Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I put in for the LE North Cache Archery Any Bull Elk with zero points as this was the first time I've even put in for LE Archery Elk/ Any legal weapon Elk in general. When I received my draw results, to no big surprise, I did not draw for the LE North Cache Archery Any Bull Elk hunt. Well after a couple of weeks after I received my draw results, the DWR called me up and said they had an LE archery tag with my name on it if I wanted it. I TOOK IT!!!

I'm a beginner at archery hunting and well...at hunting in general. Though I've been hunting for the past five years, I've taken two bucks, two swan, and one cow elk. I've learned that you need to put your time in before each hunt if you want to harvest anything.

I've been scouting the North Cache unit and have seen some cows and a couple of rag horns. I know this is a low success hunt, and I'm asking any of you that are out there for any suggestions on where to see/harvest a great bull elk on this unit.

Thanks in advance,

P.s. the mosquitoes are dreadful this year!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I've never shot a bull elk, period ...so right now the few rag horns I've seen are starting to look like "great bulls" to me. BUT, I don't want to waste this tag an a rag horn/spike. I've heard there have been some nice bulls harvested on this unit in the past, but now they are "sort of" few and far between. I guess I'm looking for a 300+ bull.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Why would shooting a raghorn or spike be a waste of the tag. You drew it with ZERO pionts. It was a bit of money though I guess. I just dont understand the attitude. JUst go hunt and have a good time. See some cool stuff. Climb a mountain and in the end if you get some meat for your freezer and the adreniline rush of having a bull, no matter his status as a trophy, within bow range, then by all means stick an arrow in him and enjoy the moment and the hunt!

·
Registered
199 Posts
The reason I asked what a good bull is to you is that the North Cache isn't what it once was and as others have pointed out, if you have a chance at a 2 year old rag horn, you may not want to pass it up. If you are seeing cows that is where i would start. Keep track of the cows the bulls will follow.

My advice, make sure the wind is always in your face, find a good water hole that the elk are hitting. Spend some time there early in the hunt. Be patient. Hunt the last 7 days hard every day. If you get a bull within 40yds take the shot.

Todd

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can buy a spike tag next year. I would rather hold out for that larger/more mature bull. As for the rag horns, I'll pass them up early in the hunt, but If I haven't had any success, and I stumble upon one later in the hunt and he presents an ethical shot, then"maybe" I'll take him. I'd rather pass on the younger bulls, so that they can mature. I'm ready for the challenge of getting a "nice" bull on this unit, as I know it has low success, even if that means I hold out even if I don't get one.

Todd, thanks for the advice! I will definitely put all that you suggested into practice.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My friend shot a small 5 point on the muzzy hunt two years ago, and that same year another friend shot a 6 point that scored 318 on the rifle hunt. You are in for a good tough hunt! You may not want to pass up too many bulls on this tag.

·
Registered
240 Posts
There are still plenty of 300" bulls on the unit, but I would not pass up too many mature bulls. I see a few every year that would be over the 300" mark. Getting within Archery Range is a different story. If I had an archery tag I would not shoot a rag horn, but I would not hesitate to shoot a mature 5 point if I were in range.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'll be doing the same hunt as well. Anyone have a friend with some good info. feel free to private message me. Thanks- it IS going to be a TOUGH HUNT. I have private messaged Bautizador with my contact information. Good discussion! Thank you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I also have a North Cache Archery Elk tag. I am finding alot of small bull like in the attached picture. The bigger ones have been a little harder to find.[attachment=0:ne8kv0mw]PICT0234_s.JPG[/attachment:ne8kv0mw]

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
From my experience switching what you will be satisfied with mid hunt leads to disappointment. As soon as you decide to switch and then don't see any more that are shooters, you'll be kicking your self for not shooting the first time. I would have a pretty good idea of what you want in your mind, big or small, and stick to it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I thought I could avoid posting but I guess not.

Having been very successful on the N Cache at finding big bulls, here are my thoughts for 2011 and most every year.

1. This is a 3-4 yr old mgmnt unit, there are very few mature bulls, and usually they are very hard to find.
2. All mature bulls will be flanked by numerous cows and smaller bulls making them difficult to take.
3. 2011 seems to be down on number of mature bulls (have not found one yet).
4. Success rates for all weapons are very low (< 50%).
5. A decent 5 point is better than average for bulls harvested each year, don't expect to be the exception.
6. Most hunters and scouters can't call worth a hoot and pollute the area quickly.
7. Decide what tastes better tag soup or grilled tenderloins. If you like grilled tenderloins then don't get the score sheet out when you see a bull just shoot. If you don't mind tag soup, then this is a great unit as it provides a great place to chase the dream. Each year one or two lucky hunters dreams come true and they find a wall hanger.
8. Oh yeah develop patience for cows and sheep as you are likley to spend a lot of time with them during your hunt.
9. It is a great unit, just doesn't fit the bill of Utah's famed elk units.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Geez! Aren't we getting fussy about this pursuit of antlers! A 260" bull is a Pope and Young bull a'ready. And ANY elk with a bow is awesome. Hold out if you feel you need to, but don't waste the tag by going home empty-handed.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
mulepacker said:
1. This is a 3-4 yr old mgmnt unit, there are very few mature bulls, and usually they are very hard to find.
Just as a heads up this objective changed last year and this unit is now a 4.5-5 yr old managment unit. The three year average harvest age right now is around 5.1. That still is not condusive to a ton of mature bulls but just wanted to give you a heads up on this.

If you are averaging 5 year old bulls I don't think it's unreasonable to look for 300"+ bulls.

Archery success is right around 17% for this unit.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts