Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all new member on forum. Just drew my first cow elk tag for the oquirrh-stansbury hunt. New advice of where these hang out have been scouting area a little and seen nothing but bulls go figure any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Aim real good.

That will be the best advise you will reseve, in that you will find them and they will give you a shot. Also, make sure you have at least three sleds and three people to pull out your quarry.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The thing to remember about elk in general is that generally they move a lot. If you're not seeing them, then be prepared to be mobile. Elk leave a lot of sign, especially herds of cows in the winter. Elk in the winter are also easy to see if you are patient. An animal which is that large needs to constantly fulfill nutritional requirements and given the restricted availability of suitable forage in winter they must be feeding and moving constantly. Look for them on south facing slopes that seem to be barren of snow and be sure to glass meticulously because many of the open patches of grass where they like to feed and bed are quite blonde and can easily conceal bedded elk. Take your time, study the wind, don't be afraid to back off until the wind changes and plan a good stalk. And in the last moment when your just about to pull the trigger if you and you don't have an ATV run over your legs you will have a great winter's worth of some of the best tasting meat imaginable. Also try not to shoot what some people call a long -face cow. You will know what I am talking about. So much is made of how big bull elk can be, however some older cow elk can become absolutely huge, and the meat can run tough. Try to shoot about a two-year old dry- cow ( a cow without a calf ) , which will also be the best eating and you will also be able to avert one of the least pleasing of all big - game hunting experiences which is a calf or a fawn hanging around calling for it's mother while field butchering ensues. I have heard that it severely dampens what is otherwise an exciting and fulfilling period of time. Good- Luck!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts