Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to hit a new grouse spot today, kicked 3 up, brought home 2 and watched a hawk take one out of a tree, which was awesome
I also saw 15 doves just off the road as I was driving in, if I ever decide to hit doves, I’ll go there.

Plant Garden tool Grass Tool Groundcover
Hand Bird nest Natural material Finger Plant

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Great job. Better go back soon for the doves. One day they're there, next day they're gone.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went back when I was done hunting grouse and they were gone, figured it was just because it was midday, kicked up a couple but decided not to shoot them

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was up Elk scouting this weekend and talked myself out of bringing my shotgun for grouse because I was there to scout. My younger brother talked me into bringing 22s for fun. Scouting was great, and . I managed to pop a grouse. I'll share a pic. They were very plump very healthy birds we were jumping. I think I found a new spot too... Problem is I was 5 miles hike in so I won't be going too often haha

Plant Sky Cloud Ecoregion Tree

·
Registered
403 Posts
Nice find on the grouse. But just so you know it is illegal to hunt grouse with a .22 in Utah. (As stupid as that is) has to be a shotgun or archery.

·
Super Moderator
10,022 Posts
Yes, you need to read the regulations, a handgun can be used but it needs to be shooting at least a 1/2 oz of #2-#8 shot.

·
Super Moderator
10,022 Posts
It's under weapons I believe in the Turkey and Upland Game book

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
343 Posts
I think the DWR should allow grouse to be taken with a .22LR but decrease the bag limit to 1 bird if your hunting with a .22LR.

·
Super Moderator
10,022 Posts
I think the DWR should allow grouse to be taken with a .22LR but decrease the bag limit to 1 bird if your hunting with a .22LR.
Here in Colorado you can use anything that you can use almost any weapon. Rifle, shotgun, handgun, slingshot, or pellet rifles.

On a limits, have you tried popping ground in the head with a big game rifle and or even a 22 Lr? It isn't as easy as it sounds. And you don't want to hit them in the body and ruin any of that good meat.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Agreed! I'll have to talk with my local state rep and see if we can make some changes this upcoming session.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts