Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Domestic sheep grazing allotments are up for review on the North slope of the Uintas, and there is a coalition of conservation organizations that are working to get domestic sheep removed from the High Uintas Wilderness. The reason? Bighorn sheep. Bighorns have been seen increasingly on many of the North slope allotments that they have not been seen on before, which is a good and bad thing. It is a good thing because they are expanding their range, which would indicate they could expand their population. The bad news is that Wild sheep and domestic sheep are currently not compatible. Domestic sheep carry a form of pneumonia(M. Ovipneumonia) that is deadly to wild bighorn sheep.

The Forest Service is taking comments on this issue until the end of December. You can submit written comments via snail mail, or email, or something called a facsimile at the following addresses:

David Whittekiend
Uinta-Wasatch-Cache
National Forest Supervisor
857 West South Jordan Parkway
South Jordan, UT 84095

Or

[email protected]

[email protected]

Or if you have a time machine you can fax it to:
801-253-8118

Here is the Forest Service notice with more, but vague information:
http://rutalocura.com/north_slope

If you want to see Bighorns thrive in the Uintas, then please let the Forest Service know that you want to see these domestic grazing allotments terminated.

Thanks, Josh Leavitt
Western Wildlife Ecology

·
Registered
622 Posts
Done!

You know what I find crazy is: you cant haul hay in the wilderness area that isn't certified "Weed Free" but we will put a domestic animal in there that caries who knows what.... I find that odd???

·
Premium Member
2,741 Posts
Done. Thanks Josh. Hey btw......what line of Leavitt's do you come from? PM me if you want. I bet we are long lost cousins.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Thanks josh!

Getting domestic sheep out of this area would be win not only for sportsmen/women. It would be good for anyone that utilizes the north slope for recreation. What an eye sore to reach those majestic alpine basins just to gaze upon mountain maggot after mountain maggot. Not real relaxing when all you ear is bah hh!

·
Administrator
7,936 Posts
I love these threads. Things that I never knew / considered.

Thanks for sharing!

·
Premium Member
2,741 Posts
Domestic sheep removal would benefit the mule deer as well.

·
Registered
37 Posts
After reviewing the forest service notice: http://rutalocura.com/north_slope, it appears that they are also studying the south slope allotments as well, since the sheep summer into that range.
They are seeking comments about how the sheep impact the environment and the public as well. I agree with Elk2's comments as well as the impact on wild sheep.
Here is a chance to make a difference. Please give your thoughtful comments.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts