Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Originally from Louisiana and grew up a whitetail hunter. Plenty of experience there along with hog and some duck hunting. Also done some turkey hunting with my brother in KY. Doing some Turkey hunting now over in snow basin area. Different game around here. Found out people on public land around here are not as courteous as back home though.

First time elk hunting also will be this year. May do mule deer if I draw but not really interested in it honestly.

Hoping to get some advice and info here. I’d be willing to help you out even if you don’t really reciprocate ie: tag along to help pack meat out etc.

Live in the Clearfield area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Welcome!

Clearfield is a great place to live for a duck hunter. Feel free to send me a message or post in the waterfowl section if you have questions on that.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Originally from Louisiana and grew up a whitetail hunter. Plenty of experience there along with hog and some duck hunting. Also done some turkey hunting with my brother in KY. Doing some Turkey hunting now over in snow basin area. Different game around here. Found out people on public land around here are not as courteous as back home though.

First time elk hunting also will be this year. May do mule deer if I draw but not really interested in it honestly.

Hoping to get some advice and info here. I'd be willing to help you out even if you don't really reciprocate ie: tag along to help pack meat out etc.

Live in the Clearfield area.

Welcome to Utah, and to the forum! You mentioned something interesting. I did a whitetail hunt in Kansas a few years ago. We stopped in a local store for some supplies, and got talking hunting. I couldn't believe how nice and welcoming they were. Was a 180 compared to here. Told us where they'd seen some nice deer in the past day or two, among many other things.

Good luck. Lots of good dudes on here.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Welcome to Utah, and to the forum! You mentioned something interesting. I did a whitetail hunt in Kansas a few years ago. We stopped in a local store for some supplies, and got talking hunting. I couldn't believe how nice and welcoming they were. Was a 180 compared to here. Told us where they'd seen some nice deer in the past day or two, among many other things.

Good luck. Lots of good dudes on here.
Yea if we typically walked up on someone and hadn't busted them or were warned somehow they were around or we were coming up on them, we backed out and found somewhere else as a courtesy. Here, second hunt out, had someone intentionally walk thru my setup and screw up the bird I was working. He saw me. Didn't care.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Yea if we typically walked up on someone and hadn't busted them or were warned somehow they were around or we were coming up on them, we backed out and found somewhere else as a courtesy. Here, second hunt out, had someone intentionally walk thru my setup and screw up the bird I was working. He saw me. Didn't care.

Quite a few Utah hunters get pretty jealous around here. If they cant have it then no body can kind of thing.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Also from Louisiana. I'm a late onset adult hunter and have only done one elk hunt (with a buddy from LA). Good luck in learning western hunting. I'm still trying to figure it out, but I love it.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also from Louisiana. I'm a late onset adult hunter and have only done one elk hunt (with a buddy from LA). Good luck in learning western hunting. I'm still trying to figure it out, but I love it.
I have met a few people on other forums from here that I will be doing some hunting with come elk season. Figured I can learn some things from them and in return help pack in/out things or anyway I can. What part of LA were/are you from?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the welcome everyone. Hope to possibly meet some of you in person also.

·
Premium Member
11,689 Posts
Welcome to UTAH and to the forum.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Welcome to the forum and the state. It can be pretty hit or miss on how you are treated when you run into other hunters here in Utah buy we aren't all bad apples.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
21,330 Posts
Welcome to the Forum and good luck!

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Found out people on public land around here are not as courteous as back home though.
I'm not making any excuses for anyone, and this is just a guess, but if folks were rude, you may have stepped into some place, or a camp, some family has traditionally used for years.

I'm not originally from Utah, but my wife is, and part of my extended family here has a long hunting tradition. They've camped in the same spot for probably decades; and they've been working the same area come elk season for about as long. The quickest way to chap their hide, is someone taking the camp they've traditionally used, or someone walking directly under or near one of their many tree stands. They may not be outright mean about it, but whomever took their camp, or strolled through their hunting areas won't have much in the way brownie points with them.

Right now, (and this is just my opinion) tradition, is clashing with a lot of people moving into Utah, and the changes a higher population of people brings. It seem's we are seeing people move in mainly from California, Washington, and Oregon. I suspect they've been attracted here because of Silicon slopes. Were it not for silicon slopes, we probably wouldn't have this large influx of people moving into the state, and all the problems unrestrained growth brings. In particular these last 4-5 years it's been really bad, from filled trailer camps, to higher taxes.

I'll tell ya straight, every family has their spot, and they'll park their trailers on it way in advance to get it. I have done it myself, playing musical trailers. One family member pulls their trailer in, and someone else from the family swaps it in a couple weeks with another trailer. It gets really bad before the archery hunt. I've helped my family make sure they get their camp, playing musical trailers at, or over a month in advance. Most of the time I'm hunting solo and I move around a lot, so I don't have any one spot I'm partial to. However if my wife and daughter are coming, I'll park my trailer a week before opening day if the opportunity presents itself.

Things weren't this bad 4-5 years ago, you'd almost be guaranteed to get your spot, but not so much anymore. I'm not blaming you as a newcomer, nor pointing fingers, just telling you how it is, or at least, it's how i've seen it.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm not making any excuses for anyone, and this is just a guess, but if folks were rude, you may have stepped into some place, or a camp, some family has traditionally used for years.

I'm not originally from Utah, but my wife is, and part of my extended family here has a long hunting tradition. They've camped in the same spot for probably decades; and they've been working the same area come elk season for about as long. The quickest way to chap their hide, is someone taking the camp they've traditionally used, or someone walking directly under or near one of their many tree stands. They may not be outright mean about it, but whomever took their camp, or strolled through their hunting areas won't have much in the way brownie points with them.

Right now, (and this is just my opinion) tradition, is clashing with a lot of people moving into Utah, and the changes a higher population of people brings. It seem's we are seeing people move in mainly from California, Washington, and Oregon. I suspect they've been attracted here because of Silicon slopes. Were it not for silicon slopes, we probably wouldn't have this large influx of people moving into the state, and all the problems unrestrained growth brings. In particular these last 4-5 years it's been really bad, from filled trailer camps, to higher taxes.

I'll tell ya straight, every family has their spot, and they'll park their trailers on it way in advance to get it. I have done it myself, playing musical trailers. One family member pulls their trailer in, and someone else from the family swaps it in a couple weeks with another trailer. It gets really bad before the archery hunt. I've helped my family make sure they get their camp, playing musical trailers at, or over a month in advance. Most of the time I'm hunting solo and I move around a lot, so I don't have any one spot I'm partial to. However if my wife and daughter are coming, I'll park my trailer a week before opening day if the opportunity presents itself.

Things weren't this bad 4-5 years ago, you'd almost be guaranteed to get your spot, but not so much anymore. I'm not blaming you as a newcomer, nor pointing fingers, just telling you how it is, or at least, it's how i've seen it.
I understand your line of thinking but it's public land and no one owns a spot. I wasn't camped anywhere either. I tent camp and usually not at the trailhead or common grounds. I was setup hunting working a Tom for an hour when another hunter deliberately walked thru my setup towards the Tom I was working. He saw me as I made myself known.

I agree on the rest. I was looking to move here 5-6 years ago and home prices were way lower. They were actually reasonable. Now a lot of them are ridiculously priced. And land is a joke in town. We are renting for a while just to save up money and have a reasonable note.

It's all worth it though as we love it here. We are really enjoying what this region of the country has to offer our family.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Hunters are their own worst enemy sometimes. All you can do is smile and go about your business.

Outdoor recreation is a huge draw for people in Utah and people coming to Utah. Generally the farther from the front the less people you have to deal with but if you need to blame something for the crowding, blame the internet.

Too bad we can't keep all those pesky problems confined to Salt Lake and Utah county.

Enjoy your time and you will eventually get things figured out.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts