Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!
I moved up here last year and this is my first year hunting the Cache unit. I'm jazzed to have a muzzle loader tag. From what I can gather it seems like there is enough public land in Logan, Prov, and Millville canyons. Since the unit is quite big, I am wondering where would be a good place to start scouting. I have been out a few times and haven't seen too much. I am assuming the deer will be pretty high still in late september unless we have a cold snowy fall. Anybody have any pointers for a newbie to the area? My first thoughts are to stick close to home since I live about 1/4 mile from the mouth of Prov canyon. Has that part of the area put out decent bucks historically?
Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am sure that Providence and Millville Canyons are in the Cache unit. Just not sure if those canyons have produced any large muley's...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Cache in general can produce some nice bucks but it wont be easy get up high and start scouting

·
Registered
133 Posts
I hunted Millville a few years ago one morning an didn't see much other than other hunters. I would get high if I was hunting prov or Millville canyons.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mavis. I tend to find the biggest bucks in town too... too bad I don't have one of those City limits archery tags... ;) There is a ton of country on the faces of millvill, prov all the way down to logan canyon, but its not very accessible. Have the faces been good places historically? I don't mind hiking, I am just looking for some general areas that have held some decent deer in the past.

·
Registered
811 Posts
There's certainly deer on those faces but they are steep. They are a good option for an after work hunt. Check out the walk in access areas on the DWR's site.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Mavis. I tend to find the biggest bucks in town too... too bad I don't have one of those City limits archery tags... ;) There is a ton of country on the faces of millvill, prov all the way down to logan canyon, but its not very accessible. Have the faces been good places historically? I don't mind hiking, I am just looking for some general areas that have held some decent deer in the past.
Agreed, those faces are STEEP!! I chased elk on those during a late cow elk hunt. My buddy filled his muzzy tag after work one evening by driving Blacksmith fork road and watching for deer on the north side of the road. It worked out for a quick hunt with limited time.

There are some great bucks in the Cache unit- you just need to get away from some people.

·
JMgardner
418 Posts
Hey cachemilli, when does the muzzy hunt go? You may not believe me but I'm betting I can put you on a shooter super easy, that I never just could quite close the deal on archery wise. Only stipulation is I'd like to tag along. I'll even help pack it out. Pm me if you're interested

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Hey cachemilli, when does the muzzy hunt go? You may not believe me but I'm betting I can put you on a shooter super easy, that I never just could quite close the deal on archery wise. Only stipulation is I'd like to tag along. I'll even help pack it out. Pm me if you're interested
That's one heck of an offer! Way to go JMG.

·
JMgardner
418 Posts
Well I was wishing 110 Yds of this group of bucks 5 times. But the closest I ever got was 65 and was drawing as one spooked. But i like to be helpful and I like being part of a hunt whether I pull the trigger or not. I'd really like to see someone get one of these deer

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sent you a PM. That really is one heck of an offer. Its a short hunt, but if you can get within 200 we should be able to bring it down.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts