportsmen brought in last year. But hey think of the plus side, the wealthy get to hunt where they like, and all the middle and lower class people. get to hunt the uintahs for any bull they like! you think their crowded now, just wait! PS their will also be some nice depredation hunts you may be able to get your hands on! :D
They did lower the cost of the deer tag and the elk tag which was nice. I personally will pay less this year because of the changes they made. But this is why you have to get involved and keep in touch with what the UDWR is doing. There was alot of talk about this before it was implemented and if I remember correctly it actualy started out as a straight fee increase acrossed the board.

Sign up for the UDWR news letter and check out thier press release section on the website often and you can get ahead of the curve on these issues and voice your frustraction before it is set in stone.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah i completly missed it. when you would read about people talking about fees it took it to mean they were proposed not implemented. Their is no question i missed the boat on this one, along with a vast amount of other hunters according to the wildlife officer he said they have received a whole lot of calls complaining about it. But they did send me a nice remember to apply card in the mail . Gotta see the posative side of things yeah?

·
Registered
272 Posts
I agree, most of my family didn't know about the changes either. The UDWR doesn't have the best public relations system and I've found when they try to get the message out the news outlets don't pick it up anyway. Unless it is something dramatic like the recent sheep transplant, they like to cover those storys. Helicopters flying sheep through the air make for good ratings.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah i would also dare to guess that raising a fee like would not be in the best intrest of the UDWR to really advertise, just do the bare min, and hope you dont get to much opposition.

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
soules2007 said:
Gotta see the posative side of things yeah?
That SHOULD apply to the SFW/trophy hunter issue as well. :eek:

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well i will pay the fee just because i am so close to being able to pick and choose my hunts in utah, when i get on the mountain i will hardly even remeber i paid it. Right up until i start rebuilding bonus points. :D Kinda posative EH? Pro keep the pics comin helps, me understand why i pay in the first place. this fee stings abit, 1 tank of gas, a couple pairs of shoes, you know. it adds up. Being a non res my fees are out of control anyway so any extra is a hard pill to swallow. If the money you spent eventually was credited to the tag you draw that would be at least be somthing. in talking to a couple of other nonres guys from NO (new orleans) they are going to draw a easier to get hunt and draw this year. and stop with utah all together. I do not think this is the desired outcome the UDWR was after. This could end up costing them alot more in the long run. On the flip side of the coin before to long alot of the states out thier will probably implement the same thing and you will be forced to deal with it or stop hunting. The hunting world is already losing people left and right and people are not taking their children out to hunt witch will be a crisis for future conservation.

·
Registered
335 Posts
before to long alot of the states out thier will probably implement the same thing and you will be forced to deal with it or stop hunting.
Utah has followed suit, not implemented something new. In Wyoming, points cost from $35 - $100 per species. In both Nevada and Idaho you must purchase a hunting license in order to apply for a tag. These are just the three that I know of off the top of my head.

By the way Soules2007, what state are you from?

·
Registered
801 Posts
Actually, Soules007, the DWR will see increased revenue from these changes. Even though a lot of non-residents may quit applying, their application fees will not be missed at all by the DWR. Those fees don't go to the DWR, but rather to the private company that administers the drawing. But now that everyone from out of state has to buy a hunting license, which money does go to the DWR, they will in fact be getting more money. I can see how non residents would think this is lame. And I am on the same page, kind of. But since all of our surrounding states have a similar setup, everyone has just been climbing on board in the Utah drawing since it was only $5. If I want a tag in Nevada that requires 8 bonus points, I will end up paying almost $1200 total for that tag. But prior to this year, a Nevada resident could apply for a similar Utah tag and only end up paying around $300. So when you consider all that, I think it's a more fair way to do things. Every state has fairly economical ways to hunt if you're a resident. But if you want to hunt other states you'll have to be prepared to pony up.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
I have been in contact with my buddy in Missouri and he is SO VERY GLAD he drew his LE Buck tag last year! Now he will concentrate on a Colorado Elk hunt he has his head into. He says Utah has gotten way out of hand for his caliber of hunting cash. I'm sure he is not alone either, and I sure would hate to be one of those guys who have a bunch of bonus points and little money. They are really the ones getting hurt by this.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
My understanding is that within the state, there were areas for increased revenue also. There has been a growing problem where guys apply for LE drawings for the non-hunting wife, daughter, grandpa, grandma etc. at very low cost. At least now everyone has to buy a license and contribue funds to wildlife management in order to be eligible to draw.

This past year, I happened upon a couple out hunting the LE Wasatch elk unit. The wife was about 5'2" and 100 pounds. She came up the trail following her husband, who was carrying the rifle (a 338 Ultra Mag). I asked how long it had taken him to draw, and she quickly barked out that it was actually her that had been successful. I then commented on how stout she must be to be shooting the 338 Ultra, and there was an uncomfortable pause while they looked at each other.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah shark i am quite certain alot of that is going on. I know people who do the same, and it is not illegal, or really unethical as long as the the person who draws the LE is acually doing the hunting. I know you are right the new fees will shure put a real slow down on that practice. :wink:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts