Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I won the f-ing lottery. Some how I pulled a north slope summit moose tag with 18 points this year. I haven't spent a ton of time in this area throughout my life and its just far enough from home that its not super easy for me to get there and spend the kind of time scouting that I normally put into a great hunt. I've made it into the unit about 5 times this summer since I found out I drew the tag. Truthfully I'm a little overwhelmed by both the size of this unit and the amount of prime moose habitat there is. I've seen a couple small bulls on my trips so far but nothing I would really be interested in harvesting on a tag that normally takes a quarter century or more to draw. As a first time moose hunter I'm feeling a bit out of my depth and would really appreciate any and all help and advise you all would have for me.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Don’t worry about not seeing them right now. It’s hot. And they hate the heat more than we do. Be in the right terrain/habitat in September and you’ll find animals. When you find one, don’t over think or over complicate the stalk. Moose are pretty stupid or have a big lack of fear of humans, especially in high travel areas like hiking trails or roads. Keep the wind in your favor and move slow until you get within a comfortable shooting distance. Hit just below the center mass line on them and you’ll watch it fall over.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don’t worry about not seeing them right now. It’s hot. And they hate the heat more than we do. Be in the right terrain/habitat in September and you’ll find animals. When you find one, don’t over think or over complicate the stalk. Moose are pretty stupid or have a big lack of fear of humans, especially in high travel areas like hiking trails or roads. Keep the wind in your favor and move slow until you get within a comfortable shooting distance. Hit just below the center mass line on them and you’ll watch it fall over.
Dang thanks for the fast response. That all seems like really solid advise, especially the part about the stalking, with any luck I'm going to take my bull with traditional Archery tackle. Are you very familiar with the area? I've spent a ton of time pouring over maps and just can't decide which parts of the unit I want to put extra time and effort into. I am lucky enough to have 28 days of the hunt off work, so I plan to spend some time really working to find a trophy bull, but as I will be doing most of hunt on my feet its really hard to cover a unit that big. I am comfortable backpacking way back into the wilderness to find said big bull as I have friends with horses who have volunteered to help me pack it out. I just don't really know where to start.

·
Registered
385 Posts
First off, congrats, but Dang you at the same time! If it comes time for your hunt and need specific tips let me know. I might as well build a house in the unit I am there so often. Just as a general reference I would work the Henry's Fork area.

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
I was up Henry’s Fork a couple weeks ago. I saw a couple bulls and a whole lot of moose sign. Neither of the bulls were what I’d consider huge, but were okay. Both were in areas I’d never even think about killing a moose unless I had a few extra hands AND pack animals to do the heavy lifting.

Hauling an animal that big in multiple trips 10+ miles back to the truck, even on an established trail, does not sound fun. Of course, you can hunt much closer to the trailhead than where I saw the two bulls. And there was quite a bit of sign and good habitat in there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was up Henry’s Fork a couple weeks ago. I saw a couple bulls and a whole lot of moose sign. Neither of the bulls were what I’d consider huge, but were okay. Both were in areas I’d never even think about killing a moose unless I had a few extra hands AND pack animals to do the heavy lifting.

Hauling an animal that big in multiple trips 10+ miles back to the truck, even on an established trail, does not sound fun. Of course, you can hunt much closer to the trailhead than where I saw the two bulls. And there was quite a bit of sign and good habitat in there.
Thanks for the info it will for sure be and adventure.

·
Registered
85 Posts
i've seen moose in henrys fork bout a mile from gunsight pass, but check all around the basin. Its pretty easy to glass up moose in the meadows, but maybe checking the last 3-5 miles from the trailhead could be worthwhile

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Having packed a moose several miles through thick brush, no trail, with major elevation changes and no horses (not that they would have helped anyway with several 10-15' cliff series) trust me when I say DO NOT SHOOT A MOOSE IN THAT KIND OF PLACE! If you have a trail and a few strong backed, weak minded individuals then a 3-5 mile pack out ain't that bad on a moose. A big bull shiras is going to be about 30-50% larger than a mature bull elk.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Been lots of years but we use to run into them quite a bit by spirit lake, beaver meadow res, and hoop lake. Spirit Lake has a Lodge that would probably be a great place to go stay a night or two and pick the owners/employee's brain. Probably well worth the cost!

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
One of the biggest moose I've seen in Utah was in the Beaver Creek drainage just West of Hoop Lake. There's a good trail to get back in there but it's going to be a heck of a pack out from just about anywhere.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
There have been lots of reports from hikers on Kings Peak about seeing even 10 moose in a day. If you go there, hire horses and maybe a couple extra hands.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow, thanks everyone. Henry's fork and burnt fork were the two drainage that so far I have decided to spend most of my time in I think. Really hoping for some pictures of moose this year of anyone has them or knows where I can see them.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I haven't looked at your season dates, but I will be up there for 10 days starting on the 18th for my antelope hunt. I will keep my eyes out for anything worthwhile.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I wont call opening weekend a bust.... but I wouldn't call it a success either. Spent 4 days around henrys fork, and the Dahlgreen draw, with 1 evening around china meadow. Due to lack of able bodied help I had to stay somewhat close to roads much to my disdain. I managed to put eyes on 4 moose total but not an antler on any of them. Interesting how every archery hunter I ran into had seen bull moose every day they had been there but I couldn't run into any. Anyway with all the archery hunts over today, anyone put eyes on a monster bull that I should be actively chasing? I can't wait to get back up there... stupid work....

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am going up to kings peak next weekend, and i'll D.M. you what i see. Ive seen them around there before, including a bull that probably had a spread around 5-5.5 feet and huge paddles

·
Registered
12 Posts
Don’t be too discouraged by your first weekend experience. Was up in the same area two years ago with a friend who had a tag. Hunted hard the first week, saw about 20 moose, but only four small bulls. The next week it was like someone flipped a switch, lots of bulls in rut. My friend finally settled for a decent bull about 400 yards off the road.
Hair Head Eye Vertebrate Human body

1 - 20 of 67 Posts