Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The cat has somewhat been let out of the bag but by Deercatcherguy on his thread but I thought that I'd fill you all in a bit on a journey that EPEK, Tex O Bob and myself are heading into. We have another person involved in in our orriginal quartet who is an archery shop owner. Since all of us are somewhat annonomous, we'll leave him that way too.

On September 28th of this past fall, ('07) Epek phoned me and said that he is tired of not getting broadheads to fly true. He knew of my frustration in the spring when I shot every broadhead under the heavens and had the same luck. It wasn't that we couldn't get some of them to fly but NONE of them flew like a field tip and hit in the same place as our field tips. We could change our sights to adjust to the broadheads but when we came back to camp we couldn't shoot for fun without being off. His frustration was with mechanicals as well since they ALL had something hanging out there to cause problems with the wind. He said, "I want to get a broadhead to fly by getting a few of us together and coming up with our own new broadhead that would have totally concealed blades. He told me of the other two guys that he would like to work on this project and he likely had the same conversations with them also. We began meeting and creating drawings. We met in Tex's shop and tried to make a prototype with parts lying around his shop. We could come up with the gest but that was it. Epek made a prototype out of foam and a tube from a paper towell roll. He took that to an engineer and off we went. We had it drawn by a professional and then machined. Last week we all spent three days at the Archery Trade Association show in Indianapolis Indiana. We took a handfull of prototypes and had a ball. We showed it to litterally thousands of dealers, exibiters, and hunting Celebs. We did not have ONE person that went away from us saying that our idea was bad. They all loved it. We have celebs wanting to shoot it on their show. We have dealers all accross the nation wanting to sell them in their shops. It was a fun event and we decided to open it to every one. We couldn't say anything about it before now as we just did the paper work on the patent.

It works off of the pressure on the head causing the deployment of the blades. They all open at the same time. I have a picture of it closed and open. The blades in the photo are not real blades but prototypes to show the effect.

She flies JUST like a field tip because she LOOKS like a field tip.

·
Premium Member
8,234 Posts
Good think'in you guy's... 8) 8)

Now.....what's next ? Mass production ? TV show ? Retire with big boats and airplanes ?? :)

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
.45 said:
Good think'in you guy's... 8) 8)

Now.....what's next ? Mass production ? TV show ? Retire with big boats and airplanes ?? :)
All of the above!!!! :D

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Looks like you guys have a great idea. Only question I have is if it is legal to use in Utah? That 7/8 ring and all. Best of luck with it.

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
Good luck guys. Hope it works out for you four.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
That look's cool I was wondering how you would dploy the blades when I read the other post.

I know your probably still finanlizing things and some design aspects but, can I ask. What are the possibilities of it openig due to the inertia of the release, and having the blades open during/prior to flight?

Anyway good luck, it looks like we will all have a new braodhead to try out soon.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Nice, my question is what locks the blades in the open position. What stops the blades from going right back into itself after contact. I am sure that is all confidential information, but I would buy them if you could guarantee; 1) They open enough to be legal 2) The blades stay locked out.

Good work boys, I am excited. Don't forget about us forum folks when you become rich and famous.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Cool, I can't wait until I get to manhandle one!

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
jahan said:
Nice, my question is what locks the blades in the open position. What stops the blades from going right back into itself after contact. I am sure that is all confidential information, but I would buy them if you could guarantee; 1) They open enough to be legal 2) The blades stay locked out.

Good work boys, I am excited. Don't forget about us forum folks when you become rich and famous.
1. The open diameter when the blades are at a 45 degree angle to the ferrule is 1 1/2 inches.
2. Yes they open every time, and they stay locked out at a 45. The geometry of the blade design is what keeps them locked out. It is imposible for the blades to do anything else when forward pressure is being aplied. And, forward pressure is not required to keep them locked in place.

The more pressure that is aplied, the stronger the lock is on the blades. So, the instant this head strikes a solid mass is when it is at it's strongest. The moment of impact. When you need the most out of your broadhead. After impact it is basically a 1 1/2 inch diameter three bladed broadhead that is going to create a wound channel like you have never seen and leave buckets of blood on the ground. :twisted:

Believe me, I'm a died in the wool traditional bowhunter. The world of "high tech" does not impress me very often. I've shot wood arrows and snuffers for 20 years. For me to get my head wraped around this concept it had to be pretty sick. And It is! Siiiiick! 8)

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I got a chance to "man handle" one of these at the Jazz game last night. Very cool idea. I have never been a fan of mechanical broadheads, but this one deals with some of the issues quite nicely. I think it will offer some real nice features. I like the idea of "locking out" the blades to only shoot as a field tip, thus never having to switch tips, great idea. Good luck!

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
inbowrange said:
what time frame are you looking at to have them on the market?
Right now we're shooting for June 15th. Check out the statis by calling the Utah Archery Center. Ask for the EPEK XC3. "X-ring accuracy, Concealed, Three bladed, broadhead."

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Have you guys got to test it on any animals? Looks like a good broad head, I don't shoot mechanicals, but if it works like you say I would be sold. What are you guys thinking about charging? Is it going to be outragous like some heads or is it going to be reasonable? :oops:

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
You boys NEED to let me 'try' them out on my upcoming turkey/elk hunts. :p

I have a few concerns, but I am sure when I show up for Friday night league, I'll hear plenty about it. 8)

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
bowhunter3 said:
... What are you guys thinking about charging? Is it going to be outragous like some heads or is it going to be reasonable? :oops:
Capitolism, young man!

·
Registered
623 Posts
What I have learned in this adventure about the nature of aerodynamics has been amazing. I used to think that you can tune a broadhead, arrow, bow or all three and get your broadhead to fly like a field tip. That is not possible because of the aerodynamic of every broadhead that isn't shaped like a field tip. A great archer can miss seen obsticles, but no archer can 'see' unseen obsticles created by wind, which include, drag, drafts down, up quartering from behind front or side, and if you have anything which can 'deflect' the directing nature of your broadhead, you will deflect, nothing you can do about it. The reason field tips fly good in the wind, is because they are being directed by the weight in the front, and the fletching in the back with after drag does not direct the arrow but stabelizes them. So, with the front weighted and shaped like a field tip and with a bit of advantage of FOC caused by the length of the broadhead, you maintain and may enhance accuracy.

·
Registered
573 Posts
does it take a lot of pressure to get the blades to open and if not a lot of pressure do you have to worry about the blades opening when you put them in your quiver?

·
Registered
623 Posts
It does take some pressure, but they do open thru cardboard with very little poundage, (tested on with a genesis) They slide into a quiver very nicely and when pulled out, that does not deploy the blades. This is of course a concern with all mechanicals. We are working out the kinks and will not let this go to market without addressing each of these concerns. So far we have accomplished a lot in a short period of time and have met some very amazing deadlines and met some well set goals. Thanks for your imput. If anyone can think of other concerns, they will be addressed. I do realize that this is sort of marketing on a sight that should not maybe condone these actions, so I would like to direct this discussion with concerns for a very critical element of archery hunting, the broadhead concerns. Remember, EPEK stands for ethical pursuit ethical kill, and I am not preaching what I think others ethics should be, but I am using this theme to insure that our product covers as many broadhead concerns as I can think of. Mostly accuracy, but dependablity, durability, penetration and laceration. So far we have done very well in each of these arenas, but will always try to improve.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
inbowrange said:
does it take a lot of pressure to get the blades to open and if not a lot of pressure do you have to worry about the blades opening when you put them in your quiver?
It requires a little pressure about 5 lbs of pull, kinda like the trigger on a shotgun. We want a little resistance so it won't open in flight and will be stable in your quiver as well. Right now we're working on some slight modifications to enhance its performance in and out of the quiver. The ONLY way it will open is by pressure being put on it from the front. It will not open with pressure from the rear (Bowstring).

1 - 20 of 74 Posts