Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am active duty military (Army) that recently moved to Utah. I am going on the general season bull elk, any legal weapon. I am not new to elk hunting and have harvested several over the years. I am just looking for suggestions where to hunt and begin my scouting before the general bull elk season. Please let know know where I might have a reasonable chance for success. I am not a trophy hunter. I just want some meat and love of the outdoors. Thanks.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Welcome to Utah.

I would say most of the best units are a "spike" only unit due to the many Limited Entry units across the state. These units are hunted pretty hard through the LE hunts, and then into the spike hunts. It's not impossible to get one, but the spikes are tougher to come by than the larger bulls you might see. The general "any" bull units are tough units to hunt as many are surrounded by private property, and have a ton of hunters. Like anything, if you can find a place that you can get off and away from the road, you'll get away from most of the hunters. If your looking for meat, I suggest putting in for the "antlerless" elk hunt at your next opportunity, which is unfortunately not until next June. There is likely some remaining tags, but mostly in units with a ton of private ground.

I would take a look at the maps on this link and decide what looks decent to you and start scouting when you are able. As you know, one of the biggest tricks to hunting is being familiar with your area you choose to hunt... See link below. Good luck!

http://utahdnr.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Viewer/index.html?appid=2e346210e2074049a46afa35b2359063

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Pick an area you know you will have time to hunt and strap on some hiking boots, learn the area early and the habits of the elk, then go shoot one. That's a great way to get started.

Those of us who have already put in the time and effort aren't just going to tell you where to go, as indicated in many of the 'I need to know where to go shoot an elk' threads on this forum, even less so to those who come on here with the sole purpose of just asking where to go and have few to no posts.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Welcome to UT Billy. If you're not a trophy hunter, I would look at the units where you can buy a "control" cow elk tag. With both a bull and cow tag in your pocket, you're only out $80. There are 12 of them ( I tried to copy/paste them for you, but my phone is having none of it). Read up on the regs and that would be a good option for you.

It's true that no one wants to divulge secrets learned the hard way, but here's a hint - there are good numbers of elk along the Wasatch Front from Springville to Logan. Pick an area you like and go for it!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Unlike LE hunts, many of us hunt the same areas every year for any bull hunts. I would recommend either picking an area near you and learning everything about it or buying a spike or cow tag. Either way you will likely run into a lot of people and will have to work hard to get your elk.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Welcome to UT Billy. If you're not a trophy hunter, I would look at the units where you can buy a "control" cow elk tag. With both a bull and cow tag in your pocket, you're only out $80. There are 12 of them ( I tried to copy/paste them for you, but my phone is having none of it). Read up on the regs and that would be a good option for you.

It's true that no one wants to divulge secrets learned the hard way, but here's a hint - there are good numbers of elk along the Wasatch Front from Springville to Logan. Pick an area you like and go for it!
Yup, tons of elk between Parley's and I-84 if you don't mind a bit of hiking. I know of a few guys with limited time off who hunt this area after work and on the weekends.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Unlike LE hunts, many of us hunt the same areas every year for any bull hunts. I would recommend either picking an area near you and learning everything about it or buying a spike or cow tag. Either way you will likely run into a lot of people and will have to work hard to get your elk.
It took 3 seasons of hunting the same area before I filled my tags, but the learning and exercise plus time with friends is worth more than filling the tag in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Keep in mind that this site sees some pretty heavy traffic from the locals. With about 90% of Utah's population living from Logan to Payson, anyone who posts nearby spots on the internet runs the risk of attracting rapacious ******* hordes. You really don't want anyone to tell you a spot to go to on a public forum, because unless you drop everything you're doing and drive there the minute you read about it, there will be cans from 6 cases of PBR and Keystone Light strewn around and some idiot doing target practice with his .38 while waiting for the animals to come down and get shot next to his game bag. Getting info in a PM generally means they're giving you a spot that they don't go to anymore because it's a little played out.

Your best bet is to find general info on good areas, put on a good pair of boots and hike until your blisters turn into calluses. These maps will give you a good starting point:

http://dwrapps.utah.gov/ram/start2

http://wildlife.utah.gov/hunting-in-utah/hunt-boundary-maps.html

http://mapserv.utah.gov/Wildlife/

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I appreciate all the help. I apologize if I was just asking "where to go kill an elk". I was mainly looking for suggestions for one of the general any bull areas that possibly had more public land than the others and also has elk. As soon as I got that suggestion, then I am all about the "lacing up the hiking boots" and doing the hard work and scouting ahead of time. That is actually the fun stuff for me. I have been pouring over the maps online and have a couple of areas I am going to look at. Thanks again.

Lastly, if there is anyone that is hunting alone and really doesn't want to, hit me up.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Good luck on your search for Bulls! I hope you find some good ones. It'll be hard but you'll have fun!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Yeah, I'm sure no one thinks you're lazy or a freeloader, but that's beside the point anyway. Actual lazy freeloaders will capitalize on information that's disclosed and ruin it for both you and everyone else. Sent you a PM for a little trick you can use to glean info from the site, if you didn't already know it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts