Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made the trek up to one of my favorite places today to try and knock one of those big white birds down and maybe some ducks. Got there and started lugging the 2 dozen duck decoys out and my other stuff and a group of people beat me to my trusty spot for swans but that's okay they were their first so i went and found a new spot and set up. The ducks were mostly all high flyers due to the weather being to good and all the other people around I did end up missing one widgeon that buzzed my decoys but that's the only duck action I got all day. The swans started moving once it started to get warmer and even with all the people set up 200 yards in front of me I still had flocks come over me but I guess I wasn't eager to shoot because I watched them fly right over me and the closest one to me was a juvenile swan and i was waiting for a mature one for when I decided to pull the trigger. About 11:30 everything was dead when I looked up and could hear them and see them coming right for me. There was three of them and after they got closer I could tell they were mature so I pulled up on one and hit him hard the first time but knew I was shooting a little behind him because I knocked about a pound of feathers out of his chest and it looked like a blizzard I hit him the next two shots as well and he keep flying!! I hate that feeling to because you know it's a dead bird and it's going to coast out a mile to where you can't get it but luckily I must have hit him hard enough because after the third shot he went 10 yards further and just dropped out of the air in mid flight, dead when he hit the water. I was very glad about that. easy retrieval and the hunt was over on. I always look forward to swan hunting and is one of the highlights of my year.

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
Nice, I know the weather is even nicer tomorrow but we're hoping to that very thing you did. Only I don't have a trusty swan spot.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice, I know the weather is even nicer tomorrow but we're hoping to that very thing you did. Only I don't have a trusty swan spot.
I'll be headed out again tomorrow as well I'm taking a couple guys who have never hunted swans before out so hopefully we can bag a few more.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'll be headed out again tomorrow as well I'm taking a couple guys who have never hunted swans before out so hopefully we can bag a few more.
Best of luck to y'all, I have never hunted them either but my son talked me into it this year and low and behold he drew out so here we go.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Best of luck to y'all, I have never hunted them either but my son talked me into it this year and low and behold he drew out so here we go.
Pm me if you would like some info I would be willing to help out anyway I could to get him a bird.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts