Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am wanting to try out fly fishing. I tried it this week with a buddies pole and it was a great time. So I am wanting to get my own, but not pay out the nose. I ran across this a few days ago (it was $150 last night, $170 today. :( )

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fish...s/_/N-1104843/Ns-MIN_SALE_PRICE?WTz_stype=GNU

What are your thoughts? Seems to come with everything I would need to get started. Also, what size and weight would your recommend?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I had a roommate that got that or a similar set up a few years back. The only thing I would caution you about is the stuff it comes with. The pack will hold stuff but it's cheaply made and uncomfortable; a small backpack would serve you better. The flies were very general and more than half were not useful for the water he fished; twelve bucks at cabela's, SW, or any fly shop would be money much better spent. As for the other stuff, the line straightener was worthless, the leader was cheap but got the job done, and most of the other components were average.

To me the bottom line is the rod and reel are great for a beginner, but then any rod and reel will do for beginners; I used a no name walmart special when I started and caught plenty of fish. I'd go with the setup greenfletchings posted up or something similar and buy the other stuff piecemeal as you see fit.

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
Let me ask you this. Where do you intend to fish the most as you begin this journey? That can help us make a recommendation for you.

I would second what willfish had to say though - don't be sold on all the "extra" stuff. Spend that money on a a better rod and better line. I do really like the Wind River reel. It really balances well on the rod I bought it for.

But tell us where you will be fishing the most, and we can help you more.

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
Assuming you'll be fishing medium rivers like the Provo or Weber, a 8 1/2 foot to 9 foot, in about a 5 or 6 weight, with a medium to medium/fast action would be decent.

I've personally not cast the Prestige - just handled it in the store. The balance just seems a bit clunky to me. The Wind River has a better balance. But better yet, is the Traditional III. After handling them all in the store, that is my most recent fly rod purchase (minus the two cool little split cane rods I just picked up off eBay but that is another story.) Anyway, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the way the Traditional casts. It is better balanced and is really a nice rod for the medium sized rivers you're probably fishing. It really fishes nice and is my new favorite rod. I got a 9' 5 weight, 4 piece, and matched it with a Wind River 1 reel, and then spent $50 for a WF-F line. Here is the link to the combo at Cabelas.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fish.../Ne-1000002949?WTz_st=GuidedNav&WTz_stype=GNU

Now that said, willfish4food nailed it for a beginner. When you are beginning, you can fish pretty much anything. I started on a K-Mart 8' fiberglass rod that fished like a broom stick. I was in 7th heaven when I upgraded to a 8 1/2 foot 5/6 Eagle Claw combo I bought for $39, and for five days in 1998, the fish on the Henry's Fork didn't know I wasn't using an $800 Sage. Several years ago I found myself down in Richfield on my birthday on a business trip, didn't have any of my fly rods, and really wanted to go fishing. So I bought a $39 combo at K-Mart and it fishes just fine on small streams. I still even fish it every now and then even though I have much "better" and more expensive rods. Funny how all that goes.

·
Registered
565 Posts
The thing with fly rods is that if you never try expensive rods, you'll never know what you're missing. I bought a $50 9 ft. 5 wt. W.W. Griggs rod on sale about 8 years ago and never looked back. I have caught thousands of fish on it (everything from white bass to steelhead) and like it just fine. I also picked up a 4 wt. Redington at a pawn shop a while back for super cheap. I'm sure if I tried a "nice" rod, I would quickly recognize the flaws of my cheap rods, but until then, I'm content to be ignorant and blissful.

I agree with Gary. Something around a 9 ft. 5 wt. will probably be an all-around good rod for you.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome. Thanks for the info guys! I will have to go in and check out the suggested Rods and Reels.

As far as piece-mealing together my own setup, what is all the gear I will need to pick up?

I know I will need the following:
1- Rod
2- Reel
3- Floating Fly Line
4- Leaders (what size?)
5- Tippet (again, what size?)
6- Flies
7- Fly Floatant
8- Case

Anything I am missing?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Administrator
21,449 Posts
Awesome. Thanks for the info guys! I will have to go in and check out the suggested Rods and Reels.

As far as piece-mealing together my own setup, what is all the gear I will need to pick up?

1- Rod
2- Reel
3- Floating Fly Line
4- Leaders (what size?)
5- Tippet (again, what size?)
6- Flies
7- Fly Floatant
8- Case

Anything I am missing?
If yer gonna fish the Provo I would add a net and an axe handle to your list.

Reactions: sawsman

·
Administrator
21,449 Posts
uhh...do I seem snarkey lately?

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
1- Rod
2- Reel
3- Floating Fly Line
Sounds like you have those solved already.

4- Leaders (what size?) - I usually get a tapered leader - tapering down to 5x, usually 7 1/2 to feet in length.

5- Tippet (again, what size?) - Get three spools - 4x, 5x, and 6x and if you really want, get some 7x. But as a beginner, I'd stick with 5x most of the time.

6- Flies - Depends really on when you'll be fishing. But some standards for the Provo River chamois caddis, pheasant tails, scuds, wd40, copper johns, griffeths gnats, blue wing olives, adams, parachute adams, elk hair caddis, a couple of woolly buggers. Local fly shops will have a list of current bugs, but don't feel like you have to have every single fly. Fishing a size 14 pheasant tail with a size 18 copper john dropper will catch fish most of the year.

7- Fly Floatant - Get some.

8- Case - Nice but not necessary.

Get some strike indicators, a pair of forceps, small pair of scissors for dressing flies, and a pair of fingernail clippers.

Reactions: willfish4food

·
Administrator
21,449 Posts
Well I went in last night and walked out with this set up:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fish...uts?destination=/catalog/browse.cmd?N=1104843

Nice reel, good rod, and it came with the backing, line and leader. Oh and the rod and reel have a 10 year warranty.

I am very pleased with it. Hopefully I will remain pleased with it when I get to take it out. Thanks for all the help guys!
That's really good deal. There were several combo choices. Did you get the 9 foot 5 weight?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts

1- Rod - What you got looks great. 1000 x nicer that what I started with.

2- Reel - Again, you got a great looking reel, my first reel didn't even have a drag system. This should serve you well for many years.

3- Floating Fly Line - Not sure how your line will cast, typically what comes on the reel is good enough, especially for beginners. It's a weight forward line so that should help with your casting. Like Polarbear said, even if it's not the best line you won't know any better at first so just enjoy it.

4- Leaders (what size?) - I use a nine foot leader tapered down to 5x, but a 7 1/2 foot is probably easier to handle. Not sure why I use a 9 foot; that's just how I've always done it. If you get them in 3 packs they're usually cheaper per leader and when you're starting off, until you get your timing down, you will tie a lot of wind knots in you line so having a few extra leaders is not a bad thing. If I know I'll be nymphing the whole time and I'm not feeling lazy, I'll switch out the tapered leader for a hand tied leader of 12 lb mono (5ft) followed by 6 lb fluorocarbon (3ft) because I don't feel like the taper is as important for nymphing and tapered leaders are expensive.

5- Tippet (again, what size?) - I have 4x, 5x, 6x and 7x. I use 5x 95 percent of the time on the Provo. I've used 6x a couple of times and 7x once that I can recall. 4x on a 5x taper leader doesn't make any sense so if you're getting 5x tapers you'll only use 4x to extend the life of your leader when it's been trimmed A LOT. I also use 4x on the end of my hand tied mono leaders.

6- Flies - I used sow bugs and some form of midge 80% of the time when nymphing on the Provo. Caddis larve, pheasant tails, hare's ears, scuds are also all good options. For dries BWO, adams, quill gordans, or just a size 20 or smaller midge all in traditional or parachute, griffiths gnats in single and double. Most flies I used were 18s or smaller, but in the summer 16s and even 14s found their way to the wet end of my line.

7- Fly Floatant - Yes for your dry flies and if you're using a yarn type indicator. Not sure if one brand is really that much better than another. I use gink cause that's what my grandpa used.

8- Case - Get one for your dries and one for your wets. Sportsman's used to have dollar Plano style boxes that are good enough. The fancy cases with the notched foam are nice. I've got a couple, but they're expensive and unnecessary.

Anything I am missing?
Forceps and some kind of line cutter like nail clipper are a must. A rubber or rubber coated net is really nice to have but not absolutely necessary. If you're going to fish with indicators I recommend thingamabobbers. They're really easy to cast in wind, but I've used a lot of the yarn style indicators as well. Polarized sunglasses for seeing fishies; I use $5 walmart specials and have never been mad when they get lost or broken.

Oh and butter, herbs, tinfoil, and fire to cook your fish stream side. :EAT:
I think others have covered your questions pretty well, but I gave my 2 cents above in blue.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's really good deal. There were several combo choices. Did you get the 9 foot 5 weight?

Yes I did get the 9 ft 5 wt. Got to play with it in the backyard this weekend while taking a break from some house chores. I love it! Can't wait to try it on some water this week!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts