Utah Wildlife Forum banner
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
6,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I took Hagen and Koda out for a pheasant hunt this evening. They were both working really hard for birds. Koda flushed the first Rooster and my buddy and I didn't have a safe shot so we let that one go. After that a switch kicked on in Kodas head and he was all business for the rest of the evening. The next Rooster Hagen flushed and I missed. (I suck at shooting pheasants) then Koda flushed the third Rooster and guess what? I missed again at 15 yards going straight away. Koda marked where it landed and took off on a 200 yard dash to where it went down, he sniffed around for a minute and caught the Rooster. He was flinging it around like a puppy would and it flew off. Another guy ended up shooting it. Then he ran over to him and flushed another Rooster that he shot and wounded. It took off running and so did Koda, he caught it and delivered it to him. (I should have charged him rent for my dogs services) The 4th Rooster was Hagens flush and I finally pounded that one. The fifth Rooster was Hagens flush again and my buddy smoked that one. The sixth Rooster was another guys dog that was walking back with us, my buddy and I tag teamed that one. It was getting too dark to shoot and the pups were still flushing birds. Fun evening to get out and the weather was great.

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
I took Hagen and Koda out for a pheasant hunt this evening. They were both working really hard for birds. Koda flushed the first Rooster and my buddy and I didn't have a safe shot so we let that one go. After that a switch kicked on in Kodas head and he was all business for the rest of the evening. The next Rooster Hagen flushed and I missed. (I suck at shooting pheasants) then Koda flushed the third Rooster and guess what? I missed again at 15 yards going straight away. Koda marked where it landed and took off on a 200 yard dash to where it went down, he sniffed around for a minute and caught the Rooster. He was flinging it around like a puppy would and it flew off. Another guy ended up shooting it. Then he ran over to him and flushed another Rooster that he shot and wounded. It took off running and so did Koda, he caught it and delivered it to him. (I should have charged him rent for my dogs services) The 4th Rooster was Hagens flush and I finally pounded that one. The fifth Rooster was Hagens flush again and my buddy smoked that one. The sixth Rooster was another guys dog that was walking back with us, my buddy and I tag teamed that one. It was getting too dark to shoot and the pups were still flushing birds. Fun evening to get out and the weather was great.
Did you cross train your dog on it? I'm still working on obedience with my chessie but we're about to graduate to some retrieves now that his adult teeth are almost all in. Once I get him hold conditioned I'm going to start letting him chase some pigeons around but I'm wondering how to cross train him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Did you cross train your dog on it? I'm still working on obedience with my chessie but we're about to graduate to some retrieves now that his adult teeth are almost all in. Once I get him hold conditioned I'm going to start letting him chase some pigeons around but I'm wondering how to cross train him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't know if you would call it cross training, but I brought Koda along with my yellow dog to gain some experience. I was more than surprised at how well he did after he found the first rooster. He figured it out quick and was finding/retrieving as many pheasants as my old yellow dog. Dogs are smart! Here's a photo of from last week with Koda (8 months old) with his first goose.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Koda's a little bigger this year. He does well with the water retrieves, but getting him to go in the phrag when he doesn't mark the bird is something we are working on. I got so used to sending my yellow lab Hagen into the phrag to find a downed bird, I was spoiled, and I lost very few ducks. I'll keep working with Koda on this.

Attachments

·
Registered
620 Posts
Koda's a little bigger this year. He does well with the water retrieves, but getting him to go in the phrag when he doesn't mark the bird is something we are working on. I got so used to sending my yellow lab Hagen into the phrag to find a downed bird, I was spoiled, and I lost very few ducks. I'll keep working with Koda on this.
Man, I sure liked to watch Hagen do his thing.

I need a dog like yours to show Lucy what she needs to do. I had a greenie five feet in front of her face yesterday. I saw where it went into the reeds and could see it. I told her to get it and she looked at me like get what! There ain't no bumper right there.

Turns out when she went in the bird dove and I lost track of it. Pissed me off and I should have just grabbed it. Won't trust that her internal instincts will kick in again.

Lets get out!:grin:

·
Registered
6,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
This is a timely post, I've been meaning to ask you how Koda has been coming along. He is one fine looking dog. :O||:
He's a good pup. However, my training him has been lacking this year. I don't do trials or any of that stuff, basically just need a dog that can mark birds and retrieve. He fits the bill.

·
Registered
6,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
I am very sad to report that we had to put Koda down early this morning. A couple of weeks ago he stopped eating his normal amount of food. He has for some reason always swallowed rocks and pukes them up or craps them out. We figured he had a blockage that wasn’t going away without help. My wife and daughter took him to an emergency Veterinarian at 8:00 last night where they did several tests, including blood work. He didn’t have any obstruction or blockage. What they discovered through blood work was shocking to us. Lymphoma and it spread fast. Lymph nodes all over were swollen. I hunted him 3 days ago and he was in good condition. He declined Thursday and was in terrible shape yesterday. The Veterinarian said don’t take him home. The decision was made. This duck season just keeps getting worse!

·
Registered
165 Posts
I am very sad to report that we had to put Koda down early this morning. A couple of weeks ago he stopped eating his normal amount of food. He has for some reason always swallowed rocks and pukes them up or craps them out. We figured he had a blockage that wasn’t going away without help. My wife and daughter took him to an emergency Veterinarian at 8:00 last night where they did several tests, including blood work. He didn’t have any obstruction or blockage. What they discovered through blood work was shocking to us. Lymphoma and it spread fast. Lymph nodes all over were swollen. I hunted him 3 days ago and he was in good condition. He declined Thursday and was in terrible shape yesterday. The Veterinarian said don’t take him home. The decision was made. This duck season just keeps getting worse!
So sorry for your loss!!

41 - 60 of 68 Posts