Utah Wildlife Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
The point most don't understand including the DWR is that this unit encompasses two states . Idaho has an over counter tag for elk on the unit and harvest more branch antlered bulls off the N Cache than Utah each year. If they raised the age objective then this shows more ingnorance for the dynamics of elk movement on the unit. Yes the harvest age may equal 5.1 in Utah for the LE hunt however look at harvest percentage. The harvest age class is skewed, most folks have the idea going in they will eventually find a six point bull and well over half go home empty handed. However the few who do shoot an elk normally have found the six point they are looking for. Therefore the advice to decide if you want to eat your tag or fill it . If you don't mind eating the tag then your chances are 50% that you will shoot a bull that meets age objective. Again most of those will be first year five and six points with an occasional 7-8 yr old bull. If we look at all elk harvested on the unit including Idaho's I would wager the average age would be 3 yrs old. Keep in mind Idaho's season opens just as Utah's general season spike closes. These elk have been pushed by Utah hunters for 4-5 weeks not including archery and most are waiting to be harvested just over the border in Idaho. So after Utah has skimmed the cream, next years prospects are thinned by Idaho's meat hunters not worrying about antler size. Again this scenario makes it highly unlikely that you will find a 260" bull much less a trophy elk on the unit.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I'm not doubting you Mule. Just giving some updated info on the unit and pointing out that it's reasonable to say you can find a 5 year old bull on the unit. I'm not doubting they are few and far between.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I scouted this unit today. I have a tag for the September rifle hunt. I was pretty high and that country was surprisingly elkless. I did jump 3 bulls out of bed though. A spike, a raghorn, and a smallish 6 point. Lots of domestic cows. I think it is going to be a tough hunt. Oh well, it only took me 12 years of applying! Good luck to you archers on this hunt, I intend to kill on of the herd bulls that you leave behind!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was curious to hear if anyone has had any action or better yet success at downing a bull on this unit during the archery hunt. If you have hunted this unit during the bowhunt, let's here something from you. Good luck, only two more days!

Lone

·
Registered
3 Posts
No success yet. Headed out for the last day-all day. I have seen a few satellite bulls up high around tony grove, but most have been low. Mostly seeing the herds down low. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Mule Packer is spot on........especially regarding Idaho....

This year has to be one of the worst years I have ever seen on the North Cache....very, very few mature bulls. Maybe its weather, vegetation, or maybe just my ****ty attitude but i think its a tougher than normal year on the North Cache....

·
Registered
2 Posts
I hunted the bleep out of the unit this year but being my first year on this unit i have no comparison to earlier years. But i saw alot of elk and alot of bulls.... A LOT... i saw over 20 different bulls most betwean 250 and 300 bulls but i had a shot on a nice 350 bull and when i shot the knock exploded and the arrow basically tumbeled over itself missing the beautiful six point bull at 18 yards the knock that broke also came back to hit me in the right eye and when walking off the hill i walked into another nice six by six but could not open my right eye i thought to myself problem solved i will shoot with my left eye hahaha. forgeting about right eye left eye dominence i let one fly and missed by yards and the heard of 5 bulls ran into the trees i went looking for the arrow and again walked into more bulls at 40 yards but walked away knowing i had no chance. i them came back 3 days later to find the same bull my knock broke on inthe same place put a stock on and got him at 30 yards but no posible shots. the next day the pushed thousdands of sheep into my canyon and there where cowboys yodeling and hooping and yelling pushing every draw and i never saw those elk again after 3 days of no elk i left bunch grass and headed to cottenwood on the last week and on tuesday the 13th i think the bulls turned on and would not stop buggeling i saw bull after bull including a very nice probably 380 bull with a heard of cows i worked that bull for two days calling and calling and i could pull him into about 80 but then he would go back in the end the second to the last day of the hunt i shot my bull wich happened to be a spike with a fork on one side but i stayed true to my plan and with two days left i said i would shoot the first thing with horns. thats my hunt story but as far as im concerened i saw 3 bulls i know broke 350 one very big big bull that his royal tines have to be over 24 inches in length very nice but the rest where all smaller 5s 4s and a few 3s

·
Registered
334 Posts
Congrats bigboostin!!! Great story and better yet tender vittles :)

The epic is in the doing not the socre on a piece of paper. Glad you had a great hunt and an elk to put on the table.

Hoping to hear from the OP, bautizador to see how his hunt went?

Cheers,
Pete

·
Registered
5 Posts
Last year I helped out a friend who had drawn a Wasatch archery tag. On opening day we called in 16 bulls, 5 spikes, and 30+ cows. This year he helped me out. The north cache is defiantly not like the Wasatch or other popular LE areas. The whole time on the north cache we only called in 12 bull, 4 spikes, and a couple dozen cows. Part of that has to do with not being familiar with the area. It took a few days of hiking to find where the elk where concentrated. There are a few nice bulls on the north cache and a lot of small bulls. One morning I spent about two minutes at full draw, ten yards from a 330/340 class herd bull. I never had a shot with all the brush.

On the last day of the hunt I was hunting by myself. I had a bull answer my calls around 7am. I gave him a few good estrus calls and then moved forward 30 to 40 yards. The bull walked past at less than 20 yards. I was able to get a good shot on him and he only went 75 yards. He is a nice little 240 class 5X5 and tastes great. I had a blast, and hiked my butt off. I also missed about a week and a half of work. What more could a guy ask for. I was also able to meet new people that also have a love for the outdoors and hunting. Thanks for all the help and all the great stories.

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Im proud of big boostin for his spike ha ha i had a great hunt with him seen more elk in a weekend than ive seen in my life! No blood hit the ground that weekend but it was an awesome experience and quit intertaining to say the least! He worked his butt of and deserved that 1 point bull

21 - 37 of 37 Posts