Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
21,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hornady has a new bullet, the ELD-X (Extremely Low Drag eXpanding.)

One of the projectiles' attributes is that the plastic tip won't melt in today's long range rocket launchers. Uh........does this mean the tips melt on the other plastic-tipped bullets Hornady makes?

Anyway see: http://www.hornady.com/store/ELD-X

Another attribute is that the new bullet has 4 capital letters, but in my humble opinion the hyphen is unnecessary.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I was just reading bout that on americanhunter.org. hornady is saying all the current polymer tips from all manufacturers melt after 150 yds. wonder what the velocity threshold for melting tips is. anyways, I like the 200 gr loading for .300 win mag, may try em out.
you make a fair point about the hyphen. should I pause before the x when I say it out loud?

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I'll try these just because I'm a junkie. My first reaction is that the melting tip theory is either bunk or non consequential as I've been shooting sub-MOA groups at 1000 yards for a long time with the A-MAX. -----SS

·
Premium Member
4,049 Posts
the way I heard it, Hornady was testing their bullets using some doppler radar thingy, and found that at very long range the ballistic coefficient was dropping off. That's when they figured out that their tips were melting. Maybe they should use bronze ones like Remington did before 'goob was born.

·
Administrator
21,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll try these just because I'm a junkie. My first reaction is that the melting tip theory is either bunk or non consequential as I've been shooting sub-MOA groups at 1000 yards for a long time with the A-MAX. -----SS
Yeah I was thinking the same thing; how do you explain all the dime-sized groups using all the plastic-tipped bullets in the past.

On another note I'm disappointed Hornady is introducing new projectiles while the manufacture of other bullet configurations have been discontinued or are on "hold."

Lastly, like you I'll be trying the things out.

·
Administrator
21,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the way I heard it, Hornady was testing their bullets using some doppler radar thingy, and found that at very long range the ballistic coefficient was dropping off. That's when they figured out that their tips were melting. Maybe they should use bronze ones like Remington did before 'goob was born.
Hey, the only thing wrong with bronze bullets is you can't find them anymore. :)

·
Registered
10,050 Posts
If they had tech like that, the doppler thingy, they were probably making special bullets for the military and super long range shooting.

Arguably, the coefficent does change with respect to velocity. Thats one reason why Sierra shows 3 different BCs for their bullets, depending on the velocity. I had a request to calculate that in my software, to "bracket" velocites... I started down that road but it was overly complicated and honestly, it was looking like the precision really wasnt all that different than using a single bc.

-DallanC

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
Hornady has a new bullet, the ELD-X (Extremely Low Drag eXpanding.)

One of the projectiles' attributes is that the plastic tip won't melt in today's long range rocket launchers. Uh........does this mean the tips melt on the other plastic-tipped bullets Hornady makes?

Anyway see: http://www.hornady.com/store/ELD-X

Another attribute is that the new bullet has 4 capital letters, but in my humble opinion the hyphen is unnecessary.

Why can't they just be bullets...why do they have to hyphenate the names...I think hyphenated names are just plain ridiculous...look you're either an American or not, geeze what's with all this hyphenated PC garbage these days. :doh:

Reactions: 35whelen

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
im intrigued by the new offering but I'd be more excited if they'd announced they were Going to resume production of .35 cal 250 gr roundnose.

·
Registered
367 Posts
How does the tip melt after 150 yards seems the rotation and velocity slow at longer ranges thus creating less friction.
I suppose that as friction is placed on the bullet as a result of the air it passes, especially at high velocities are the norm, the bullet heats up. At a given point in time, and where ever that may be spatially, 150 yards or otherwise, the plastic portion of the bullet has reached its melting point at what ever pressure it is currently undergoing. As long as the heat produced by friction reaches that melting point and starts deforming the tip before there is too little heat, the effect would remain. When we apply heat to ice in an attempt to melt it, it doesn't happen immediately, but once it does start to melt and that liquid H2O melts down the drain, it doesn't matter if it turns back to ice, we're still missing mass. A more visually pleasing model would be the idea of trying to boil water when you don't have time for such things.

This is just my immediate idea that might explain what is happening 150 yards away from the muzzle, under the acceptance that tip melting is an occurring event. It may explain the switch to a 'low drag' bullet as opposed to a conventional design, or perhaps as just a competitor to Nosler's accubond long range bullets.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Nobody buy any more AMAX please:D

Maybe they do melt and accuracy does suffer but not enough to throw them all away.
Dont get me wrong I do want to try out the new and improved bullets with that high BC but im not going to say what was already on the market was junk

·
Administrator
7,955 Posts
Utmuddguy said:
How does the tip melt after 150 yards seems the rotation and velocity slow at longer ranges thus creating less friction.
Don't forget the friction the bullet experiences while leaving the barrel. It could be that the bullet heats up substantially from this process, and at about 150 yards, the polymer tip has had enough opportunity to heat up and deform. Then add in air friction, and I could see why this would happen.

Although, I don't think I have ever considered this a possibility. But in theory it makes sense.

They should just replace the polymer with a brittle glass that shatters on impact.

·
Super Moderator
9,782 Posts
They should just replace the polymer with a brittle glass that shatters on impact.
Then there would be health advisories about eating meat with glass embedded in it.

I'm going to call BS on the tips melting. If it is getting that hot then you would be burning hair or fur when the bullet enters a animal.

·
Registered
10,050 Posts
There's alot of blowby of super heated gases even before the bullet starts to move... I cant imagine friction of the bullet through the air would be more than that. Sounds like a good marketing "story" that is fractionally based on fact.

-DallanC

·
Administrator
7,955 Posts
Then there would be health advisories about eating meat with glass embedded in it.

I was hoping someone would call that out!

Critter gets kudos for paying attention!

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I don't really care what the tip of my bullet is doing... It could be be doing the "Harlem Shake" in it's flight path...As long as it prints well on paper and they each do the exact same thing every time I pull the trigger them I am happy.

I do like Hornady though...

·
Registered
230 Posts
Yeah I was thinking the same thing; how do you explain all the dime-sized groups using all the plastic-tipped bullets in the past.

On another note I'm disappointed Hornady is introducing new projectiles while the manufacture of other bullet configurations have been discontinued or are on "hold."

Lastly, like you I'll be trying the things out.
What projectiles are you looking for goob? I've noticed several of the ones that were on hold have started showing up again.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts