Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We picked this guy up last Thursday. So far he has been quiet in the crate and sleeps all through the night. Only one pee accident on the tile floor (my fault, should have taken him right outside when I got him out of the crate). Looking forward to starting another dog for waterfowl/upland hunting.

I think my hunting days with my yellow lab "Hagen" are numbered. This season will be his 10th. It's a tough pill to swallow watching a good dog slow down because of age. I will keep taking him as long as he wants to go though.

Rosewoods Code Black "Koda"

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
Nice! I picked up one of those New retrieving devices as well! Forgot how mischievous these little guys are.

I want to get out with wasatch retriever clubs, I feel like I could learn a bunch from hanging around some of those guys and getting the most out of my retriever.

This is him at the vet Friday at 9 weeks old and 15lbs

King Sundance The Great or "King" for short

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
Are you working on desire with the Chessie?
She loves to retrieve the dummy duck on land but she doesn't like water and is scared as hell of fireworks and gunfire right now.....those are the things I am trying to get her to overcome.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I have a retrieving device but she is gun shy, water shy and is generally as stubborn as an ox. But I refuse to give up on her.
My dog was very well trained with obedience. I got her into some waist deep water and discovered she swims like a rock. I have jumped in 3 times to save her when all I could see was her nose or just bubbles. She'll end up a pheasant dog when I have time.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
We picked this guy up last Thursday. So far he has been quiet in the crate and sleeps all through the night. Only one pee accident on the tile floor (my fault, should have taken him right outside when I got him out of the crate). Looking forward to starting another dog for waterfowl/upland hunting.

I think my hunting days with my yellow lab "Hagen" are numbered. This season will be his 10th. It's a tough pill to swallow watching a good dog slow down because of age. I will keep taking him as long as he wants to go though.

Rosewoods Code Black "Koda"
Looks like you're going to have fun!!!!!

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rob, does he like pizza?:pizza:
Oh.... I didn't even think about that. He probably will, and if he doesn't I'm sure Hagen will show him how good it is. I can't tell you how many pizzas I have lost in the blind, but it's a few. I start shooting and Hagen starts eating. That dog is a master of flipping pizza box lids open.:) He sure liked the pizza you gave him too.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looking through some photos and can't believe I have had "Hagen" for 9 years. Seems like not long ago he was a puppy. He's gotta be around 95 pounds now. The new pup will be smaller, probably around 65 pounds. It's been one big pi$$ing contest around my yard this last week.:D

Attachments

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
Looking through some photos and can't believe I have had "Hagen" for 9 years. Seems like not long ago he was a puppy. He's gotta be around 95 pounds now. The new pup will be smaller, probably around 65 pounds. It's been one big pi$$ing contest around my yard this last week.:D
I remember when you guys picked him up. I cant be leave it been that long. he grown up to be one bad ass dog. i have enjoyed hunting over him and watching him work.It going to be sad not seeing him out there with us and gadwall will miss him as well.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So far the transition of having a puppy around my older Lab has worked out good. I didn't know what to expect with the old boy having the yard to himself for 9 years. It has been a whizzing contest for over a week, mostly the older dog going right behind wherever the pup goes.

There was a bit of anxiety with the old boy at first. A lot of foaming and slobbering from the mouth, and just looking unsure about the whole thing. He has settled down now and I think they will work good together.

Oh, and I have the pup doing basic commands already with sitting, staying and working on his name when called. He's a smart little firecracker, I hope I can do him justice.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 73 Posts