Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
No you’re not. Minutes from a RAC meeting are simply just that. For new laws and regs to be passed through this system, the Wildlife Board has to do it. They discussed the topic regionally (when it wasn’t even on the agenda or proposed) and that’s as far as it’s made it… for now.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
If I was listening correctly during the RAC motions portion, 2 RACs voted to prohibit variable scopes on muzzleloaders even though it was not on their agenda. The board didn’t even discuss the topic except for in passing, and did not vote on that issue. So no change, for now. (As moose said)

Out of the technology changes we’ve seen I’m guessing that’s the first to go, however. Stay tuned. You’ll see this officially on a board agenda before 2024, I’m guessing.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
It will take a bit before they get their "technology committee" formed. But once they do the sky is the limit.

What I will find interesting will be the logic behind any recommendations. It won't be saving herds.

·
Registered
10,565 Posts
I highly doubt they will ever fully ban scopes, too many old guys with bad eyes and alot of money to influcence that vote. Restricting power to a lower amount I could see possibly happening, say 4x or even 2x.

But worst case, my Remington has great open sights.

-DallanC

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I highly doubt they will ever fully ban scopes, too many old guys with bad eyes and alot of money to influcence that vote. Restricting power to a lower amount I could see possibly happening, say 4x or even 2x.

But worst case, my Remington has great open sights.

-DallanC
I wouldn’t bet on that. They seem pretty hell bent on restricting everyone except the rifle hunters and guides. Everyone else is slowly getting their equipment weeded out one meeting at a time.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
I wouldn’t bet on that. They seem pretty hell bent on restricting everyone except the rifle hunters and guides. Everyone else is slowly getting their equipment weeded out one meeting at a time.
Don't forget to add the Youth hunters to the list of "Not Restricting".

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
They let all of us put scopes on.
Then they ban them ??
Ya that's just about par for the course.

I waited for years to put one on my gun.
I was against them. But as I got older and my eyes went downhill, I finally figured, why not it's legal ?
I've been muzzle hunting since '84.
I bought a new muzzleloader this year and put one on it from the get go.
Well, peep sights do work quite well.

·
Administrator
10,500 Posts
If you can't see with open sights try a peep sight. If you want something more modern go to the SeeAll Sights web site and check out their delta sight.

The SeeAll delta sight is legal in Colorado

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
What I will find interesting will be the logic behind any recommendations. It won't be saving herds.
This is a narrative that needs to stop. Nobody, and I mean, NOBODY that has any clue thinks any of this is about “saving herds.” The wildlife board was very open about the trail cam discussion- it was not biological. It was all about hunters and what they want. It has nothing to do with herd health, and the decision makers have been clear about this. Trying to use a straw man on biology for this has got to stop. It’s nothing but a red herring, at very best.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
There is a ton of logic in restricting scope types on muzzleloaders. The muzzleloader hunt was never intended to let people kill animals at 600, even 800 yards. You want to do that, jump into the rifle pool and go let it fly.

But again, this is social not biological.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
A few years ago I had the pleasure of helping on a Muzzy elk tag. The hunter borrowed one of the new super duper muzzy's so he could shoot out to 500 yards just in case. We told him just make sure you can hit what you are aiming at at 40 yards. I think his bull he shot was at 42 yards. Crazy that people think they can't get closer.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Dang it. Just got a new scope on my MZ. Haven't even sighted it in yet.

Guess I better draw my LE Elk tag before they outlaw them.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
10,500 Posts
I can just hear the uproar now if the WB does anything to get rid of even variable power scopes.

Once they opened it up they should of realized how unpopular it would be if they shut it down or went back to 1x scopes.

If they go back they might as well ban pellets and saboted bullets as well.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I finally put a scope on my 'ol Knight MK 95 3 years ago. I shot my bull that year at under 100 yards.
Then in 20 I went muzzle deer and shot my deer at 85 yards.
I'm not looking for "long range shots" never have.
I tend to try to get too close if anything. I guess that's the 'ol bow hunter in me.
I won't be upset (aside from the money I spent).
I didn't think they should have been allowed to begin with. It is supposed to be a primative hunt.

·
Registered
10,565 Posts
I didn't think they should have been allowed to begin with. It is supposed to be a primative hunt.
Its never been defined as a primitive hunt. Neither is the archery hunt. The day they start putting restrictions on bows, we can talk about limiting muzzleloader or center fire weapons. I know alot of people who routinely kill deer with a compound bow at further ranges than most of my ML deer are killed at.

Seems we have this discussion every 10 years or so... about the time enough new members that dont know how many times we've rehashed this, reach critical mass and it suddenly becomes "an issue" to discuss.

-DallanC

1 - 20 of 138 Posts