Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, thought I'd post up some photos of my newest idea-the Sneaker Sled. For the past few seasons I've been obsessed with trying to design and build the perfect waterfowling sled. I wanted something that would meet these design goals-light, concealable, able to carry a lot of weight, towable behind a boat, able to be used in snow, ice, mud, and shallow water, and able to be used as a blind when unloaded. After a few prototypes I settled on a design and got to building-here she is!

Specs- LOA 90" (****pit 72"), Width 40" (****pit 30"), depth 10", weight 30-35lbs

Built of 3/8" Divynycell marine foam core w/epoxy and fiberglass sheathing, keels sheathed with Dynel fabric for extra wear resistance-this was my first time working with Divynycell-it's awesome stuff! They are using it to build everything from tiny personal kayaks to 100'+ ocean-going sportfishing boats-it's light, very strong, and closed-cell so it won't absorb water if it gets exposed. I can't wait to build more stuff with it! Combined with epoxy it makes a very strong, light, and durable structure.

In the interest of using it as a blind, I had my wife help me make a removable blind cover-it is made of 1000D Cordura, and is held in place with a removable conduit bar and some heavy-duty snaps, with layout blind style doors-

I can't wait to see how well they actually hunt-next week can't get here fast enough!

·
Registered
346 Posts
That looks awesome! With some modifications it looks like it could be modified to be a layout boat too.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys! I really can't wait to see how they do on the water! Fish-n-I thought about going camo, but I wanted to leave the option open to hunt sheet water with it and thought a solid color might work better. We will have to see!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again guys-the materials are fairly expensive, I figure each sled has about $500 in materials in it with the cover included. Each one takes me around 20-25 hours give or take, so they're not that complex to build but it does take some time. Toasty, I would love to build you one after I get to hunt out of them a bit to make sure I'm happy with the design-PM me if you're interested!

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Very nice, Cody. How will you transport it? How stable is it? How much does it weigh? Will you be able to stake it down?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.