Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
SFW posted this statement on its website today: http://sfw.net/2016/03/02/2492/ I found the following statement to be of particular interest:

SFW said:
"One of the primary attractions to the WHCE is 200 special Utah hunting permits available to the public for a $5 application fee each. The $5 drawing alone raised more than $1 million for Utah conservation this year. One dollar and fifty-cents of each $5 application fee is retained for the Utah Division of Wildlife and its wildlife conservation programs, and $3.50 evenly split between SFW and MDF, all of which is used to bolster wildlife conservation throughout the state of Utah benefiting multiple species. This commitment to utilize 100% of the application fee revenue to support Utah Conservation Initiatives included in the contract that SFW recently signed with the State to distribute expo permits from 2017 to 2021. We will annually disclose how these funds are utilized to benefit Utah wildlife."
Do any of you folks have any insight into what SFW means when it says "100% of the application fee revenue to support Utah Conservation Initiatives"? It sounds like SFW and the DWR may have addressed this issue in their contract that was just recently signed. SFW also states that they will annually disclose how these funds are utilized to benefit wildlife.

So what do you guys think? Is it possible that the DWR and the groups have listened to the public and addressed this problem? Does anybody have any insight into what was agreed to by SFW and the DWR? I submitted a GRAMA request to the DWR requesting a copy of the latest contract but I am still waiting for a response. I would sure like to see this matter resolved. But as the old saying goes, the devil is in the details. Cross your fingers.

-Hawkeye-

·
Premium Member
11,688 Posts
Is this new then? They didn't previously disclose any of their festivities, categorized as a more vague line item that doesn't really specify if they were used to upgrade Peay's trailer or do a real project.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
On Monday, about noon, I went to the DWR office to apply for a bear tag, but before I finished taking the test and taking care of the transaction, Jon, Chris, Miles, ?, (I'm really bad remembering names and putting names to faces.) walked by, coming from the meeting room area. Shortly thereafter, as I was leaving, they were in the alcove area between the outside doors and inside doors and I stopped to talk with them a bit. They didn't indicate why they were there and I didn't ask, but I wondered. Maybe they had a napkin meeting. In any case, they were very cordial and seemed relaxed, although Hawkeye's name came up with the usual claim he's trying to shut them down. I didn't want to get into it since I was outnumbered. I simply told them, while we don't agree on some things, we don't disagree on everything. They seemed ok with that and we parted company on good terms with them wishing me a safe trip home. Maybe we'll hear from DWR soon, as well.

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
I think the 100% line is to make their current practices seem more like the RMEF proposal. You know, since MDF and SFW do actually help out wildlife as their purpose for existing. We just might differ on whether or not taking people hunting in Canada is actually for the betterment of Utah wildlife.

·
1,666 Posts
So, unless I am wrong.

The accepted bid was modified before being signed and that seems a bit illegal even though in this case it is a benefit.

In the future could they change it behind closed doors before the signing to be detriment to us all.

Maybe, I'm out in left field - though it does seem strange.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
I'll believe them when they follow through. Until then...

I did get an email response from my State Senator (Fillmore) that he and several others are moving in the direction of asking the Legislative Auditor to look into things. If everything is on on the up and up, then SFW should have no problems, right?

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
They should have no problem proving where every cent of that $6 million plus goes....Right?

Reactions: Groganite

·
Registered
6,307 Posts
"This commitment to utilize 100% of the application fee revenue to support Utah Conservation Initiatives included in the contract that SFW recently signed with the State to distribute expo permits from 2017 to 2021. We will annually disclose how these funds are utilized to benefit Utah wildlife."

Here's how I read it. SFW retains 100% of the application fees, and uses it for conservation initiatives. THEY (SFW) will annually disclose how these funds are utilized. Shouldn't the DWR keep 100% of the funds and utilize it how they see fit?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We really need to see the contract that was signed between the DWR and SFW to really understand what was agreed to and what was not.

Hawkeye

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Hawkeye. Agree Agree, Unless I read the article bass ackwards. the DWR got 1.50 out of each 5.00 application? Why thats a Bargain?? Don't Blink Folks.

·
Registered
358 Posts
If that was a part of the contract, they would have happily agreed to be interviewed on KUTV. If the contract actually contains that provision, you can safely assume the contract was amended behind closed doors. That may violate Utah RFP laws. It certainly isn't ethical contracting.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I think the real question is how will they disclose the expenditures. Will they be listed as a vague line of "wildlife communication" = lobbying or perhaps "mission accomplishment" = hunting trips for politicians supportive of restrictions stream access.

It is easy to put out this statement but I am skeptical of any real transparency.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
Reading through both SFW and MDFs articles, the pressure is on.....KEEP IT THERE!

·
Registered
801 Posts
I'll believe them when they follow through. Until then...
That's what I was thinking. Sounds like a statement to calm their troubled members. Jon Larson was interviewed by the Channel 2 morning show when the expo started, and he said the money was all going to conservation. When asked why they are donating so much to wildlife, he said, "Somebody's got to do it".

I highly doubt they are going to use 100% of those funds for legitimate conservation projects. They have always done the bare minimum and they stated in their proposal that they intend to continue doing so. Without an audit their promises are useless.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts