Utah Wildlife Forum banner
21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
My golden pup and my 3 year old lab play ALL the time, sometimes too excessively. If it gets too loud and too much I tie the little one up with a leash to the kitchen table so he can simmer down some. Is this something I should try and control? Or do I just let them puppy?

I've never had 2 dogs at the same time so I would really like to avoid any complications with training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
8,046 Posts
Nice!

I dunno if any of you grumpy guys ever watched "The Fox and the Hound" as a kid, that was one of my favorite movies growing up. But the reason I mention that is because hopefully it'll be a Copper and Chief opportunity where Hagen will be able to help you train up another fine hunting buddy but also help lighten the load on his aging body.

Congrats on your new retrieving device. Hopefully the batteries hold a good charge!

·
Registered
6,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Nice!

I dunno if any of you grumpy guys ever watched "The Fox and the Hound" as a kid, that was one of my favorite movies growing up. But the reason I mention that is because hopefully it'll be a Copper and Chief opportunity where Hagen will be able to help you train up another fine hunting buddy but also help lighten the load on his aging body.

Congrats on your new retrieving device. Hopefully the batteries hold a good charge!
Thanks, I sure hope I can make a duck dog out of him with help from Hagen.

·
Registered
6,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Introduction to water. Nothing too serious, just a playful morning to get Koda in and around water. It was a good first lesson. Hagen got in on the action too.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Took the pup in for his last set of shots today. Dang he is growing fast and learning more each day.

Went out on the desert the other day looking for doves. This has been a good spot in the past, but not this year. He is not gun shy by any means, but does like to grab the empties as they eject from the gun. We'll work on that.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Hey, Fowlmouth how's Koda coming along?
Thanks for asking.
Well, I am looking forward to the puppy stage to end. He still has his puppy teeth and loves to chew on wood, mainly my porch and trim on the shed.:-x He is a little firecracker I tell you. I am still working on some of the basic commands with him. He is 5 months old now and still acts like a puppy, I guess that is to be expected. I hope to get him out hunting a few times this year.

·
Registered
6,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
My daughter and I got the pups out today and shot a few ducks. This was Koda's first time in a boat, and his first duck hunt. He is 5 months old and learning quickly. I was worried about him jumping out of the boat while I was running it, but he never even thought about it. He stood tall on the bow like an old pro. This dog has a lot of drive and is eager to please.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Dang retrieving birds in 5 months. I'm not even dreaming of that with my chessie. We're still working on obedience and steadiness. I've got a long road ahead still

Believe me he is still a puppy and acts like one too, but he is doing pretty good so far. It will be a long process and a lot of work to get him where he needs to be. Good luck with your pup!

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
Dang retrieving birds in 5 months. I'm not even dreaming of that with my chessie. We're still working on obedience and steadiness. I've got a long road ahead still

Obedience and Chessie....two words that don't belong in the same sentence with mine!

Reactions: Ducksanddogs

·
Registered
620 Posts
My daughter and I got the pups out today and shot a few ducks. This was Koda's first time in a boat, and his first duck hunt. He is 5 months old and learning quickly. I was worried about him jumping out of the boat while I was running it, but he never even thought about it. He stood tall on the bow like an old pro. This dog has a lot of drive and is eager to please.
That first picture is awesome!!! The old man is teaching him.

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
That first pic is awesome, both dogs look really ready to go.

Reactions: Fowlmouth

·
Registered
6,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I took Koda hunting and left Hagen home. I wanted to focus on him and see how he would act without Hagen around. He did pretty good and found a wigeon in the phrag that I never would have. He retrieved 6 ducks, including this pintail.

Attachments

·
Registered
620 Posts
I took Koda hunting and left Hagen home. I wanted to focus on him and see how he would act without Hagen around. He did pretty good and found a wigeon in the phrag that I never would have. He retrieved 6 ducks, including this pintail.
Poor Hagen. Hope you left an open box of pizza at home.

·
Registered
6,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I feel like I must have missed this pizza story...
Hagen likes pizza, sometimes too much. He is a master pizza box opener. We have lost a 1/2 dozen or so pizzas while out duck hunting. We start shooting at ducks and that's Hagens signal to start popping box lids open. I forgot to warn some of the guys last Saturday and of course he jumped in their boat and got one of theirs too. Pizza and duck hunting, doesn't get much better.

·
Registered
6,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I took Koda with me again today. He is really figuring this stuff out. He marks birds 60+ yards and retrieves all of them. It's nice to just sit in the boat and watch. I have shot a drake pintail every trip out this season.:smile:

Attachments

21 - 40 of 68 Posts