Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, on the Bullock Forum I posted a topic about my fly rod of many years being broken. Well my wonderful wife went out and bought me an inexpensive fly rod. Even though it is not one I would have picked out, it was within our budget. I'm not to the point where I have to have the best gear right now. That will come once I'm done with school. Anyway, I was using this new rod on Saturday while the U was kicking UCLA's but! *()*

I was using a small pmd and was having many strikes, but I was unable to set the hook. This has not happened in many years. It was bad. After the first few, I sharpened the hook and I still couldn't figure out what was wrong. I think in all I missed at least 20 strikes! :evil:

So my question is do you think it has to do with using a new rod? Or am I just having issues. Like I said, I haven't had this problem since I began fly fishing. Maybe I was just really slow that day, but the only variable that was different was the fly rod. Any comments/suggestions would be helpful.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
It sounds like the action on the new rod is different than the old one.
It will just take a few trips to get used to the new rod.
It may be a slower action than you had before.
What was the old rod? [ lenght and weigh ]
And the new one?

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
I would say the action is probably different and instead of being too "slow", you're probably too fast. When we would get inexperienced fishermen(not that you're inexperienced, but you rod is right?), the typical mistake they would make is pulling the fly out of the fishes' mouth because of excitement or lack of 'feel' for the rod, especially if they were fishing to downstream fish. In many instances, I would have them mend back and forth while releasing line so they would have plenty of slack, making it almost impossible for them to yank their fly out. Usually by the end of the day, most would have the hang of it.

If that aint it, maybe they just had your number? :wink:

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Old Rod 9ft 6wt
New Rod 9ft 6wt

Treehugnhuntr,

I definitely got outfished by the the fish on Saturday, that is for sure. But I'm assuming I'm just not used to this new rod. Even though it is the same length & wt. The other difference between the two rods is the old rod was a 2 piece and the new one is a 4 piece. Would this make a difference. I guess I'll just have to make the excuse to go out more and more until I get it figured out. But man, it felt like I was a newbie again.

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
Even if they are the exact same graphite, the 4 peice will always be slower, that is the one draw back in my opinion. Sometimes it's just the fishes turn. I think you're lucky to have it be challenging once again, kinda brings back the newness.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I doubt your rod had anything to do with it. We all have days like that. Did you try changing patterns? I have had trout bump a PMD pattern many times without actually taking it. They seem to get more selective with the PMD hatch than any other. I had a couple times this summer when I was fishing a sparkle dun and catching fish, only to have them start bumping the fly later in the hatch and not actually taking it. After trimming off most or all of the antron shuck, they would start taking it with more conviction. That is just one example of how they will start reacting differently to a pattern mid hatch. I usually change flies several times during a PMD hatch to cover all the different stages and match what they are keying in on.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ScottyP,

I changed different types of PMD patterns. But they kept hitting just one. But thanks for the help. I know it was just one of those days. I just haven't had one of those for a while.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I doubt having 2 or 4 rod has anything to do with it. Many companies offer the same rods in both 2 and 4 piece models and I can't hardly tell the difference in action. I have thrown just about every current sage rod in weight 3 through 8 and 2 piece vs 4 piece is really no difference between the two. Granted we are talking high end rods such as the Z Axis, ZXL, SLT, etc. etc. but there is really no change. You just get the versatility of a rod that you can throw in a duffel bag. The newer ferrule designs allow the rods to keep true to action (of a 2 piece rod)

·
Registered
189 Posts
I think I’m going to have to agree with Scotty on this one. However, I will say that if your rod is significantly faster then your pervious rod, you will have a hard time setting the hook. I remember trying to fish the green with my 6 weight Sage XP using size 20-24 bunny midges. I can’t tell you how many flies I went though and how many strikes I missed. A med to med/slow action 4-weight rod is ideal for most of Utah streams for dry fly-fishing. Save the fast action rods for streamers/ lakes and heavy nymph rigs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts