Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I didn't draw on my antlerless cow tag. But I there are unlimited control tags for this unit. Is it just me or is that kinda silly? I will buy the control tag but I will have to use archery which I am ok with, but sometimes it is just nice to use my rifle when you want the meat. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
harvest percentage differs significantly between rifle and bow. plus you can have more bow hunters per square mile than rifle hunters. economically it makes sense. dwr gets paid the same for more hunters with less chance of harvest. makes sense to me.

·
Registered
854 Posts
harvest percentage differs significantly between rifle and bow. plus you can have more bow hunters per square mile than rifle hunters. economically it makes sense. dwr gets paid the same for more hunters with less chance of harvest. makes sense to me.
They have unlimited amount of any weapon control permits as well as long as you have a buck deer-elk permit to go with it. Straight from the guidebook

Elk-control permits available

Utah Admin. Rule R657-5-33
During the 2014 season, the Division wants hunters to harvest as many antlerless elk as possible from 12 of Utah's hunting units:

Chalk Creek
East Canyon
Henry Mtns (elk and desert bighorn)
Morgan-South Rich
Nine Mile, Range Creek
Ogden
San Juan, East of US-191
San Rafael, North
South Slope, Yellowstone
Wasatch Mtns
Wasatch Mtns, Avintaquin/Currant Creek
Wasatch Mtns, West
If you obtained a permit (including general season) to harvest a buck, bull or once-in-a-lifetime species on any of the above units (not including CWMUs), you have the option of purchasing an antlerless elk-control permit.

The elk-control permit allows you to harvest an antlerless elk in the same unit where you'll already be hunting an antlered big game animal. You may hunt the antlerless elk only during the season dates-and with the same weapon-listed on your buck, bull or once-in-a-lifetime permit.

If you will be hunting buck deer and antlerless elk at the same time, please visit wildlife.utah.gov/maps to verify your boundaries for the elk portion of the hunt. You may only hunt antlerless elk on certain areas within the following buck deer units:

Central Mtns, Manti/San Rafael (see the San Rafael, North antlerless elk map for the area you may hunt)
Nine Mile (see the Nine Mile, Range Creek antlerless elk map for the area you may hunt)
San Juan, Abajo Mtns (see the San Juan, East of US-191 antlerless elk map for the area you may hunt)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree. But what if I buy a rifle any bull tag? That means I will still get a rifle cow tag. Like I said, it just seems silly to not let someone draw a tag but if they buy a rifle bull tag they can still get the cow tag and even at a cheaper cost.

I use archery because of the longer season. Gives me something to do all the way to December. I appreciate the no limit archery tags but it seems a little crazy to let tons of rifle hunters to just have at it with the cows. How do they regulate the amount of cows getting taken off the mountain? I don't know of any elk herds that can have just unlimited rifle tags after them. Dunno, I may be off but it just seems a little greedy and a good way to ruin a herd.

·
Registered
87 Posts
"You may hunt the antlerless elk only during the season dates"
Compared to the long and late seasons of the antlerless tags, it's very little time to hunt, and there are a lot of people out.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I drew an antlerless tag for my dedicated hunter unit and I will be buying a an antlerless archery OTC tag. It looks like I will be hunting elk quite a bit this year! I also think most people buy the control tags as a just in case type of thing and most don't pursue the elk unless they get a deer down early.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
How do they regulate the amount of cows getting taken off the mountain? I don't know of any elk herds that can have just unlimited rifle tags after them. Dunno, I may be off but it just seems a little greedy and a good way to ruin a herd.
This has been debated on this site ad nauseum for the Wasatch unit. There are opinions all over the place on it. Some love it, some hate it, some say they see more elk these days, other's say they see less. It would seem agreement is hard to come by w/r/t the control tags on some units.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
How do they regulate the amount of cows getting taken off the mountain? I don't know of any elk herds that can have just unlimited rifle tags after them. Dunno, I may be off but it just seems a little greedy and a good way to ruin a herd.
This has been debated on this site ad nauseum for the Wasatch unit. There are opinions all over the place on it. Some love it, some hate it, some say they see more elk these days, other's say they see less. It would seem agreement is hard to come by w/r/t the control tags on some units.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I just looked through the guide book and couldn't find how much these control permits cost. Anyone know?

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
OTC bull is $50 and OTC antlerless/cow is $30, but the cow tag accompanies any antlered tag in your posession for it's specified season dates. This means if you have an extended archery buck tag you can harvest a cow anytime during those dates, pretty straightforward and seems your odds are better than hunting the general bull rifle season, especially if it actually snows and pushes them down lower.

I see no real fault in it, in most areas the herd scatters after the first few hours of the general rifle season and they smarten up not to be seen until the pressure is off them, then they relax and let their guard down a bit for the extended archery.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thanks guys. So if I shoot my buck during the general archery hunt can I hunt cows during the extended archery still? Sorry again, couldn't find it in the guide book... I'm assuming I can though

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Thanks guys. So if I shoot my buck during the general archery hunt can I hunt cows during the extended archery still? Sorry again, couldn't find it in the guide book... I'm assuming I can though
Yes, it accompanies the antlered tag in your posession, thus during the same dates of said tag.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thanks for the help. I think I'll snag one of those tags then!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts