Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gotta wonder how many new UWN members we are gonna see here this week?? What say you guys? Not that it really bugs me, this is more of a friendly wager than any thing.. You all know the ones.

"Hi guys... New to the forum!! I just drew such n such tag and haven't ever been there, but hoping for some hints and help from people who have put their time in or have helped others before hand."

I have a fresh crisp $5 bill for the first correct guess if we can have a mod keep count of how many new members join this week, or how many "hi guys.. new to the forum" threads pop up.

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
:grouphug:Lets all play nice to the new kids.:cool:

Reactions: Jmgardner

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
Should wait until the end of the month. (two weeks).
Not everyone is anal about checking their card statement every hour.:mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
11,689 Posts
on the left side of every screen it gives a member count currently at 10,300...

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No hazing is involved here!! Heck, I was in the same boat at one time and people helped me. I have helped lots of other people too. This was just intended to be a friendly wager of just how many. I enjoy seeing all the new guys getting their tags and see how they do by years end. :D

·
Premium Member
2,327 Posts
No hazing is involved here!! Heck, I was in the same boat at one time and people helped me. I have helped lots of other people too. This was just intended to be a friendly wager of just how many. I enjoy seeing all the new guys getting their tags and see how they do by years end. :D
Ok, I'll go 37 by June 5th :mrgreen: New blood is always a good thing!

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
I'm just more disappointed in people's networking and marketing skills. If I were to sign up just for help, I would wait a month and comment and make it look like I wasn't here just for info. You'd get more info that way.

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
I for one welcome all first time posters and I try to help anyone I can no matter how many posts they may have.
But I'm shocked by the amount of people that will not contact me after I give them my phone number.
It's like, if they can't get the information right away through the first post or PM, then it's too much effort to give a guy a phone call.
Their loss I guess.

·
Registered
854 Posts
You should have waited until about a week or 2 before the hunts start to post this. That's when all the new members join. No one had time to scout the area they're hunting and have never stepped foot in it. We all live in the mountains, so what better place to come for some info! :cool: In all seriousness, I don't mind it to much either. I just wish they would at least post up some success or failure stories they don't even have to stick around I just want to know the outcome! I have pm'd some newbies info and asked them how it went and never got a response so I am a little hesitant sometimes.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I for one am greatly appreciative of the help I have received from members on various boards like this one, I try to help out when I can in return, I have only been a member for a short time but I have already been helped out by a member of this board, and that was even before I drew a tag! Good luck to all, and even if some people are not appreciative, keep helping if you can for those of us that are very appreciative!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Glad I read this thread before my first post here! ;-) Yes I drew-never hunted Utah, luckily I have friends in elevated places and have a general idea of how/where to hunt my unit! Lurked here for a while and enjoyed the info I've read. Looking forward to contributing a little in the future! Cheers from Ohio!:mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
This thread doesn't seem chummy enough for UWN. Clearly some jabs and certainly some hurtful comments have been said to prospective members. You know the drill-> SHUT IT DOWN!!!!! ;-)

·
Registered
230 Posts
I am guilty of joining, didn't even know about the site. Fished and hunted southern Utah for 30 years, but have stuck around because I like it and even tried to post information, load recipes, etc. I visit this forum as much as others and I live in another state. Guess we all have to start somewhere.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We've all been there Bob... I said myself I started out too. The Internet is but a minuscule source of info I try to use for my hunts, but I do use it. I use all the avenues I can. Glad you stuck around and gave back. I've swapped help for help countless times.

Don't think any jabs are being thrown other that wishing people would share their success stories, pics, thank some guys that helped, and maybe be willing to help out the next round of guys. ;-)

·
Registered
262 Posts
So exactly how do we determine when some "newby" is worthy of our all powerful information? Is it after they have been a member for a certain amount of time, or do they have to reach a certain number of posts? I am sure there are plenty of new or prospective members that would like to know the criteria... Someone, please shed some light on this subject for me...

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
So exactly how do we determine when some "newby" is worthy of our all powerful information? Is it after they have been a member for a certain amount of time, or do they have to reach a certain number of posts? I am sure there are plenty of new or prospective members that would like to know the criteria... Someone, please shed some light on this subject for me...
The problem is with lurkers coming along, sucking up the info and showing up to your spot with a 30 pack of 'stones and 6 boxes of 30-06 ammo with the full intention of using both up completely to get one deer. Not to mention having no problem wounding half the herd to get there. Maybe polite general advice on the forum, and then specifics via PM? Speaking as a new guy, I feel kinda bad when I fail to capitalize on someone's advice and then don't want to say anything. I imagine that's why they sometimes don't respond.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
well one benchmark would be that they have read every single post from the original 1 eye thread.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts